Microsoft Windows alternative. Linux anyone?

zordon

• Administrator

Me thinks Windows vs Linux should be left out now.

Please concentrate on the real topic, Linux distros.

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
smallhagrid

Zorin. Meh.
I posted about it in my 1st reply in this thread:

I heard about the ZorinOS and coincidentally right at that same time an elderly (80+) friend confessed to me how he was really sick of win-doze and ready to try Linux - so we put ZorinOS 5 Ultimate on his PC.

He also prefers the plain (classic) windows style desktop and the Ultimate version comes with an ability to make it look/work like that, mostly.

(That version was based on Ubuntu 11.04 which is now officially unsupported.)

With the advent of ZorinOS 6, they went to Gnome3 and some other nasty stuff - and I tried it - and dumped it soon after.

Given that the ZorinOS is the brainchild of 2 teenage brothers, it does not surprise me a'tall that since then they've sort of wandered off and their project seems to be stagnating badly.

Their only real source of support is a forum which is now really depending upon one middle-aged man who voluntarily provides any support as he is able to: http://zoringroup.com/forum/

I also explained what I am using that works quite well for me in that same posting.

starting with this topic, hope we will have some forum specially discussing about linux here :)

anyone use slackware here? is it good? based on some report, it's quite popular..

• 3 weeks later...
insanedown58

The best way to open up the Linux experience from a former Windows user to me would be Ubuntu. Ubuntu has the largest share of apps in the Linux Market and also has the largest support. Ubuntu runs fast on old and new hardware. Heck its the only OS that I have seen in 2011 that required 512MB of RAM and less than a gigahertz of processing power. Although it makes old PCs run like new, it isn't the lightest. I tried it on my dad's Celeron D (Single Core) with 1 GB of RAM which was equivalent to my VM, Ubuntu ran faster than Windows 7 no doubt but when I ran Linux Mint on it, I can feel a huge performance boost. My recommendation falls on what you'll do:

For Web Browsing and Multimedia work, and Work on Dinosaur Hardware: Linux Mint

For Gaming, Web Browsing, and Work (with the largest software support) on year 2000 Hardware: Ubuntu

Also quick note: Linux Mint is also based on Ubuntu so anything that works in Ubuntu can run on Mint heck they even use Ubuntu's update servers sometimes . The difference is Linux Mint uses the Cinnamon GUI while Ubuntu uses the GNOME.

smallhagrid

It's very strange I know, but after re-downloading & re-burning Mint from 2 different versions and having it refuse to start on the same PC I use Ubuntu with, I finally gave up, so I've yet to see it & try it on my own PC...

The best way to open up the Linux experience from a former Windows user to me would be Ubuntu. Ubuntu has the largest share of apps in the Linux Market and also has the largest support. Ubuntu runs fast on old and new hardware. Heck its the only OS that I have seen in 2011 that required 512MB of RAM and less than a gigahertz of processing power. Although it makes old PCs run like new, it isn't the lightest. I tried it on my dad's Celeron D (Single Core) with 1 GB of RAM which was equivalent to my VM, Ubuntu ran faster than Windows 7 no doubt but when I ran Linux Mint on it, I can feel a huge performance boost. My recommendation falls on what you'll do:

For Web Browsing and Multimedia work, and Work on Dinosaur Hardware: Linux Mint

For Gaming, Web Browsing, and Work (with the largest software support) on year 2000 Hardware: Ubuntu

Also quick note: Linux Mint is also based on Ubuntu so anything that works in Ubuntu can run on Mint heck they even use Ubuntu's update servers sometimes . The difference is Linux Mint uses the Cinnamon GUI while Ubuntu uses the GNOME.

How about Lubuntu?

I'm using it at the moment and I've switched from Ubuntu because it was sluggish at the times...

Lubuntu vs Ubuntu :showoff: :D

Both Lubuntu and Ubuntu share Two Major Important Things:

• Same Core System
  • Same Repositories

Lubuntu and Ubuntu belong to the same family and talking about each as totally different two systems is not correct since they have some things in common. Thus, we use the same Forum Area and share many Wiki Pages.

The differences between Lubuntu and Ubuntu are:

• Different DE - Lubuntu uses LXDE while Ubuntu uses Unity as the default DE.
  • Different Default Applications
  • Lubuntu 12.04 is not an LTS (5 years support), but a standard release that is supported for 18 months (if you would like to change this please feel free to contact the developers to offer assistance in this area).

Other than that, they are the same. The DE is what makes Lubuntu a lightweight OS, and of course the selected applications too because we make sure to use the lightest applications which are not resource hungry.

Another alternative, especially for a beginner is to download and try The FullMonty http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=1413

It has all the software already installed for you. You can switch desktops to the one you want to use. You get...

Internet

Office

Games

Multimedia

Graphics

System

The amount of software is staggering, but it does make the iso almost 4GB.

Here's a video showing it from britec09

Archived