Is your Context Menu getting overcrowded?

KotaXor

It seem nowadays every program want a bit of your context menu. After installing programs, you find your context menu getting out of hand.

Don't you find it irritating when you right-click an icon, a long list of items appear in the context menu?

Some programs enable you to remove its content from the programs itself, most do not!

So....how to remove unwanted items in Context Menu:

Open 'regedit', go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Right-click on the relevant program key and Delete!

The next time you open your Context Menu, irrelevant programs will not be there!

Enjoy!

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I do reccomend making a backup of this part of your registry incase you mess something up.

You can export any key in regedit by right clicking > export :lol:

ShellExView v1.35

shexview.gif

Shell Extensions are in-process COM objects which extends the abilities of Windows operating system. Most shell extensions are automatically installed by the operating system, but there are also many other applications that install additional shell extension components. For example: If you install WinZip on your computer, you'll see a special WinZip menu when you right-click on a Zip file. This menu is created by adding a shell extension to the system.

The ShellExView utility displays the details of shell extensions installed on your computer, and allows you to easily disable and enable each shell extension.

Download:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Guest daniel5000ce

or just USE jv16powertools from this site and astalavista BABY!

haha im new and your not but dont cry for me argentina!!

Hi Bizarre™,

Yeah, there are many programs which can be use for editing the Context Menu, such as CMenu and ContextMenuEditor. But something it is better to get down dirty and learn how to 'play' around your registry (after making backup, of course :D if you do not know what you are doing).

For those who does not like to get dirty, google for CMenu or ContextMenuEditor (all freeware).

ShellExView v1.35

is Freeware df3e29231665c7e4ce09e9652ee8f621.gif

Yeah, there are many programs which can be use for editing the Context Menu, such as CMenu and ContextMenuEditor. But something it is better to get down dirty and learn how to 'play' around your registry (after making backup, of course :D if you do not know what you are doing).

Been there, done that. 98432141c1f9131af947fb84d5d3407f.gif

ShellExView is perfect for beginners, since they can instantly go to regedit or simply choose disable.

Some of the context menu resides in CLSID... we don't want beginners fiddling with that or they may end up with non-bootable OS.

Been there, done that. 98432141c1f9131af947fb84d5d3407f.gif

ShellExView is perfect for beginners, since they can instantly go to regedit or simply choose disable.

Some of the context menu resides in CLSID... we don't want beginners fiddling with that or they may end up with non-bootable OS.

Good for you. I remember a long time ago I use to crash my computer because of 'playing' around with the registry :D

Not anymore (touch wood!)

Good for you. I remember a long time ago I use to crash my computer because of 'playing' around with the registry :D

Not anymore (touch wood!)

Ah, those were the days. ed5e6a42721c7c8dd5ca4b35d5da70cd.gif

I remember the time when I used to format my box daily, just because of fiddling with the registry. baca7a18d24d7b189f17e526cd526faf.gif

ShellExView v1.35

shexview.gif

Shell Extensions are in-process COM objects which extends the abilities of Windows operating system. Most shell extensions are automatically installed by the operating system, but there are also many other applications that install additional shell extension components. For example: If you install WinZip on your computer, you'll see a special WinZip menu when you right-click on a Zip file. This menu is created by adding a shell extension to the system.

The ShellExView utility displays the details of shell extensions installed on your computer, and allows you to easily disable and enable each shell extension.

Download:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Hi Bizarre,

ShellExView is great, tried it. Found it pretty useful. Will keep it in my collection.

Thanks!

Archived