Buying New Laptop

Anees77

hey guy's,

i'am planning to buy new laptop at the end of Feb. im confuised what to get to be honest

iam thinking about Toshiba L305-S5905 !! what u think? any better idea?

Intel Core 2 due T5800

2.0 GHz / 2m l2 Cache

3072 mb DDR2 ram

15.4 TruBrite WXGA Screen

250 GB HD Sata

Supermulti Double Lyer

Graphics Interl X4500 up to 1340mb <-- dunno how much that mean ??

for like 1280$ <-- price here in Jordan is different that another countries .. soo

any better choice's ?

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PsychoticxBloodxLust

well new laptop, thinks to look for, how much ram at least 2 gig for vista, i'd get atleast a dual core processor, video card i myslef fell in love with lenovo/IBM its what we use here at the college and the software and such is great, i love there system update utility cause it check with model number and hardware setup, and does bios updates and other device drivers and firmware, and can be set to run once a week in the background.

saves time hitting the web for stuff

Is there any site in particular(whatever language) your planning on buying from? Or it might even be cheaper to have it shipped from somewhere...

nah not from a website buying from a shop, and here in Jordan we don't use websites that much to buy like US or UK .. still not that trustful >.>

i want something good reliable and good graphics .. i don't know that toshiba graphics card is it 1.340 gig ? or what ?

I just did a search to see if it was cheaper else where, never heard of this site before so I don't really trust it. The point is that you might be getting ripped off as most things I see online shows $650-$800. Try searching newegg.com or tigerdirect...ebay?

found one from a website I've never heard of for $729

http://www.exporters.sg/showroom_item.asp?id=394971 $729

2.0 GHz / 2m l2 Cache

3072 mb DDR2 ram

15.4 TruBrite WXGA Screen

250 GB HD Sata

the above sounds fine..

as for video...

Can some1 tell me if Intel GMA X4500 is good for new games such as GTA4

PES 2009, and other new games that demand good Graphic cards like nvidia geforce 9600?

That onboard GPU mighnt be enough to play pong and tetris, but that's about it. You're not going to play GTA 4 on it. If you need a video card on a budget get a Radeon 4670 or nVidia 9600GT/GSO. If you can spend a little more money then a Radeon 4830 or nVidia 9800GT would be alot better.

...X4500 is perfect for minesweeper!

source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257360-3...4500-good-games

perhaps keep looking on the internet or around that local shop and do some more research.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I will just give you some tips on what to look for in a good laptop based on my experiences.

The number 1 thing to remember is brand is irrelevant in the computer industry because none of those big brands like sony, dell, toshiba etc make their own pc parts. When you open up the system you will see hard drives from Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital, the motherboard made in china and the cpu and gpu comes from their respective makers, the lcd screen will be from china as well and is brand independent etc.

The next thing is you need at least dual core cpu. You could either choose Intel core 2 duo or AMD Turion X2, I can tell you off the bat that you will be paying a hefty premium extra for Intel branded cpu and may not get any real life extra performance out of it so immediately I am in favour of AMD because they have matching performance for much less cost. The one and only reason you should choose to pay extra for an Intel CPU is if you do HD encoding. I do alot of HD encoding and my laptop with intel cpu beats my desktop athlon X2. Be aware that pentium dual core is much weaker than Core 2 Duo, they sound the same but the architectures are world's apart and so is the performance. Similarly the AMD Mobile Athlon is weaker than the AMD Turion X2.

Third thing is portability, if you never owned a laptop before then you should think carefully about whether you want a notebook or a netbook. You cannot have a laptop for gaming and portability, I say this from experience, they do not go hand in hand. A gaming laptop is always atleast 17 inches and is very heavy because it needs more heatsinks, high end graphics card, bigger battery.

At first you might say that 6 pounds is not much to carry around on your shoulder but I have a 15.4 inch laptop and the shit is heavy to carry around because in addition to the 6lb of the laptop there is the carry bag, adapter, any other peripherals which makes it about 8 pounds in total.

Fourth thing is the wireless adapter, Inten wifi and Broadcom wifi tend to perform the best out of all, in my experience. Some companies like Dell often rebrand Broadcom wifi to their own Dell wifi so if you see that then it's probably Broadcom wifi. Broadcom supports afterburner which Intel dosen't so you have to think if you need this boost in wireless performance or if your router supports it.

5th is the GPU. If you choose the intel route then do as sarge52 said and get atleast the Intel X4500 Graphics Media Accelerator. There are different models like X4500M and X4500MHD so remember if you don't need the HD version then save some money and go with the regular X4500M. If you choose the AMD Turion X2 or X2 Ultra then you have a choice of ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650 and HD3850 etc.The important thing is to get one that has hardware support for DirectX 10 because this will enhance performance in newer OS like Windows 7 and Vista.

hey leet, thank you so much for all your info, very helpful really

i want to ask you what do you think, i now have to choose between 2 laptops

1st ) http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/inn...50-125/1061141/

2nd ) http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/inn...00-1GT/1056706/

i dunno what to take, but i think ill go for Qosmio one

about the price's here its way different than any place else, so never mind about that, but about specifications anything same u recommend better than that or i dunno just what u think

The Qosmio is indeed better, but could you just tell us what price that one is and what price the other(in your country), I just need the numbers, currency doesn't matter.

Yes the Qosmio is indeed better, I agree with shought on that one. However the prices are important as well because even though the Qosmio F50-125 is a slight cut higher than the Satellite Pro A300-1GT, you have to take into consideration that sometimes they make the price difference outrageous and the real life performance of both systems may not be different. The only thing to make sure of is that you can live with the fact that the battery runtime is 1.5hours. If that will be a problem for you then you might need to look at other options. It's fine if you need the laptop as a desktop replacement but not great for portability.

The only thing to make sure of is that you can live with the fact that the battery runtime is 1.5hours. If that will be a problem for you then you might need to look at other options. It's fine if you need the laptop as a desktop replacement but not great for portability.

True, but then again the other only has 1h 50m, so that doesn't make much difference...

Qosmso cost nearly 1912$

Pro A300 cost 1631$

That's a pretty big difference, is I may ask, for what will you be using the laptop? (e.g. which applications/activities, do you want to be able to play games on it, do you want to run CPU intensive tasks like video encoding/extracting archives).

If you're just looking for your standard 'Office(Internet, email, Microsoft Office) and maybe an occasional game' laptop you've got yourself a great buy with the cheaper model :)

i love Technology ,, i love to get every thing great ,, simply i love it to be the best ( not matter if i use all what it can do or not ) .. mostly normal music , video ,, and i love games too

is there any more alternatives?

How many hours a week would you say you'd be gaming on the laptop? (And what kind of games? Graphics intensive or not?)

Wouldn't know about any more alternatives, I mean I can't judge what kind of money you are willing to spend nor can I see how much you'd have to spend in your country...

mostly i play Online MMORG game Called Runescape, its based On JAVA .. i spend like 6 hours normaly

and i love everything to be High Detail , but i care more about performance and speed , i really hate the lagg

max i can pay is 1900$ i think applied to my country

notice that the price is way different than any place else :)

I've played Runescape, but not anymore :)

I believe they removed the 'Wildy'(Wilderness)? That sucks big time, only thing I was there for was that :lol:

Anyway, if I were you I'd go for the cheaper model, the lag is only caused by your Internet speed and not by your computer(most likely), anyhow the cheaper model will be more than sufficient for you to run that game along with some other applications.

yea yea looooool they did removed it :) haha to stop the real world traders :D

but they did a very good improvments from that time until now :frusty: they put back Player VS Player worlds same as wildness , u can kill any place but different stuff

ya my internet speed is baaaaaaad lol but i dont mind really :P ill see what will happen then ill keep you updated :P

Go for the Qosmio. The 9500GT won't leave you behind snickering when playing a game as soon as the HD3650. Worth the money imho (Although I got myself a el-cheapo netbook, but it is very portable :))

Archived