RAM usage

Hitman6267

Hello,

I've downloaded Google Desktop sidebar and have a gadget that displays CPU and memory usage. I have 1Gb of ram and even when idle the memory usage is always 500+ MB. Is that normal ? (using XP SP3)

If any one knows how much google desktop uses resources (memory, cpu power...) that would help me decide if I should keep it. It's useful but not that useful it it's slowing down my PC.

• Replies 9
  • Views 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the Google thing use 500MB RAM or all your programs together? I think all your programs together, that's no problem.

All my programs, I'm only asking because I was thinking about long ago when I only had 256 MB RAM how was my pc able to run windows then ? Not much difference in the software. (like 4 years ago).

All my programs, I'm only asking because I was thinking about long ago when I only had 256 MB RAM how was my pc able to run windows then ? Not much difference in the software. (like 4 years ago).

'Not much difference in the software' and 'like 4 years ago' are quite controversial :P

But anyway, the pagefile was there :lmao: Slower performance, but no out of memory errors.

'Not much difference in the software' and 'like 4 years ago' are quite controversial ;)

I didn't mean it like that, what I meant was back there I mostly used msn messenger on windows xp, and now the 500+MB use is with only having windows live messenger.

So I take it the memory usage is normal ?

'Not much difference in the software' and 'like 4 years ago' are quite controversial ;)

I didn't mean it like that, what I meant was back there I mostly used msn messenger on windows xp, and now the 500+MB use is with only having windows live messenger.

So I take it the memory usage is normal ?

Well, it depends on the programs you have running in the background, but for a normal desktop PC running XP it's a bit above average I think...

i use window xp pro and with utorrent,mirc,norton internet security running i only use 362mb of ram so i believe you need to go to your process and do some tweaking and turn off stuff you don t need i recommand this site for you to look at http://www.blackviper.com/

• Administrator

Free memory = wasted memory. The only time you should worry if you regularly have less than 10% free memory available. Its a very bad way to think "my computer uses X mb", performance and stability should be of primary concern. Does your computer run as "quickly" as you would like?

Windows will allocate applications the memory they need to function correctly. If needed it will release resources/ page them if needed.

Archived