GeForce GTX 680 or Radeon HD 7970 - Best Buy?

Tweety.Abd

Hello,

I'm thinking on replacing my old Radeon HD 4k series with either of the two cards. My main concern is gaming at 1920x1080 resolution with all settings maxed out (Including AA) with an average of 40+ FPS. I have, after long consideration narrowed my options to these two cards, I'd like you guys opinion as what would be the best buy.

Thanks! (:

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theoretical comparison.

Practical comparison.

Review for 7970 GHz edition.

I'm a AMD fan. But, 680 seems to be winning and 7970 Ghz edition is worth buying if you want AMD.

Its a hard choice, games act differently on the same sort of spec cards, is the cards you buy gonna be the best for the next

batch of games comming out! I am more concerned with quality of gameplay more than graphics, even though graphics can take

youre breath away, Especially the blond and brunette type graphics!...................... :P

Theoretical comparison.

Practical comparison.

Review for 7970 GHz edition.

I'm a AMD fan. But, 680 seems to be winning and 7970 Ghz edition is worth buying if you want AMD.

Thanks for the links (: I'm more likely to buy Nvidia this time, however the GHz edition seems pretty attractive. In the end I believe it'll be up to my budget which is somewhere above the price tag of 7970 and below that of 680.

Sadly, I don't know which one is better but I would suggest you consider the cost in the equation.

In other words, which one will deliver the biggest bang for your buck. Good luck.

Sadly, I don't know which one is better but I would suggest you consider the cost in the equation.

In other words, which one will deliver the biggest bang for your buck. Good luck.

Yeah, i play sniper elite online and i have found Nvidea was better suited to this game.

My son had Nvidea i had Ati, and even though my card was better, hes ran the game more smoothly!

Sadly we dont speak anymore, curtisy of hes mother, i cant compare test.

My gfx card is an ATI Radeon HD 6790 (saphire), I hope to palm it off to get a better card soon!

Rezurrection

ATM 680 all the way, if little more cash isnt option, ghz edition of ati is big joke.......not big fan of nvidia, at this time thats the way it is......680 will last good time in game industry......if there is some new architecture from ati soon, my choice would be waiting....but thats not going to happen......no real points on ati vs 6xx series

Any benchmark over 60 fps is useless. Looks like both cards could max anything at 1080p. I would tell you choose the cheaper one but bear in mind that AMD cannot make good gpu drivers to save their lives, they even have botched drivers that cause high GPU usage on webpages with hardware accelerated videos. :o

I completely agree with Leet. AMD has a cr@appy driver issues. GTX 680 will be a smart choice. Go for it.

Any benchmark over 60 fps is useless. Looks like both cards could max anything at 1080p. I would tell you choose the cheaper one but bear in mind that AMD cannot make good gpu drivers to save their lives, they even have botched drivers that cause high GPU usage on webpages with hardware accelerated videos. :o

What cheaper cards can do you recommend? Also note that I will invest in the card for at least 3 or 4 years. Thanks (:

Archived