Configure MSN Live Messenger to use NOD32

LeetPirate

Configure MSN Live Messenger to use NOD32. This information was sourced from here and adapted to NOD32 version 4 Beta since the information on that website is outdated.

On MSN Live Messenger's main window click "Tools" then "Options" then when the Options window comes up click "File Transfer" on the left pane.

Enable the check box that says "Scan files for viruses using:".

In the text box you can copy and paste the following:

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /log-file=msn_scan_log.txt /log-all /log-rewrite /clean-mode=standard /quarantine

The above should satisfy the majority of users, however I have made it into a simple batch file so that I can easily transport it to any pc with NOD32.

You can paste the following code into a text file and rename it to .bat then call it from any location. Example if you stored the file as "c:\msn_scan.bat" then you would just have to put "c:\msn_scan.bat" into the MSN virus scanner text box.

REM Settings for Windows Live Messenger to use NOD32 v4 Command Line Scanner:
REM
"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /log-file=msn_scan_log.txt /log-all /log-rewrite /clean-mode=standard /quarantine %1
REM
EXIT

Finally I want to add a note about the log file. As posted above, the log file will be stored in the current active directory which will not be the default NOD32 install location but instead will be the folder you choose to save your file that you received through a MSN chat window. So for example if someone sends you a file over MSN chat, and you save to desktop then the log file will also be placed on the desktop. I find this way to be more convenient because the first place you would look is the place you stored the new file. If you wish to store the log file elsewhere then change the path to wherever you want, also the default log action is to append to the file hence I used the log-rewrite option to overwrite the log file each time, I suggest you be careful with disabling that because it could allow your log file to append till the file size gets very large.

I will paste an example below of how to use the batch file to store logs to a chosen location.

REM Settings for Windows Live Messenger to use NOD32 v4 Command Line Scanner:
REM
"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /log-file="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\msn_scan_log.txt" /log-all /log-rewrite /clean-mode=standard /quarantine %1
REM
EXIT

I hope you find this useful. ;)

• Replies 12
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Is it really necessary? I mean NOD automatically scans every downloaded file, why do you have to tell it to do it separately?

Is it really necessary? I mean NOD automatically scans every downloaded file, why do you have to tell it to do it separately?
Yes it is necessary. I agree with you that NOD32 and all other AV scans every downloaded file but Microsoft is so stupid that Windows Live Messenger refuses to allow you to send or receive files unless you set it to use an AV. This is more like a workaround for an annoying "feature" in WLM.

I just put a tick in that "Scan file for viruses using:" box, but didn't choose anything - then it allowed... I'm fairly sure that NOD still scans those files, even if I don't tell WLM to use NOD for that. Seems to me like a waste of time and resources to do that. I find it useful only when you have an antivirus that hasn't got real-time protection.

Or can anybody reject my opinion? If so, then I will be more than glad to follow the guide :)

I just put a tick in that "Scan file for viruses using:" box, but didn't choose anything - then it allowed... I'm fairly sure that NOD still scans those files, even if I don't tell WLM to use NOD for that. Seems to me like a waste of time and resources to do that. I find it useful only when you have an antivirus that hasn't got real-time protection.

Or can anybody reject my opinion? If so, then I will be more than glad to follow the guide ;)

No there is no need to reject your opinion, I agree with you. Quite similar is my reason for disabling the pop3 and http web scanner in nod32, those things are redundant. However the guide is just here for the benefit of people who want to use it. Also the new WLM 2009 edition is smarter and does not allow you to save settings with a ticked option and empty line. Plus it will use every instant to try to sell you Windows Live OneCare.

When I was beta testing NOD32 v4, I emailed eset about implementing a more elegant way to enable WLM scanning similar to what Norton 2009 uses. Hopefully many more people would also make this request to convince eset of its importance. Of course I also asked them to implement whitelisting and to provide a way to disable the web filtering module without making the eyecon turn orange and harass you that protection is not enabled, but sadly they didn't agree with that one :).

• 4 weeks later...

Ive always used

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" --log-file=log.txt --action=clean

Should i be using?

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /log-file="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\msn_scan_log.txt" /log-all /log-rewrite /clean-mode=standard /quarantine %1

???

Ive always used

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" --log-file=log.txt --action=clean

Should i be using?

???

The code boxes with the %1 at the end of the command are for batch files only. This is only for NOD32 v4 not any previous versions of NOD32. I don't think nod32 v4 supports the --action parameter anymore but I could be wrong. If you want to paste the commands directly into Windows Live Messenger then only use the first code box. It does the same thing as what you have except it is for v4 and I added some extra parameters which you could customise however you like.

"/log-file=msn_scan_log.txt" is the name of the log file but you could rename it to log.txt as you currently use. since no path is specified in the filename then the log file is automatically placed at the same location as the files being scanned.

"/log-all" is used to log all files that are scanned. If you remove this parameter then it will only log infected files.

"/log-rewrite" is used to overwrite the log file each time, by default ecls appends data to the same log file. If you remove this parameter then the log file will keep increasing in size.

"/clean-mode=standard" is the same as --action=clean in previous versions of ecls.

"/quarantine" is used to ensure it quarantines the file incase it was a false positive and you need to get it back.

Ive always used

Should i be using?

???

The code boxes with the %1 at the end of the command are for batch files only. This is only for NOD32 v4 not any previous versions of NOD32. I don't think nod32 v4 supports the --action parameter anymore but I could be wrong. If you want to paste the commands directly into Windows Live Messenger then only use the first code box. It does the same thing as what you have except it is for v4 and I added some extra parameters which you could customise however you like.

"/log-file=msn_scan_log.txt" is the name of the log file but you could rename it to log.txt as you currently use. since no path is specified in the filename then the log file is automatically placed at the same location as the files being scanned.

"/log-all" is used to log all files that are scanned. If you remove this parameter then it will only log infected files.

"/log-rewrite" is used to overwrite the log file each time, by default ecls appends data to the same log file. If you remove this parameter then the log file will keep increasing in size.

"/clean-mode=standard" is the same as --action=clean in previous versions of ecls.

"/quarantine" is used to ensure it quarantines the file incase it was a false positive and you need to get it back.

ok thanks for the reply, using the first box for v4 :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Would some one be willing to tell me if this is right for V3

File Transfer Box

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ecls.exe" --log-file="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\msn_scan_log.txt" --log-all --log-rewrite --action=clean

Archived