Making custom display driver to work on Win8

pr1xsel

Does anyone have experience with creating Display driver for Windows 7, 8? Or knows how to force higher resolution?

I have an old laptop that had XP on it, I installed Windows 8 on to get more speed but my display driver is incompatible and the generic driver included With Windows 8 doesn't give me options to change my resolution. 1024x768 has wrong aspect ratio, it should be 1280x800. < I read that long ago some people managed to tweak things in registry, but I didn't find anything in regedit.exe to modify the generic driver defaults.

Laptop is old but websurfing is fine, driver I need to get is ATI X300 - Toshiba custom made, tried ATI official ones also but both keep saying that you have latest drivers installed so I need to replace or modify something?

Any suggestions or tips?

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vista or Win7 drivers working fine on Windows 8

I have some old laptop and installed Windows 8 and i had to use vista drivers and it worked fine!

Vista or Win7 drivers working fine on Windows 8

I have some old laptop and installed Windows 8 and i had to use vista drivers and it worked fine!

I know that, have one newer DELL laptop with ATI x1300 but TOSHIBA with x300 is much older and some laptop manufacturers have different drivers so I need to modify drivers somehow to make Windows support it.

Managed to install 2007 date driver made by OMEGA but how do I make Windows to understand which display I am using to allow me to change the resolution? Or any workaround? I like experiments.

You could try adding the Hardware ID to the driver Installation INF,

or edit the [Manufacturer] line to include NTx86.6.2

If is your laptop that old you should stick with Windows XP!

Amen Brother :rockon: :pirate:

XP was too slow and kept hanging even though everything was uninstalled, everything is much more faster on Windows 8 !

Like defragmenting process is much more faster (ultimate defrag, perfectdisk - awesome boottime defrag on it to fix mft and pagefile)

Also running Windows 8 the fan doesn't make loud noise anymore.

I know it's old but playing music and surfing web is fine to do on it. Friend brought it to experiment on it.

• Administrator

I know it's old but playing music and surfing web is fine to do on it. Friend brought it to experiment on it.

Have you tried TinyXP, Puppy Linux, etc? Cause Windows 8, inspite of having good performance, needs good enough RAM too.

Have you tried TinyXP, Puppy Linux, etc? Cause Windows 8, inspite of having good performance, needs good enough RAM too.

It has 1gb Ram so that's why Windows 8 with its ram cache optimizations and other new things is faster than XP, Processor is 1.7ghz Intel Centrino.

Will look later what to try next.

I think you still should stick with XP because when i was using xp on my laptop my ram was below 100 mb but on Windows 8 its orund 400 mb.

For ram optimization you can always use other software for that u dont need Windows 8 to optimize RAM!

I think you still should stick with XP because when i was using xp on my laptop my ram was below 100 mb but on Windows 8 its orund 400 mb.

For ram optimization you can always use other software for that u dont need Windows 8 to optimize RAM!

What software is there that will cache files in ram more often like its in Windows 8?

Ram is meant to be filled to make things faster and use hdd less often!

• Administrator

What software is there that will cache files in ram more often like its in Windows 8?

In 1GB RAM, you can hardly run Windows, forget about browsers or RAM caching.

You can use cache softwares or something even another level like RAMDisk, if you use XP like system.

In 1GB RAM, you can hardly run Windows, forget about browsers or RAM caching.

You can use cache softwares or something even another level like RAMDisk, if you use XP like system.

Lol, if you guys use Windows XP, memory hog - Google Chrome and some weird antivir software then ofcourse 1gb is not enough!

On my 2GB ram laptop I barely see my ram usage to be higher than 900mb - that's with playing video, running Skype, Firefox Nightly with huge amount of tabs ( usage is between 150-300mb ) and Photoshop!

unknownasphyxiated

try download from amd website

then open device manager > remove microsoft generic driver > install driver from amd

Archived