How to restore the good old Task Manager in Windows 8

shamu726

Some users are extremely pissed off with new “modern” task manager in Windows 8. Although some of its functions are not bad, like the “command line” column in the task list or performance graph, I don’t really need them. The old Task Manager provides a more consistent way of task management for me, it is familiar and the new one does not even remember the last active tab. So I am definitely one of those who want the good old, more usable Task Manager back in Windows 8. Let me show you how to do that with a few simple steps.

2. Open System Properties and check which version of Windows 8 you are running – x86 and x64. Mine is x64:

Posted Image

3. Double-click on the appropriate reg file . e.g. click on install_x64.reg file if you have Windows 8 x64 like me, otherwise click on the install_x86.reg file.

4. That’s it! You don’t need to reboot, you don’t to do anything else. Just press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys on your keyboard and enjoy the return of your good old friend:

Posted Image

Note: Import the UNINSTALL_x86_or_x64.reg file to restore the “new” Task Manager of Windows 8 back.

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4. That’s it! You don’t need to reboot, you don’t to do anything else. Just press the Ctrl+Shit+Esc keys on your keyboard and enjoy the return of your good old friend:

Sorry, n00b here - can't seem to find the Shit key on my keyboard (please advise.) :unsure:

4. That’s it! You don’t need to reboot, you don’t to do anything else. Just press the Ctrl+Shit+Esc keys on your keyboard and enjoy the return of your good old friend:

Sorry, n00b here - can't seem to find the Shit key on my keyboard (please advise.) :unsure:

:lmao: Didn't even notice that. Typo corrected.

Your Shit Key is right next to the Any key that software keeps asking for.

Posted Image

=========

Thanks for the tip.

Anyway I'm trying to get use to the new task manager.

That's why I love RocketMan. Never fails to make my day lol. Have to say though, Shamu made it really easy this time around :P

Archived