Who like to have a linux section in nsaneforums ?

emerglines

Linux section  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like that we have a linux section in our forum ?

@vissha:

Linux gets more stability like Windows XP/7

are you kidding me?linux is used by all the major servers/companies in the world and windows is more stable????come on!!

and yeah i would really like too see a dedicated linux section.who knows maybe one day i`ll switch to linux only because of the knowledge i have from nsaneforums.com/linux :D

I didn't mean that. Linux is for decades, and its good. But just now it has got a good display driver released for first time and many games & apps are just moving to linux. At this time, how can you tell linux is stable. More Bugs and loop-holes on the way, once it is reduced, then it'll be better as stable. But now for example, if you post a version of s/w app or game, it becomes waste the next day, because of bugs & many are new to linux platform for their products. So there will be more and more unnecessary posts and the server goes down and surely its a burden for the nsane team.

• Replies 46
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linux is a major thing today I think we should have a place for it here at one of the best tech forums i know and visit!

I guess we need more polls about linux to see what people fears and why they don't make a try cause linux is free more over an open source , anyone will reduce the cost to by each year or two a new computer or maybe security problem cause no lot of people try to find an easy OS to fallow when windows 8 lat them down !!!

I'll repeat things more simply: We need more Linux threads before a new section can be considered. Get us good threads, you get Linux sub-forum from us.

Good idea i will do my best :)

The problem isn't the section that needs to be added, the problem is to keep that section alive and active and not for a little while. To convince the staff the members need to prove them they can sustain that section for an unknown period.

I agree with Shought, use the other section in the meantime (with [inux] tags if you want to).

Would be nice but not enough posts about Linux. I always lose interest in it pretty quickly, then come back to trying it again and soon lose interest.

Have a look at this if you're interested B)

http://www.downloadcrew.com/article/26552-get_linux

Get Linux is a small Windows tool which makes it easy to locate, find out more about and download more than 130 Linux distributions.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Well, Linux is a small subculture, simply put, if it would be different, a Linux sub-forum would already have existed - long before this topic. :P

• 1 year later...

There have been plenty of Linux threads since this poll was posted.

Linux is extremely stable and has shown itself to be a very suitable desktop OS.

Besides what all has been said already - there's also a significant amount of Linux goodies & medicines which could be shared here.

These things might encourage folks who've been closed-minded about trying Linux to open up a bit and give it a chance.

I changed my mind (and vote) — not an easy thing to do. g4ZwQYe.gif

Hopefully, we can see some good guides, especially on the basics — folks need a bit of hand-holding, to take their first baby steps from Windows to Linux. F3h9xqz.gif

I've told folks for years already that the OS is just a foundation and as such merely needs to fit & be reliably stable.

For folks that are centered upon gaming Linux is not yet a great fit, but for most folks ??

The vast majority browse, do emails and some few smaller tasks - which work almost 100% identically no matter whether the underlying OS is windows, Android, ios, BSD or Linux.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system)

The main difference between windows and Linux that I have noticed is the incredible stability of Linux.

BSODs ??

I don' see no more steenken BSODs !!

PS:
As of June 2015, 97.6% of the world's 500 fastest supercomputers run some variant of Linux, including the top 107 fastest.
A mere one (1) supercomputer runs Windows. (Windows HPC 2008 - #437 of 500)

It's pointless to use linux if you use GUI :duh: , Windows is much better for that

Learn linux shell commands if you are really serious

TheNewBoston is releasing pretty good new videos for learning basics :)

Spoiler 1. Linux Tutorial for Beginners - 1 - Introduction

Spoiler 2. WiFi Wireless Security Tutorial - 1 - Getting Started

Spoiler 3. Computer Networking Tutorial - 1 - What is a Computer Network?

Spoiler 4. Nmap Tutorial for Beginners - 1 - What is Nmap?

For anyone truly wishing to learn those look like great videos to watch Simse64, thanks for sharing them.

I must also add this info based upon what I have seen myself:

It seems unfortunate, but true that most windows users are disinclined to put much time or energy into learning how things work or how to fix anything other than constantly re-installing stuff that fails.

So, as one who does enjoy learning stuff - I got interested in Linux back before it was user friendly at all and knew that one day it needed to become more attractive to normal, ordinary win-doze users.

Getting to a point with Linux where users who ONLY use the GUI can just use it was what I watched for, and for quite a few years before it finally got there.

The 1st distro that made it past the 'grandpa test' that I found was ZorinOS V5, several years back.

I helped an over 80 y/o friend install that in place of his beloved XP and he is still using it very happily.

After that I helped another friend who was very happy using win2k make the switch using Ubuntu with LXDE - and he is also still very happy with it.

Neither of these guys is ever going to get into the guts of how to do more than just use their PC for everyday tasks - and that is all they need it for - and they have less problems doing their ordinary stuff under Linux than they ever had under win-doze.

These guys are NOT gamers though, and as I said earlier - gamers always flame Linux and that is expected;

Another sort that looks down on ALL ordinary users is the techie sort, who usually thinks that anyone less skilled than themself in the tech realm is pond scum anyhow.

What I am pointing to here is that normal, low-level, totally non-technical users outnumber the gamers and techies by a very large margin.

So - having Linux distros aimed at making things GUI-based and easy for those who are sick of BSODs and other win-doze snafus is a very, very good development from what I have seen.

And for those adventurous folks who want it all - they can learn easily to have whatever OSes they want running under Linux as VMs, which is a great way to do things; and this is why I do it this way myself.

It is very easy to get very spoiled by the stability one's PC has when using Linux.

There's some really good linux distros available these days.

It would def. be good to have a place at Nsane for Linux software and cool ideas from "Linux nsaners"

Lol! I forgot this thread even exists, thanks to all the support, may the admins do a test for a couple of month like six months if the section doesn't look has enough contribution, so close it.

Thanks again to reviving this poll :) I love you all Nsaners :)

I'd like to hear from Admin on the feasibility of having a small area for Linux stuff.

It would probably be reasonably easy to make a small section available on Nsane.

Then we could see how it rolls.

P.S:

Gaming on Linux has improved ten-fold since ye olden days :)

Archived