Buy some extra TB external HD's and SAVE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!

Ambrocious

I realize that many different services as well as websites are vanishing from the Internet at the speed of oppression (that's close to light speed in my opinion). I took it upon myself to start saving files on some external drives rather than deleting them because I thought that one day, the Internet would be lacking certain files and information. Whole websites and services could cease to function and hardly anyone would notice all because the Internet is like the ocean.

My special request to all nsaners is simple yet serious: save as much stuff as you can, you will love me for it later. If you haven't noticed anything recently as far as websites vanishing and services just stopping, then I ask you to disregard this. If you HAVE noticed...I ask you to save as much as you can. You may very well be one of the few people on Earth one day who own something exclusive all because of the massive move of Internet censorship.

There are special data centers in the United Sates that have the main role of cataloging the entire Internet, this is quite literally. They then use multiple databases to seek and destroy targets that they don't desire (websites, services, so called "piracy tools"). Some of these targets may not be well known, but you may know of them. Save as much as you can, this is simply a request, not a demand.

One last note: don't delete something just because it doesn't work anymore. You never know when something may come back from the dead or if that .exe can be cannibalized and then remade into something awesome. I am taking it upon myself to be a preserver of the Internet before the fall of all that we know. Please take me seriously.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to save Everything. I already move programs to an external drive that I'd want to keep in case I need it, games too. It's amazing how hard it is to find stuff online sometimes. Good idea Ambrocious.

I'm going to download the internet for 15/12/12 :lol: see you in my next life.

LOL @ EVERYONE. Thanks guys. Even though you guys made me laugh, I'm sorta serious. It's not a bad idea to try and preserve stuff.

" Danny , pack up we are being nuked .

We need to head into the bunker right away . "

" Hold it , hold it .. I m backing up my HDD .. Need to save my p0rn ! "

:P

People are not hearing me. Save the stuff TODAY. God only knows when it's all crashing but it's soon probably. Thats my amature analysis. You will wish you listened to me.

Buy a big NAS, insert two dozens of hard drives, keep some spare ones safe (just in case one of those fails), make a RAID5 array, and voilà, that's your own cluster, redundant and obviously fault tolerant.

That's going to be pretty expensive, but actually you can save some money from buying an used NAS (or use an hardware RAID controller + some nice rig to keep up with the I/O load, with Windows Server 2008 R2 as the OS -- SMB transfers can burst at 110 MB/s over 1 Gbit) and lots of hard drives from the company itself.

Happy archiving ;)

(obviously if you need only 3 TBs, you could have four 1 TB disks on software RAID5, over a stock 4 ports SATA controller, that will be fine if you don't mind some I/O overhead about the OS keeping the RAID fully functional, and some Linux distro such as Debian will do the trick, at install time you can setup the RAID arrays without any hassle, but good luck on replacing the drives, it's pretty hard to master md!)

Archived