Stardock Start8 1.09 Beta

anuraag

Not true ?

1.1 could be version 1 build 1

1.10 could be version 1 build 10 which seems to the case here after 1.09 this is 1.10 so build 10 of version 1

Nope, version 1 build 1 was Start8 1.01. v1.1 would be the same as v1.10

• Replies 39
  • Views 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try uninstalling with Revo for example, then install, stop service and set it to disabled. Sign out an sign in. Do what the medicine says (right-click, run as admin) inside the app's folder. Set the service to automatic. Restart pc.

Try uninstalling with Revo for example, then install, stop service and set it to disabled. Sign out an sign in. Do what the medicine says (right-click, run as admin) inside the app's folder. Set the service to automatic. Restart pc.

already done it! It does not work! do you have? ;)

already done it! It does not work! do you have? ;)

You are right, it doesn't seem to work properly. Maybe it needs network access blocking.

I've tried that too, in the hosts, Internet lock and firewall, have also been searching the registry for leftover lying and interfering from version 1.03. The only thing that helps is a new fix or buy. :)

. . . . . . . . . in what way - this is a question I've asked before and have not received any specific answers, yet. :think:

Have you tried it? If not, here you go:

http://imgur.com/a/JjNfb

Have installed this application under a similar environment and have started testing it against StartIsBack - first impression is; it's pretty buggy. :think:

never mind, shall test in-depth and then post my observations, here.

After having used both these Start Menu utilities, I realize that it's quite a close contest - Start8 does have a couple of more features than StartIsBack.

However, 2 critical reasons that will make me continue with StartIsBack are:-

• Start8 cannot be skinned globally in the present Windows 8 environment and
  • Start8 does run in the background as a process and services

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
many friends said that start8 stop working today. Use pach by PainteR

1.03 stopped working for me today (press Start, nothing happens), and I did use that patch.

After having used both these Start Menu utilities, I realize that it's quite a close contest - Start8 does have a couple of more features than StartIsBack.

StartIsBack 1.3 looks good enough for me. Unless it acts up, I'll continue with it now that Start8 has become a problem. To get the bottom left corner to work, I did need to add 'EnableStartEdge' to the StartIsBack section of the Registry (it's odd that's the only corner the UI ignores), but that's easy enough.

StartIsBack 1.3 looks good enough for me. Unless it acts up, I'll continue with it now that Start8 has become a problem.

Yep, you can always come back to your preferred Start8, once someone fixes it properly. ;)

Yep, you can always come back to your preferred Start8, once someone fixes it properly. ;)

Although maybe it's my preferred one now, since I don't really see a downside and I like the idea of using the Start screen only for Metro.

It's still a little confusing how they say that the product "contains a large amount of code" yet has nothing starting up (Start8 doesn't start things up for fun), so I looked a little further in their forum and found this, though it doesn't explain how the function calling is happening if nothing is running. Is it the immaculate program? Doesn't matter, just curious.

Now an explanation i owe you guys about 'very special magic'. There is still start menu code present in explorer.exe. Because it's shared with jump list code, it wasn't removed totally. Several shell interfaces were deprecated and removed alongside with some start menu code. I reimplemented them (during Ex7forW8 development) and several parts of start menu, as well i had to reimplement start button, win key code and other things. How hacky is this? Fortunately, a bit. It's not hackorama-all-over, just two private functions in explorer.exe i have to call.

updated painter patch and his prepatched installer have been added to the fp

thanks to olexijl for letting us know :cheers:

Archived