Report: Google thinks it created a monster in Samsung

nsane.forums

Samsung's power in the Android scene must be carefully neutralized.

VeqvfOB.png
Google reached out to LG for the first time in making a partnership Android device last fall; is it trying to keep its distance from Samsung?

Google is getting concerned about Samsung’s dominance in the Android handset scene, according to a report Monday from the Wall Street Journal. Google is allegedly meeting with other companies to work together and help them become more competitive against the runaway Samsung. Samsung currently owns Android phone sales in nearly every important metric, including unit shipments and profitability.

The WSJ noted that Google’s senior VP of mobile and digital content, Andy Rubin, stated last fall that Google and Samsung’s union had obviously been fruitful, but the company could become a concern if it gained much more footing in sales. Google’s specific concern, according to the WSJ, is that Samsung “has become so big… that it could flex its muscle to renegotiate their arrangement and eat into Google’s lucrative mobile ad business.”

A renegotiation could also afford Samsung perks like earlier access to new versions of Android. It could give Samsung more weight to throw around in creating partnership devices with Google, such that it doesn't feel the need to compromise and then later one-up itself, as happened with the Galaxy Nexus and then Galaxy S III.

Samsung has the largest market share in the smartphone scene, with 32 percent in the third quarter of 2012 to Apple’s 15.5 percent. Samsung’s shipments dwarf all others’, with 55.5 million phones shipped in the same quarter to Apple’s 26.9 million.

Google is reportedly trying to drum up competition for Samsung in the form of Motorola’s X Phone, which would also directly benefit Google as the owner of Motorola. HTC seems to have dropped its predilection for scattershot releases of handsets barely distinguishable to the untrained eye in favor of the One True Flagship Phone, such as the new HTC One released this month. The WSJ states that Google hopes HP will get back into the smartphone game on the Android side.

Samsung doesn’t seem shy about pulling away from Google, either. The company has plans to release a handful of phones running the Tizen OS in 2013 in the East and may bring them around to the West if they’re a hit.

view.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 10
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's alive... it's alive! :D

Samsung have just got the balls to take on Apple. Whether its design, marketing, or court battles, they never backed down. Plus, the fact that, they supply hardware to Apple and also built their own processor, they're the only one poised to take on Apple. But IMO, Samsung would still need Android because of its worldwide support and custom roms.

Yes, but you ever even consider how about Android is relying on Samsung to survive? Which means, Samsung already has power to decide what kind of Android that they want instead of customizing the default Android that is published by Google. If Samsung decided to throw Android out... both sides will lose eventually, but the greater loss will hit on Samsung...

And what if Samsung, plan to create their own Android-based OS? I heard the Ubuntu OS is based on CM10. So, what is stopping Samsung to create their own version Android OS, which still has a compatibility to run Android apps?

Samsung had created their own OS based on Linux, I forgot the name, but it totally failed and has been discontinued.

Imagine this two scenarios: Samsung buys high mobile tech and sells; Google has the perfect mobile OS ... Normally, Google could get money to support samsung phones ...
BUT, Google continued to scam world-wide devs, by saying that its an OPEN SOURCE OS, yet secretly choosing which phones to update ...

Samsung took that in advantage, and MADE BILLIONS OF DOLARS selling high end mobile phones with the latest OS, supporting google need to dev a better software ...

In this process, google forgot about motorolla, they already had a phone company, all they need was new tech from FOXCON, ZTE, HUAWEI, etc, polish a new design, install the OS and get ready to change the world ...

Now what??? cut updates for samsung??? really???

The only way to win, google needs to release cheap high end motorola's with the latest android, lose some money like Sony did with PS3...

• Administrator

Imagine this two scenarios: Samsung buys high mobile tech and sells; Google has the perfect mobile OS ... Normally, Google could get money to support samsung phones ...

BUT, Google continued to scam world-wide devs, by saying that its an OPEN SOURCE OS, yet secretly choosing which phones to update ...

Samsung took that in advantage, and MADE BILLIONS OF DOLARS selling high end mobile phones with the latest OS, supporting google need to dev a better software ...

In this process, google forgot about motorolla, they already had a phone company, all they need was new tech from FOXCON, ZTE, HUAWEI, etc, polish a new design, install the OS and get ready to change the world ...

Now what??? cut updates for samsung??? really???

The only way to win, google needs to release cheap high end motorola's with the latest android, lose some money like Sony did with PS3...

Providing updates is not Google's responsibility. Google releases the new version to the companies in no time. It's the smartphone companies and service providers who take a long, long time to provide the updates to the general public. And I don't think Samsung is doing the best job out there to provide all the updates fast, there are better out there who provide the updates even faster.

Infact, the whole point here is not about updates, it's about Google wanting other companies to sell better phones and earn profits. To keep competition in Android.

Unfortunetely, from what I read, Samsung (and Apple) are the only one profiting majorly in smartphone business.

Is it? what about the motorola x ??? I've heard somewhere about better support for new models, to kick back samsung power, thats why, samsung is busy with intel, by joining BADA OS with Megoo, forming TISAN OS as a backup OS ...

What i think??? Google wants to close the source of Android and profit with motorola.

For me its all about ads revenue.

You see, when Bill Gates made Windows, there was no internet search i think, but when the first internet search engine came out, iexplorer got more usefull to the world.
If bill gates made a web search and force all search trough Internet Explorer, there would be no space to create google.

Google found a gap and used for years. And now, by creating their own OS, they force users to use google.com gaining profits from every phone.

Microsoft did woke up, by creating Bing and blocking outlook.com from androids. Supporting ads revenue on windows phones/pcs.

PPL want galaxy instead of android OS, they completely forgot about google, and tweak their phones with other search engines, adblockers, non google products, taking away the revenue from google...

Samsung always wins by selling the phone and they don't care about the ads revenue...

• Administrator

Is it? what about the motorola x ??? I've heard somewhere about better support for new models, to kick back samsung power, thats why, samsung is busy with intel, by joining BADA OS with Megoo, forming TISAN OS as a backup OS ...

What i think??? Google wants to close the source of Android and profit with motorola.

For me its all about ads revenue.

You see, when Bill Gates made Windows, there was no internet search i think, but when the first internet search engine came out, iexplorer got more usefull to the world.

If bill gates made a web search and force all search trough Internet Explorer, there would be no space to create google.

Google found a gap and used for years. And now, by creating their own OS, they force users to use google.com gaining profits from every phone.

Microsoft did woke up, by creating Bing and blocking outlook.com from androids. Supporting ads revenue on windows phones/pcs.

PPL want galaxy instead of android OS, they completely forgot about google, and tweak their phones with other search engines, adblockers, non google products, taking away the revenue from google...

Samsung always wins by selling the phone and they don't care about the ads revenue...

I'm yet to read about Motorola X.

Obviously, all Motorola phones will now have latest updates, it's their own phone. Samsung on the other hand, takes their own time to release updates that Google has already provided them. Trust me, Google has far more non-evil ways to stop Samsung.

Android was open source, and will remain open source, no matter what some Apple fanboys (majority of article writers are them). With so many devices, from mobile to tabs to watches to fridges to ovens to this, to that, being made in Android, they can never ever make it closed source.

Of course it's about money. Google makes money from Android by showing ads in apps and selling licenses to companies (I think so).

People want Galaxy as much as they want Android. People know Android is Android and Google owns Android (atleast many know) say. Even Google's phones can change search engines, add adblockers, use non-google products, Android means customization.

Now, back to the topic. Google's problem is, people buy phones with Galaxy brand, instead of Android brand, something Google don't want.

I know, Google ain't a saint, but just clearing things up. :)

Archived