foobar2000 1.2

jalaffa

Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include Replay Gain support, a low-memory footprint, and native support for several popular audio formats. Features include open-component architecture, allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player; built-in support for WAV, AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC, FLAC, OggFLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, CDDA, TFMX, and SPC; support through third-party plug-ins; extraction on-the-fly from RAR; 7-Zip and ZIP archives; full Unicode support on Windows NT; efficient handling of large playlists; a highly customizable playlist display; and customizable keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks to thylacine for the update.

Download

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The program description needs to be changed, as foobar2000 no longer supports Monkey's Audio out of the box.

Supported audio formats: MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND... and more with additional components.

robertcollier4

Changelog 1,2: FFmpeg is now used for MP3, AAC and Vorbis decoding

Is FFmpeg currently considered the best? (lowest cpu usage, lowest memory usage, best bit-to-bit output detail).

Does anyone know what AIMP uses for decoding? Does AIMP use FFmpeg as well?

• Administrator
Changelog 1,2: FFmpeg is now used for MP3, AAC and Vorbis decoding

Is FFmpeg currently considered the best? (lowest cpu usage, lowest memory usage, best bit-to-bit output detail).

Does anyone know what AIMP uses for decoding? Does AIMP use FFmpeg as well?

The license seems to suggest AIMP uses Bass library.

As for Foobar, FFmpeg quality depends on how well the software manages to use it. However, I'm yet to try it after that.

robertcollier4
The license seems to suggest AIMP uses Bass library.

Thanks, the BASS library seems to be excellent. The author of that library has a very lightweight player called XMPlay (http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html) that is only a 335KB download.

I am trying XMPlay with the DirectSound output plugin set to output 44.1khz 16-bit (the native format of my sound card and the native format of most of my audio files) - and from initial tests the quality is sounding better than Foobar2000 with the Kernel Streaming output plugin. The sounds in XMPlay are coming thorugh much richer and more crisp. Memory usage with XMPlay while playing a large song is quite low at between 1-2MB.

Archived