Im about to jump the fence... [Fenced jumped...]

3NIGM4

Yeah im getting tired of tweaking my comp, have less time, my desktop died and im getting old. Of course ill keep my XPS 1710 handy around but im about to buy a new Macbook pro 15 inches. Heres the spec :

Size and Weight

Height:

0.95 inch (2.41 cm)

Width:

14.35 inches (36.4 cm)

Depth:

9.82 inches (24.9 cm)

Weight:

5.5 pounds (2.49 kg)2

CPU

* 2.53GHz Intel Core Duo

Ram

* 4gig

Display

* 15.4-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy widescreen, 1440 by 900 pixels

* 2 Graphic cards : The integrated Geforce 9400M and the Geforce 9600m GT

Battery3

* Up to 5 hours of wireless productivity

Connectivity

* Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n)4

* Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

* Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

* Two USB 2.0 ports

* One FireWire 800 port

* One ExpressCard/34 slot

Audio/Video

* Built-in iSight camera

* Mini-DisplayPort video out-put with support for DVI, dual-Link DVI, and VGA video output via adapters

* Combined optical digital/headphone out, combined optical digital/audio line in, microphone, speakers with subwoofers (hahaha subwoofers my ass)

* I use Sennheiser PC 350 for voice chat, skyping and teamspeaking

* I use an external audio card/ headphone amp IBasso to get the sound isolated from the other computer parts

Link to website

My only concern is the glossy screen, Apples doesnt offer the option anymore on the 13 and 15 inches notebook. Im mostly working on dark environnement so it shouldnet be too bad. And 3M makes some matte privacy filter anyway so i might get on of those. I needed lighter, more stable, quieter, keyboard light to work in dark, more battery life etc. I was looking much into Sager's computer too, if you guys plan to buy a high end/ gaming pc thats the brand to go seriously. Ive been browsing the web for months before choosing this laptop. My sis is at college so i bought with here rebate that save me about 350$ CAN, so thats pretty cool.

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought it the day it came out. Its so-so.

Glossy screen has nasty glare at times... but 80% of the time its fine.

Typing while trying not to touch the touch pad is super annoing. I dont even want to think about trying to type a paper on here.

I was severly disappointed with the speed. I upgraded from a 2ghz (single core) with 2gb ram to 2.53ghz (dual core) with 4gb of ram... I notice almost NO diffrence.

Battery life is no where near expected (on xp or osx)

For some reason I have no audio about a third of the time I start up.

Hard Drive may be defective.

2!!! USB ports???

Special video port with no standard ports availible SUCKS.

Have to press FN key to delete stuff

Keyboard is not curved.

All kinds of wierd little things you have to put up with if you run windows (limited to ONE win partition)

The construction is awsome though. VERY light

Audio is good volume and quality.

It'd be great if you posted some great Mac programs here, or just give us a list of names and we could try...

• 2 weeks later...
PsychoticxBloodxLust

3NIGM4 has gone to the darker darkside :dance2: I hope you get waht you want and expect out of t my friend sounds to me like Irefay got a (HSB) Horror Story macBook

• 3 weeks later...

Its done, im typing on it right now! I had to wait the whole holiday for it since i ordered it dec 9... Hey it may be a good thing, i meet with my family instead of learning how to crack on mac lol. Pictz to come.

Grants on you're buy , waiting for those pics ;)

I'm also waiting for the ones referring to "jumping the fence..." :yes:

Jumping Fence

Side Ports

macbookproportsps6.jpg

Side View

macbookprosiderq3.jpg

Top View, the glass reflect alot as you can tell but im mostly working in dark environment so it wont be an issue. + backlight keyboard FTW (not shown in the pic)

macbookprotopjc8.jpg

Front Comparison with my XPS 1710 both at full brightness

macbookprovsxps1710fronra4.jpg

Difference of tickness? imagine the weight...

macbookprovsxps1710tickqs4.jpg

15 vs 17 inches

macbookprovsxps1710topsb9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So i brought my brand new lappy to work last week. Left it in the hotel room downloading the whole internet (so i can browse offline) So torrenting like mad. Then one night i decide to bring the lappy to the bed so i pulled out my long RJ45 cable out of my bag, plug the thing and hook up to my Mac. Cable unplugged it was saying... i go wtf so i tried the short cable that was working before... cable unplugged again WTF!!! so i checked if i didnt rip off the small white box on the wall changing cable... Nope. Tried another of my cable, nope. So i called front desk and told them to send me a tech with a comp to check ther stuff but it turn out to be my lappy that doesnt work anymore. Went down to the store room, took a job compy and confirmed that my ethernet card was blown off. God damn... At least my wireless still work but still a real pain in the ass especially when it f*ck only 10 days after purchase. Anyway did my search on the web and looks like there's a couple issues on the late 08 models of macbook pro with easily short-circuited logic ethernet board. Ill get it repair at the beginning of Feb and let you guys know of the outcome.

Archived