Home Media Network

irefay

So I just bought two new laptops (Laptops #1&2). My old ones(Laptops #3&4) were 3.5 years old so it was time for an upgrade.

What I would like to do is put L#3 in my office and when I need to print, have it print over the network. Same thing with L#4 except I want it in the bed room hooked up to the tv. That way I can download movies on L#1 and access them over the network and play them on L#4.

So I though I would start with gathering information from the smartest people I know. :lol:

What software would make this easier. Network configerations? (I am using wireless-G). And anything else you can think of.

Thanks,

• Replies 7
  • Views 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd just use the Windows built-in networking system... It has always served me well, well, not always, but most of the time lol.

Information we will need:

- A scheme of your connection setup(Modem, Router/Network hub and you already provided the systems)

- What OS are they running? Please don't say Vista :lol: :win: :win: That would make it like, harder for me :whistle:

bearoninternet
So I just bought two new laptops (Laptops #1&2). My old ones(Laptops #3&4) were 3.5 years old so it was time for an upgrade.

What I would like to do is put L#3 in my office and when I need to print, have it print over the network. Same thing with L#4 except I want it in the bed room hooked up to the tv. That way I can download movies on L#1 and access them over the network and play them on L#4.

So I though I would start with gathering information from the smartest people I know. :lol:

What software would make this easier. Network configerations? (I am using wireless-G). And anything else you can think of.

Thanks,

You could use a #5; server. :win:

bearoninternet
post-1185-1229119817_thumb.jpg

Looks like I can use apple bonjour for the mac

Why not smb? Its the easiest way imo.

Just use applecommand K and connect to server via smb://ServerName/ShareName/ or via ip.

easy as that! :lol:

For printing i use fineprint at work, works like a charm.

You could also just share the printer and print directly.

You can just use the windows network utility, just be sure to check out the picks and the 'Other' options to be sure you select the right network type, and enable file/printer sharing on every PC.

Ok so the printer thing should be good to go. But what about playing video over the network?

That would fall under file sharing :P Just enable File/Printer sharing and then you'll just have to make the folder in which you store your movies a shared folder(right click, Share, Make this folder a shared network folder, pick a share name and enable 'Network users may edit my files'(this in case your media players tries to write data to the file(not common, but it could occur).

Archived