AV-Comparatives/UPDATE- Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software

Mr Orus

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So ESET is the lightest? What about Kaspersky?

How antivirus software and firewall, Kaspersky 2013 is one of the best: it recognizes many viruses especially the last out thanks to the regular updates that are made during the day. In fact it is sufficient to update your antivirus once a day to be safe because of the new malware that appears every now and some particularly aggressive virus that can cause serious damage to files stored in your PC.

This really important aspect that makes Kaspersky one of the best security software also brings a small disadvantage: we say that Kaspersky 2013 is a bit 'heavy for your computer. Compared to other software, you can feel a little 'slow operating system when, especially, opening files. This however is not a serious problem because you can activate the game, which helps to reduce the workload, when playing a video game and you need performance you can reduce the weight of the checks made ​​by Kaspersky 2013.

The least expensive version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, Kaspersky Antivirus 2013 (KAV). For those who have Windows 7 you probably do not will also need Internet Security, as in the Linux operating system firewall is far more advanced than that of Windows XP. For this operating system, I would recommend the version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, which costs a little 'more, but also protects against attempts to exploit wireless networks. On the Internet you can find sites that sell Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 serial or activation codes for Kaspersky Antivirus 2013 also at very low prices starting from 15 euro for a license for KAV 2013 or KIS 2013 for 20 euro.If you want to improve your computer's performance after installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, I recommend that you defragment the disk, delete temporary files and empty the trash regularly.Kaspersky Safe Money.New this year is definitely Safe Money.If you connect to a site online payments such as PayPal will open a new browser window and passes the connection to the server of Kaspersky checking that there are malware that attempt to capture valuable information such as passwords and other credentials. Advanced technologies phishing proactively detect fraudulent URL and use real-time information provided by the cloud so that you have an incentive to reveal valuable information to phishing websites. In addition, our control URL adds color-coded labels for all links Web by guiding the level of danger of the link and the linked pages.

Read more :http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-services/home-computer-security/internet-security

There's an aberration which afflicts most Homo Sapiens - whenever you ask someone for the best antivirus, 99% of the time the answer will be found to be the same one as used by the Respondent. Please try me out on this one. ;)

• Administrator

ESET will always remain the most light and fast normal AV (excluding HIPS).

Are you using ESET?

and one more thing

bw KIS and ESET what do you recommend?

So ESET is the lightest? What about Kaspersky?

No, I'm not using ESET. ESET is better as it's light. Kaspersky is better as a full blown AV as it's powerful. Kaspersky isn't light, I've faced serious memory leak that gradually increased over the days/weeks. When I uninstalled v2012, Kaspersky was using 950MB RAM. This is just a bad example, but just saying. Kaspersky will slow down one's system down, those who say otherwise haven't used ESET sufficiently. Kaspersky UI sucks, it takes 3-4 mins to do simple tasks, and you need to google stuff to do things that should have been done by default (like asking to allow/block a program).

However, as I said, Kaspersky is one of the most powerful and best AV out there. ESET is light, easy and sufficient.

There's an aberration which afflicts most Homo Sapiens - whenever you ask someone for the best antivirus, 99% of the time the answer will be found to be the same one as used by the Respondent. Please try me out on this one. ;)

I'm using Avast from almost two months, was using MSE and Kaspesky (respectively) for six months, your argument is invalid. :P

Or I am the 1% :o

I still think Eset is over rated. I'd choose Avast over it anyday, or Kaspersky. They are all decent and I recommend them all to people that ask me -_- . Eset has been doing worse in many tests than a few years ago, and I see a lot of problems and missed malware on security forums the last year or so.

I suppose it depends on where you download/visit on your pc because I've used lots of products over the years without ever infecting my computer. Some people seem to pick up malware on a weekly basis no matter what they use.

If I did an AV-comparatives type of rating including all aspects of a product it would look very different to what gets published by AV-C :P

Advanced Plus (In no order)

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Kaspersky

Avast

Comodo

Advanced

Eset

Avira

Outpost

AVG

Bullguard

G-Data

Standard

Microsoft

Webroot

F-Secure

Symantec

Viper

McAfee

Trend Micro

The Other Ones that didn't make it

Bitdefender

Panda

PC Tools

Escan

Kingsoft

Just a bit of fun. Me judging products I've tried and how they'd look in Avmad Comparatives :P

• Administrator

@avmad: That is why people should choose what they prefer. After trying all the common AVs, I end up going back to ESET. Because it fits my needs. I need an AV that is as light and good as possible. It's for my gaming and browsing needs. On the other hand, Kaspersky, Avast, MSE, AVG, etc. that I've tried/used, all do not match what I want from my AV, all were system hogs. In addition to ESET, I scan my PC every week with Hitman or MBAM. As for the above tests, ESET missed 3%, which might not be great, but atleast it caught 97%.

So yea, I like ESET for being a addon to my PC and my brain, rest of the AVs like to control and slowdown my PC, which I'm not comfortable.

Well I for one am really annoyed that Emsisoft, which has Bitdefender as the second scanner now isn't getting the testing attention that a major change in a reputable product deserves.

It is a shame. Emsisofts engine is brilliant, and added to Bitdefender well, would probably come out top.

I'm using Emsisoft and I've noticed the scans are way way faster than before. Less FP's of course as well.

• Administrator

Yep same for many others. I'm surprised you found Avast a system hog though. For me it's about the same as Eset.

I didn't specify it correctly. Avast. which I'm using right now, is not necessary a system hog, instead, the live scanning of Avast slows down my games and other softwares drastically. This is something annoying, what seems to be a light AV, always slows down my things. This was the case when I had used it in v4/5 and is same in v7.

Posted Image

Another AV thread , Another same boring AV discussion , And again time for me to post my same rhetoric comment - NO AV ! :P ;)

Another AV thread , Another same boring AV discussion , And again time for me to post my same rhetoric comment - NO AV ! :P ;)

Sure it feels lighter without an AV , but how about "good" links that could be malicious only one day? Or if you plug some USB device in your PC and you don't know where they have been before... :huh:

Sure it feels lighter without an AV , but how about "good" links that could be malicious only one day? Or if you plug some USB device in your PC and you don't know where they have been before... :huh:

Then, in that case - he can borrow the rat in your avatar (if you won't mind.) ;)

Everything has been taken care of my friend . ( well , hopefully .... ) ;)

I know and understand what you mean by that "one" day , but consider this --

No AV is 100% effective . The best detection rates achieved stand around 95% . So even the best will fail in that 5% window . For a AV to succeed , it has to stop the attack

" everytime" from that intrusion and for the intrusion to succeed it needs to pass just " that one " time .

So if a threat or malware is designed to attack a "good" page , it will undoubtedly be a good designed malware , something which is not just an ordinary attack but a more intelligent assault and which will automatically have the design to evade most of the commercial anti malware suites protection mechanisms

AND

then the 95 % might fail

or

it might just be that "one" day for the 5% window !

BOOM !

Picture this . Bad Luck Kaspersky ---

Posted Image

What we need to understand is that AV is just one 'part' of the whole PC security scenario . It involves a whole lot of many other things , A Multi Layer , A Multi Step Approach . When properly implemented the system isn't that easily vulnerable ! ;)

So instead of crying and compromising with system slow downs and hoggness of resources by installing an AV and trying to prevent that "one" attack , which unfortunately can be "any other" day .( The 5% window or 95% failing ). I ll will not give away the charm of the performance of a system with no AV .

( coz , believe it or not ... i tried most and 95% are complete system leechers ....! )

Think different . Evolve .

For an ordinary Joe , of course AV makes a lot of sense .

But , unfortunately not for me

or

Until there comes a product which truly does what it is meant to and is not something just eye candy and grease ....

I m too amateur to talk about something so complex as computer security and i might be wrong , but i learn from my experience and mistakes and this is what i hv learned and has been successfully working for me .....

Then, in that case - he can borrow the rat in your avatar (if you won't mind.) ;)

dint get that mate .... :think:

Archived