Standalone anti-virus needed

gest

If you were to but an anti-virus standalone today, what would you buy? It is easy to throw around opinions when everyone can try/trial :lol: multitudes of a/v solutions. But if you were going to buy one for the next year, which would you choose? Nod32, Kaspersky, Avira, etc...

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not buy stand alone as such there load of freewares- AVG, BitDefender 8, Avira

Personaly I Use Comodo Intenet Suite (CIS) and bit defender to scan ocasionaly (all freeware- no fixes or patches)

ESET, since they always served me well and even now Avira 'beats' ESET ESET still has more options. I guess Avira would be better for the 'average computer user', but I know ESET is better for me :coolwink:

COMODO Internet Security will PWNZ every competition hands down once they release a complete stable build :coolwink:

COMODO Internet Security will PWNZ every competition hands down once they release a complete stable build :coolwink:

agreed :sneaky:

I find CIS to be the perfect choice of protection.

Comodo Firewall Pro + Eset AntiVirus would be my 2nd choice

gest is asking for a standalone AV, so I guess CIS is out. :sneaky:

Just disable all it's services except for the av, and it becomes standalone :coolwink:

It all depends on how you look at the situation.

Now....back to downloading submarine titans :P

If you were to but an anti-virus standalone today, what would you buy? It is easy to throw around opinions when everyone can try/trial :coolwink: multitudes of a/v solutions. But if you were going to buy one for the next year, which would you choose? Nod32, Kaspersky, Avira, etc...

In these days of Freedom, Free-way & Free-Tibet we also need Free-warez,

hence COMODO.

Why pay for it when you can get it FREE.

Besides, next year is 361 days away, things can change.shades.gif

I've been using Avast in the last months and I like it very much. If you are going to buy, then imo you should go for ESET... if not, then Avast Home is just as good as Avast Pro, but without some functions (which don't affect the performance, since the antivirus kernel is the same for both versions). No point buying it (but you can support them of course and go pro).

I've been using Outpost Firewall and Avast and I've had no problems with malware. I sometimes do routine scans with SAS or Malwarebytes' and Avast and rarely get some junk like tracking cookies, nothing more.

Seems Nod32 is the winner.

Anyone no of any Eset issues/conflicts with other standalone firewalls - ZA, etc?

So far not heard of any issue. Had tried it with ZoneAlarm, Comodo and Outpost....no issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I may be late in joining this thread but I just wanted to add my $0.02. If you want to see a decent comparison based on performance benchmarks then please check this link. You can easily compare detection rates on various websites but I think performance benchmarks are just as important because it makes no sense using an AV that crawls your pc.

My choice would be NOD32 though because it can do the following:

* Minimal system performance impact, 33MB of ram is nothing when you have 4GB.

* Fast system boot.

* I can easily un-select all my web browsers from being scanned since I think http scanning is redundant.

* NOD32 works flawlessly with other security programs. (this is most important).

The last point is most important to me because it allows you to add additional security programs like Threatfire, Malwarebytes, a-squared anti malware free edition. etc. So yes if I had to pay for 1 AV it would be NOD32 mainly because it does not crash or conflict with other security programs. I know the benchmark I posted has NAV2009 as the best performing but the 1 and only reason I would never buy NAV is because it has activation process and only allows you to install it 3 times, so if you had to reformat more than 3 times in that year then you are screwed and their tech support is useless and could care less about you even though you are a customer.

Standalone with No real time protection? Kaspersky has a free standalone version,which can be updated thru Nod32view(Otherwise it won't update).AVZ is another freeware(now bought by Kaspersky) which is real good.Just google it.If you still need help,PM me.

[edit]Both these has no processes running automatically,unlike Bitdefender freeware version,which is a plus.Even if you choose something else,trying these won't hurt. :)

Kaspersky has a free standalone version,which can be updated thru Nod32view(Otherwise it won't update).

Something is not right there... :P

---

I think ESET AV should work great. :(

Kaspersky has a free standalone version,which can be updated thru Nod32view(Otherwise it won't update).

Something is not right there... :P

---

I think ESET AV should work great. :wtf:

I know what you mean.The standalone version of Kaspersky does not update signatures,you have to manually download the new version(around 30MB) every time.But,if you use NODVIEW,which is a freeeware,you can actually 'update' it!!! That is all about saving some bandwidth.If you are familiar with the softs i am talking about and don't have a clue what I am talking abt,pl PM me.

screenie

2821id2.png

Honestly, if I was going to get a paid version I'd probably go with Eset Nod32 or Kaspersky. I've heard great things about both!

Freeware is better IMO, so I'm a fan of Avira + Comodo!

Archived