What codec do you use to decode H.264 HD videos?

rudrax

25 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the codec that you use

• MadVR
    • CoreAVC
    • DivX (codec only, not the full software bundle which is a cr@p)

Hey guys, sometimes the high quality H.264/AVC videos ripped from BluRay discs causes problems in playback like crashing between playback, freezes for long while you seek, Not gets played back smoothly etc. All this due to improper codec that you use to decode the videos or you are using an out-of-date video player or may be updated video player with outdated codecs.

The K-Lite Codec pack is a pretty good bundle for this purpose. Still among us there are some who need more.

So below are 3 on demand codecs that and enthusiast may opt for. Vote for yours. :)

• Replies 27
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i prefer to use:

1. cyberlink powerdvd 12 (best)

2. arcsoft total media theatre 5 (good but medicine not available for version above 5.1.0.114)

3. splash player

I use Real Alternative with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and still some movies with H264 can not be played. Please advise what other codec or software to be accompanied to have it worked and thanks for the help!

Just Daum Pot Player here !

from all i have tried , its the king ! ;)

Not a single hitch for any codec . 3gp to h.264 to m2ts to mkv , 240 p to 1080 p .

Daum Pot was even able to play 1080p video on a Single core small netbook ,

where every other player i tried was finding it hard to play simple flv youtube rips .

other players i recommend are --

Splash PRO .

Arcsoft .

if stand alone codec packs , i used to use Shark's 007 codec pack .

Splash Player (I doubt any jitter with this one. :)) If not, LAV Filters with MPC-HC. You should include them in the poll (most codec packs have them). After LAV, the next best thing is CoreAVC.

Just chipping in my two cents here. I tried many players/codecs to be honest, but the best that works on my computer is Media Player Classic Home Cinema (K-Lite Codec), and the best decoder with lowest CPU & RAM usage is LAV.

I use MPC-HC (Media player classic Home Cinema) with LAV Filters. madVR, Haali's Media Splitter and ffdshow. I persoanlly love this setup and have never had a problem. I watch 1080p, 10-bit and anything you can think of perfectly. I also use this setup from Coalgirls for some of the setting. Coalgirls MPC Setup.

My personal favorite is Haali Media Splitter with DivX codec on windows media player.

If you use DivX only, and seek a video fast then video frame will freeze a bit and player crashes. But if you introduce Haali Media Splitter in this situation, the video doesn't freeze at the time of seek, even for a second and no more crashes.

I tried all other codecs and renderer. MadVR impressed me. It can extract the best detail out of a video but very high on resources. CoreAVC, LAV are good too but not the best in my opinion.

And about some all in one media player like Daum Pot, KMPlayer, Splash pro etc are not enough for enthusiasts.

Now DivX, it works impressively with Haali Media Splitter. Interested one should give it a try. :)

• Administrator

CoreAVC. :) Fastest software decoder.

Why isn't libavcodec in the poll? FFDShow, Lav (guessing), Media Player Classic, VLC and probably KMPlayer and PotPlayer too, use libavcodec for decoding most of the audio/video formats. Of course, it's not directly a codec but codec pack, but still.

CoreAVC. :) Fastest software decoder.

Why isn't libavcodec in the poll? FFDShow, Lav (guessing), Media Player Classic, VLC and probably KMPlayer and PotPlayer too, use libavcodec for decoding most of the audio/video formats. Of cource, it's not directly a codec but codec pack, but still.

The K-Lite Codec pack is a pretty good bundle for this purpose. Still among us there are some who need more.

Talking about enthusiasts here :P

I second the Halli option, but with a small difference. For those who can't cope with MadVR's cpu trampling - Haali's Renderer is the absolute second best. It has a similar picture quality, but for the fraction of the cpu's time. And I think that's the reason it's also included in the CoreAVC installation. :)

I use MPC-HC (Media player classic Home Cinema) with LAV Filters. madVR, Haali's Media Splitter and ffdshow. I persoanlly love this setup and have never had a problem. I watch 1080p, 10-bit and anything you can think of perfectly. I also use this setup from Coalgirls for some of the setting. Coalgirls MPC Setup.

Me too. The only difference is that i use Lav Splitter and not Haali's.

And i sue this guide: http://imouto.my/configuring-potplayer-for-gpu-accelerated-video-playback-with-dxva-or-cuda-and-also-high-performance-software-decoding/#changelog

damn.. madVR :D here! :hi:

Yeah, desktop user must go for madVR..It,a bit high on resources for which system heats up soon so a notebook user can't use it without a good cooling pad.

Anybody remember Apples's Quick Time Player (windows version)? It was the player which had managed to play pure 1080p .mov video flawlessly on my old PC which was surviving on a 1.6 Ghz Celeron D CPU and 256 MB of RAM.

• Administrator

Anybody remember Apples's Quick Time Player (windows version)? It was the player which had managed to play pure 1080p .mov video flawlessly on my old PC which was surviving on a 1.6 Ghz Celeron D CPU and 256 MB of RAM.

I only remember it as a software that was forced down my throat as it was bundled with many softwares. iTunes didn't work without it. The video quality was poor too. As worse as RealPlayer.

I only remember it as a software that was forced down my throat as it was bundled with many softwares. iTunes didn't work without it. The video quality was poor too. As worse as RealPlayer.

:rofl:

the feeling is mutual :lmao:

May be it is built for lower config systems. But In my laptop now, it's just a Cr@p :lol:

• Administrator

May be it is built for lower config systems. But In my laptop now, it's just a Cr@p :lol:

Mac. It was build for mac (OS and hardware). All Apple products work like shit on Windows, even now that's the case with some.

Archived