Start-up problems on XP and Windows 7 laptop

boblalux

I run 2 computers side by side - my new laptop (Windows 7) and my old and more trustworthy PC (XP), and both are connected to my Livebox. Both are protected with Avast!, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware . All was well until 2 weeks ago, I stupidly tried to install a Firewall on each (in the mean time I have been told that this is not necessary, a Firewall is included with the Livebox!)

Everything slowed down immediately. In fact, upon starting either of the computers, nothing happened, although the pc’s are doing something. The task managers told me nothing. De-installing the Firewall changed nothing. To get either of the pc’s to work, I have to crash them, and re-start. Even then they are sometimes both slow. Upon explaining this to someone who knows about these things, he said that the Firewall had probably damaged some of the start-up rootkits, whatever that means. Uninstalling the Firewall won’t change this.

Please help, what can I do? Simple language please.

• Replies 3
  • Views 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you tried a System Restore ?

As-tu essayé une restauration du système ?

:think:

P.S. There's no firewall in the Livebox it's just a router.

Are you using Avast AV or Internet security? Either way it looks like you have too much security software running at once.

I would definitly uninstall Spybot and Ad-Aware and see if that helps first.

• Run a boot time scan with avast.
  • My friend, you have aLOLtz of security software, I don't think that they are all necessary. Windows has its default firewall and avast too have one, so trying to install one more is just a waste. I run my win7 laptop with Avast Internet Security only.
  • If boot time scan doesn't change anything, uninstall all security products that are installed in your system.
  • Run Ccleaner to clean junk and the registry leftover
  • Restart PC
  • Now install the security products.
Good luck :)

Archived