Which laptop should I buy?

Tweety.Abd

Hello,

I need to buy a new laptop since my current one is messed up. I've narrowed down my search to two laptops. Here are the specs:

Brand: Toshiba Satellite

Processor: Core i7 3630QM - 2.40/3.40 GHz

Operating System: Windows 8 x64

System Memory: 6 GB DDR3 1600MHz (expandable up to 16 GB)

Hard Drive: 750 GB - 5,400 RPM

Display: 1,366 x 768

Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M Graphics DDR3 (2GB dedicated memory)

Price: $994.99

Link

Brand: HP Pavilion

Processor: Core i7-3612QM - 2.1/3.1 GHz

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

System Memory: 6 GB DDR3

Hard Drive: 640 GB - 5,400 RPM

Display: 1,366 x 768

Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M Graphics DDR3 (2GB dedicated memory)

Price: $848.99

Link

Brand: Dell Inspiron Special Edition

Processor: Core i7-3612QM - 2.1/3.1 GHz

Operating System: Windows 8 x64

System Memory: 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz

Hard Drive: 750 GB - 5,400 RPM

Display: 1,920 x 1,080

Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M Graphics GDDR5 (2GB dedicated memory)

Price: $793.52

From what I know, the specs aren't much different but the price gap is a lot. So I wanted to consult you guys before I made my purchase. I need to buy either one within one week.

Thank you! :)

Edit: Added a new laptop to the list.

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If these are your only options, i would go with the HP.

I've had several problems with a Toshiba and the customer care was awful. Regarding HP i can only say good things about them. I've had problems with a digital camera, they replaced and let me keep the old one, the same happened to a printer and i had some problems with a laptop they replaced the motherboard in two days and i didn't even had to leave home.

Regarding the problems i had with both the HP laptop and camera...... it was my fault :P

But....... if you can afford it... buy a Thinkpad, even with lower specs, After you have one, you'll find its really the only option.

If these are your only options, i would go with the HP.

I've had several problems with a Toshiba and the customer care was awful. Regarding HP i can only say good things about them. I've had problems with a digital camera, they replaced and let me keep the old one, the same happened to a printer and i had some problems with a laptop they replaced the motherboard in two days and i didn't even had to leave home.

Regarding the problems i had with both the HP laptop and camera...... it was my fault :P

But....... if you can afford it... buy a Thinkpad, even with lower specs, After you have one, you'll find its really the only option.

Thanks for your input. And can you recommend a Thinkpad (with link). I'd appreciate that.

PS. I've added a new laptop to the list, let me know what you think about it.

I have a Lenovo about 6 months old... they have a forum. Lots of info there.

Lenovo .. you should visit their forums before you buy their computer. Read some of the service results.

Toshiba I always had good luck with their support/service on laptops. They have an active forum too.

My last two laptops were toshiba's.. I have good experiences and respect for them.

You certainly can learn which laptops you might want to avoid in the forums of both.

I would go for Dell Inspiron Special Edition cause it has more RAM, bigger HDD, FullHD display, better graphics.But the choise is yours so...

Personally, I dislike the Pavilion and Inspiron series alike, they feel rather cheap (build quality).

So, my vote would go for the Toshiba. Unless you can get an HP ProBook/EliteBook or Dell Latitude or something like that.

Personally, I dislike the Pavilion and Inspiron series alike, they feel rather cheap (build quality).

So, my vote would go for the Toshiba. Unless you can get an HP ProBook/EliteBook or Dell Latitude or something like that.

Or the ThinkPads series - they're all great products. But since I think you're looking for all around / almost a gaming laptop, why don't you try Sager / X-COM / or any others OEM that produce Clevo series? Like these http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=9

I'm big time into laptops and can only testify that the ones above who recommended IBM / lenovo are aware of what they're talking about. :yes:

ATM, my personal [secondary] system is a Dell laptop - please don't buy it (budget Dells are horrible.)

On hindsight, at a different tangent - I'd find it personally criminal to buy a laptop (or any other lustful stuff) based on the brand. Connoisseurs would always base their choice on model rather than brand. This line of thinking is feasible though, only when one's budget is not a constraint.

As RocketMan said, budget Dells are horrible, but Dell has some pretty cool machines.

Try these:

http://www.lenovo.co...nkpad/t-series/

Also check for discount coupons here:

http://www.thinkpads...lenovo-ecoupon/

You can also get pretty good deals at the outlet store:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=A4A41B4CA13D4754AE2FBF7721EBF357&current-category-id=908B184AED4F29502E6EB3E1E76AFC13&menu-id=products&ref-id=products#/?facet-1=1&page-index=1&facet-2=11&page-size=10

Unless you're really into gaming... these are built for work. I have a X-series and i couldn't be happier.

They will last you years without any problems.

In terms of build quality and features, you won't find anything like it.

I would go for Dell Inspiron Special Edition cause it has more RAM, bigger HDD, FullHD display, better graphics.But the choise is yours so...

Thanks, but I'm considering the weight & looks in the equation as well where Dell fails to deliver.

I don't have access to HP ProBook/EliteBook or Dell Latitude, sadly. Thanks for your opinion :)

Or the ThinkPads series - they're all great products. But since I think you're looking for all around / almost a gaming laptop, why don't you try Sager / X-COM / or any others OEM that produce Clevo series? Like these http://www.sagernote...&selected_cat=9

The problem with the TinkPads is that they don't look as good and are really thick (& heavy?) and I don't like the trackball thing in the middle of the keyboard, so its a no go for me. About the Sager, I do not think its available in my locality and its not well known brand, I can't take any risks here, but thank you for your recommendations :)

I'm big time into laptops and can only testify that the ones above who recommended IBM / lenovo are aware of what they're talking about. :yes:

ATM, my personal [secondary] system is a Dell laptop - please don't buy it (budget Dells are horrible.)

On hindsight, at a different tangent - I'd find it personally criminal to buy a laptop (or any other lustful stuff) based on the brand. Connoisseurs would always base their choice on model rather than brand. This line of thinking is feasible though, only when one's budget is not a constraint.

I need someone to translate what you wrote for me, its beyond my mental level :P

As RocketMan said, budget Dells are horrible, but Dell has some pretty cool machines.

Try these:

http://www.lenovo.co...nkpad/t-series/

Also check for discount coupons here:

http://www.thinkpads...lenovo-ecoupon/

You can also get pretty good deals at the outlet store:

http://outlet.lenovo...11&page-size=10

Unless you're really into gaming... these are built for work. I have a X-series and i couldn't be happier.

They will last you years without any problems.

In terms of build quality and features, you won't find anything like it.

Yep, Dell budgets are crappy, that's what I'm using right now. Lenovos are no go for me, because they don't look good enough and probably heavy. And I like the laptop to be a tad slimmer, but thank you for your input :)

Some questions:

What's the purpose of this laptop:

- Are you using this laptop for rendering?

- Are you using this laptop for gaming?

- Are you using this laptop for basic computing (web surfing, running basic programs, etc)?

Is this laptop custom built or pre-built?

And what's your tech level?

- Are you comfortable taking apart a laptop?

- Do you know how to swap parts in and out?

- Can you read instructions (serious question)?

Once you answer the above, I can probably recommend a laptop that will benefit you the most.

On a side note: Take a look at this thread because it may give you a second option for buying a laptop.

Yep, Dell budgets are crappy, that's what I'm using right now. Lenovos are no go for me, because they don't look good enough and probably heavy. And I like the laptop to be a tad slimmer, but thank you for your input :)

Well... about the looks... it sure is a matter of personal taste, but they are very very light and if you want to go slim... T430s. As slim as it gets :)

Oh, don't make the mistake of confusing any lenovos for Thinkpads, they're a different class.

Strange no body mentions the ASUS line up ..

Believe me , they are the best when it comes to a complete package .

Excellent built quality and it does deliver ! ;)

And add on to it the fact that ASUS has the lowest hardware failure rates in the industry .

Top product .

Also worth mentioning is the VAIO range . For thinness with perfromance they have a special line up . ( something like the Z series ... plz check ) .

I have an acquaintance who deals in laptops and he vouches for VAIO any time ...!

When I shop for a laptop, there are 2 basic things that I look into - processor and graphics. These are the 2 vital components that cannot be easily changed after the purchase (as far as laptops are concerned.)

The next most significant factor is the availability of FreeDOS - I never waste money on a pre-installation (OS will always be my own free :pirate: one.)

Finally, I dictate terms on the RAM - opting for a lower rated stick (in case my budget is really slim.) Additional RAMs and other peripherals can always be bought and installed later - during windfalls (processor & graphics cannot and should not be compromised at the purchase stage.)

When I shop for a laptop, there are 2 basic things that I look into - processor and graphics. These are the 2 vital components that cannot be easily changed after the purchase (as far as laptops are concerned.)

The next most significant factor is the availability of FreeDOS - I never waste money on a pre-installation (OS will always be my own free :pirate: one.)

Finally, I dictate terms on the RAM - opting for a lower rated stick (in case my budget is really slim.) Additional RAMs and other peripherals can always be bought and installed later - during windfalls (processor & graphics cannot and should not be compromised at the purchase stage.)

Of the 3 laptops mentioned, which one do you believe would be best? In terms of performance & durability. And thank you for your tips, will take it into consideration :)

Get a Ultrabook. :tooth:

I would, but there are hardly any utlrabook with a discreet graphics card..

Some questions:

What's the purpose of this laptop:

- Are you using this laptop for rendering?

- Are you using this laptop for gaming?

- Are you using this laptop for basic computing (web surfing, running basic programs, etc)?

Is this laptop custom built or pre-built?

And what's your tech level?

- Are you comfortable taking apart a laptop?

- Do you know how to swap parts in and out?

- Can you read instructions (serious question)?

Once you answer the above, I can probably recommend a laptop that will benefit you the most.

On a side note: Take a look at this thread because it may give you a second option for buying a laptop.

I'll be using the laptop for rendering, coding, and using 3D softwares like 3DS Max. Gaming isn't my priority since I have my desktop for that. The laptop is pre-built as I understand. I can take the laptop apart, and put it back together. But I didn't understand your last question, could you please elaborate it more?

Strange no body mentions the ASUS line up ..

Believe me , they are the best when it comes to a complete package .

Excellent built quality and it does deliver ! ;)

And add on to it the fact that ASUS has the lowest hardware failure rates in the industry .

Top product .

Also worth mentioning is the VAIO range . For thinness with perfromance they have a special line up . ( something like the Z series ... plz check ) .

I have an acquaintance who deals in laptops and he vouches for VAIO any time ...!

ASUS would be my choice, but there aren't any ASUS in my locality sadly. I'll check out the VAIO Z-series, thanks :)

I'll be using the laptop for rendering, coding, and using 3D softwares like 3DS Max. Gaming isn't my priority since I have my desktop for that. The laptop is pre-built as I understand. I can take the laptop apart, and put it back together. But I didn't understand your last question, could you please elaborate it more?

ASUS would be my choice, but there aren't any ASUS in my locality sadly. I'll check out the VAIO Z-series, thanks :)

Laptops really aren't the best for rendering... at all. But anyway, as Rocketman mentioned, you can skimp on certain components and then upgrade them later as needed. Just don't skimp on the CPU/GPU. I was going to mention it, but he got there first. ;)

But anyway, as far as the Sony Vaio goes, take a look at my link in the previous post. You can save some money if you do decide to go that route.

Usually the discreet graphics cards for laptops are designed for gaming, so I'm not sure if you going to get much mileage from the rendering and using Maya/3ds Max from the GPU. In fact, I don't think any of those programs use the GPU at all during rendering, but only in the view window. It's purely CPU intensive.

I used to be a student commercial artist, and I've had fellow classmates who used laptops for 3d and Photoshop work. Needless to say, majority of the laptops failed, or were very, very unreliable. Spending 100 hours on a project just to watch it go up in flames with your laptop is a damn shame. So, you're better off sticking to a desktop (perhaps taking that money and upgrading your main rig if it's necessary). Else, you may find that you spent $1000 on a new laptop that can barely handle a 10k poly mesh, or a zBrush subdiv level 5 mesh, or heck... a basic illustration at 600 dpi.

Which brings me to the pre-built versus custom. You're paying for the bloatware. Better to buy a customized system. I know Sony has a "Fresh Start" option in their VAIO series. That way, you at least won't have to uninstall the shitware 30-day trials. Look for coupons. Especially since Black Friday is around the corner. Expect to see pre-built computers take a nose dive in price.

What I'd recommend for you:

- Stick to a desktop!

- But... if you're dead set on buying a laptop, as majithia23 mentioned, ASUS and Sony seem to be the most reliable of the bunch. Just take note of the battery life. If mobility is your prerogative, you better make sure your laptop can withstand a period of time rendering (unplugged) if necessary. Else you may find yourself hooked to an outlet 24/7. Which can mean Bad News Bears (Walter Matthau).

Oh almost forgot, the follow instructions question was to see if you're a Mac or PC user. I find that Mac users are terrible when it comes to following instructions. I don't know, something about written text and having an IQ below 85 it just becomes too overwhelming for them. :lol:

Of the 3 laptops mentioned, which one do you believe would be best? In terms of performance & durability. And thank you for your tips, will take it into consideration :)

If I've got only 3 alternatives - those presented in your first post, I'd opt for the Toshiba Satellite. It's actually got the best processor and graphics, as well (despite the similarities.) I'd insist on buying a sub-model with FreeDOS - hope that option is available in your country (does really save you a chunk of dough.)

BTW, it also crossed my mind that there are plenty of varieties to choose from Core i3 and i5 but not many when it comes to i7 on a laptop.

The problem with the TinkPads is that they don't look as good and are really thick (& heavy?) and I don't like the trackball thing in the middle of the keyboard, so its a no go for me.

Just an heads-up about the Track-ball - IBM / lenovo call them Track-point. I hail from a tropical background where the climate is humid and the fingers start feeling the friction on the Mouse-pad due to perspiration and sometimes because of grit. It's in such inclement backdrops that the Track-point comes into it's own (pretty useful stuff invented by IBM and left unpatented.)

If those three are the only options you have, I'd rather pick Dell - I dislike Toshiba Satellite and HP Pavilion build quality. Dell actually isn't very good too, but I trust their product better than those 2.

About the weight... I think all of your alternative are mostly heavy. ThinkPad aren't so thick and heavy, they just the same as the others, and build with better quality than others. But yeah, if you hate the trackpoints, you can skip them.

I would recommend you to stay out of VAIO series... they are mostly overprice and in my opinion, their build quality are not too solid, even worse than Toshiba. I've ever own VAIO SZ (core 2 duo) and Z (core i first gen) series. Although they're lightweight, but theirs materials - ugh, feels like a cheap laptop (remember it's Z series, Sony VAIO top brand)...

About Sager, as I said before, Sager is one of Clove's OEM. There are a lots of Clevo OEM. They are build for serious gaming and multimedia of course, direct competitor of Dell AlienWare series.

And the last, DKT47 mentioned about ultrabook - yes there are some which offers discreet graphics, but I doubt you'll find them with prices below $1000, except ultrathin laptop from AMD might do. Samsung has ultrathin AMD laptop, something like this http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP535U3C-A01US. Samsung's build quality is good and their price is right.

Archived