Laptop Inverter connection

Ponting

We have frequent power cuts in our area.So i want to connect the laptop to Inverter for power supply.Is it safe to connect laptop to Inverter connection without a separate UPS for the laptop?Will Spike Buster be useful in this scenario?

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean, the Laptop's Charger? I always do it.. i.e To connect it to Inverter.

The main difference between UPS and Inverter is the switchover time. Inverter is not fast enough, so for a regular computer, the momentary brownout may just corrupt or even damage. But for a laptop, the internal battery compensates. I've never faced any issues for the past 2-3 years.

Another thing is, UPSes mostly are Sine wave (Which is close to the AC we get in our power outlet). Inverters typically go for square wave, or nowadays it is trapezoidal waveform. But we also have sine wave inverters available (Bit less efficient.. Means, inverter time will be less than a trapeoidal waveform). But that should be OK for the SMPS in the Laptop charger. Yes, A spike buster is a good idea. (Or, if you get a high voltage spike, you may have to change a varistor inside your charger. I have never run across that yet).

I modified a UPS I found in the trash, replacing the battery that was obviously dead and I connected my home server... maybe you can find some used UPS out off eBay and build yourself the battery pack out of sealed lead acid batteries used on home alarm systems (yep, APC UPSes have daisy chained sealed lead acid batteries inside!) that should work well for 5 years before the battery wears out ;)

Or you can buy a cheap universal laptop power supply, most of the chinese-built ones have 220 V + 12 V (with a car cigar-lighter cable to powers the inverter) but I don't think it would commute between the two if the mains goes down...

FYI, sealed lead acid batteries are really cheap and powerful, I paid 12 euros (around 15$) for a 12 V/7 Ah one, that keeps my box alive for 10 minutes before calling it quits :)

Why would you require an inverter for a laptop - whenever there's a power failure, the built-in battery would power the laptop. :unsure:

Why would you require an inverter for a laptop - whenever there's a power failure, the built-in battery would power the laptop. :unsure:

We are back to Dark age(only 6 Hrs of intermittent power supply from the electricity board in a day) in our part(only) of this modern world.Not enough power supply to charge the battery and use the laptop.

We are back to Dark age(only 6 Hrs of intermittent power supply from the electricity board in a day) in our part(only) of this modern world.Not enough power supply to charge the battery and use the laptop.

You could use a car battery and this to charge the laptop when the built-in battery goes down ;)

I chose to put up the UPS because I have often spikes and cuts, since I live in a rural area and the power grid is at 5 km from here... (and the DSLAM at 3 km, my router picks up lots of noise from the line that's still working with cables of the '70s)

Archived