Well everyone who's missed me lately, here's where I was. I got one of those really bad viruses and my laptop HDD failed. I was running on 2GB of RAM for the longest while... then i cleared out my heat sinc compound by accident... and I guess lappy gave up the ghost. I have now repaired this laptop and I'm proud to announce that i'm back :)

The following are my new specs:

Gateway NV59C 66u

8GB DDR3 1066Mhz RAM

Intel i3 Quad Core 2.4 - 2.9 Ghz

2GB Intel M370 Integrated graphics

1TB HItachi SATA 3.0 3Gbs HDD

Intel Centrino Dual Core WiFi+WIMAX 6250 a/b/g/n

15.6 HD LED LCD 1366x768 60hz

1.3 MP Webcam

Realtek HD Audio Speakers

Blu-Ray 1.5Gbs R Drive.

WIN 7 ULT SP1 x64

Unfortunately, my neighbour took down her WiFi, since I didn't have a laptop to video chat with her... Will update the community when I have restored my Internet Access.

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

:welcome: back.

Well, the new specs are really nice. I'm seeing some kick-ass laptops these days, the ones I never imagine could exist. :D

How good is intel M370? any comparison with nvidia and AMD?

Welcome back - always nice to have good members back (hope to see a similar post by madeinheaven, one day.) ;)

:welcome: back :D

BTW, i3 Quad??? :o

May be talking about HyperThreading (HT), 2 physical and 2 virtual cores.

Welcome back bro!

:cheers:

Thanks bro. Will have to download all apps from scratch again.

:welcome: back.

Well, the new specs are really nice. I'm seeing some kick-ass laptops these days, the ones I never imagine could exist. :D

Thanks man. I like the new specs too. Runs COD Black Ops on maximum graphics without a glitch :)

How good is intel M370? any comparison with nvidia and AMD?

If you can set up an Intel system properly with the right drivers and all, it's better than AMD. Think of it like this: The Entire DIMM2 4GB DDR3 Ram stick is reserved for graphics only by the system. DDR3 is just as fast as a dedicated graphics card. DDR2 was slower so i couldn't be done before. 4GB Integrated graphics card anyone? ;)

Welcome Back 8)

Thanks.

:welcome:

thnks :)

Welcome back - always nice to have good members back (hope to see a similar post by madeinheaven, one day.) ;)

Thank you RocketMan. Indeed I hope madeinheaven will consider gracing us with his return also.

Thanks.

Posted ImageBack !

Thanks speedy. Love the smiley.

:welcome:

thanks.

May be talking about HyperThreading (HT), 2 physical and 2 virtual cores.
That's absolutely correct rudrax. When I open task manager I see 4 cores being monitored.

• Administrator

So many years have passed and I'm still wondering if HT is as good and effective as actual cores. :P

Having a i5 without HT doesn't help to know the above. :(

If you can set up an Intel system properly with the right drivers and all, it's better than AMD. Think of it like this: The Entire DIMM2 4GB DDR3 Ram stick is reserved for graphics only by the system. DDR3 is just as fast as a dedicated graphics card. DDR2 was slower so i couldn't be done before. 4GB Integrated graphics card anyone? ;)

The amount of reserved graphics memory isn't really the core thing to consider. A dedicated graphics card performs way better than an integrated one, besides, the fact that a dedicated one requires slightly more power which is obvious w.r.t. performance. In the matter of CPU intel can beat up AMD but not in graphics.

So many years have passed and I'm still wondering if HT is as good and effective as actual cores. :P

Whatever, you get to see double number of the physical cores in the device manager, that's enough :P

Having a i5 without HT doesn't help to know the above. :(

Whatever, you get to see double number of the physical cores in the device manager, that's enough :P

On heavily threaded apps, HT does speed up things by as much as 15-30%, but everything else remaining constant, identically clocked processors (from the same family - with the same underlying core architecture) with extra REAL cores will always be significantly faster than ones without them. :)

For example, a REAL quad core i5 will be much faster (certainly in multi-threaded apps) than an identically clocked i3, which is a dual core with HT. And a Hyperthreaded i7 quad will be faster than an i5 in multi-threaded apps when compared to identically clocked i5's. ;)

Virtual cores do fasten things up, but do not actually perform as well as real cores :yes:

EDIT: And btw, Duals with HT are not referred to as Quads either. They continue to remain just that - Duals with HT. Just like Quad-cores with HT are not Octa-cores either :P

Archived