Weird Power On Behavior

AndromedaAnima

AndromedaAnima

Whenever I turn on my computer by pressing the power button, it shuts down after a couple of seconds. However, if I turn on my computer by holding the power button for a couple of seconds, my computer turns on and boots properly. I find nothing that's out of place when I use my computer. Never have I encountered anything like this before. Any idea on what's causing this weird behavior?

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then do press the power button for couple of seconds..what's the deal!

AndromedaAnima

It just seems odd that's all. Never encountered anything like it. Just got curious...that's all since all my cables and wires seem tight and intact.

It just seems odd that's all. Never encountered anything like it. Just got curious...that's all since all my cables and wires seem tight and intact.

Well it's a weird problem..How old is your system?

AndromedaAnima

I've got a five year old desktop with a motherboard, PSU, and case being almost three years old. The thing is I'm considering upgrading the aging parts of my desktop (CPU, RAM) and deciding whether or not to start of with a brand new desktop. Just trying to see if I can salvage any parts.

I had a similar issue with my gaming cabinet which wouldn't power-on with the usual soft touch - had to literally keep it pressed down until the system started. Recently, I dismantled the power-switch and performed cleanup - it's back to normal, now.

There's also a setting in my GIGABYTE BIOS that dictates the action of the power-on switch - maybe you could take a peep in there, first before servicing the switch.

I've got a five year old desktop with a motherboard, PSU, and case being almost three years old. The thing is I'm considering upgrading the aging parts of my desktop (CPU, RAM) and deciding whether or not to start of with a brand new desktop. Just trying to see if I can salvage any parts.

5 years is pretty old..May be it is time to change the CMOS battery..

Posted Image

Just open the case and shortcircuit the pins of the bowerbutton on your mainboard, if it starts right away your powerbutton is dead ;-)

Maybe CMOS battery is the problem. You should also check there's no dust in there. Also check the PSU.

• Administrator

Similar problem here. Started happening after 6 months of making the PC. Power button might be broken a little. Not much of a problem though. :)

Archived