Need new Modem/Router

sscsr1

I am using isp modem and linksys wrt160n router which has been dropping connection more and more often of late. I have decided to purchase a new router for sure but am also curious about getting the router/modem combo. I am not sure which ones to seriously look at and which ones to stay away from so I am asking for help and opinions from the guru's here to help me better prepare before I proceed.

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Everything aside, did you check why the connections are dropping? Channels, placement, antenna, lots of things contribute to it. Then you can move forward to getting a new one. :)

All I can say about Modem or router is, stay away from D-Link.

...so I am asking for help and opinions from the guru's here...

For Guru help just type here on your keyboard:

Posted Image

:P

Everything aside, did you check why the connections are dropping? Channels, placement, antenna, lots of things contribute to it. Then you can move forward to getting a new one. :)

All I can say about Modem or router is, stay away from D-Link.

Yes I have tried different things but I think it's just the router. I got it as a gift a couple of yrs ago and it was refirbished even then. Thanks for the D-Link warning. Thats the kind of stuff I need to know.

...so I am asking for help and opinions from the guru's here...

For Guru help just type here on your keyboard:

Posted Image

:P

Thats a good one. I havn't seen that one before. :lol:

coldlaser77

There's nothing wrong with d-link model. If your router firmware is stock, try flashing it with another one. Google"tomato wrt160n" for instructions. Tomato firmware have been known to give bad router second life.

Before flashing your router with third party firmware, try to check first if there's an updated firmware for your router's model. See if that improves your connection. If that didn't help you can try to install DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

I find Buffalo and Asus routers good. Buffalo comes with DD-WRT firmware. Asus routers like the RT-N16 and RT-N66U have large RAM (128MB and 256MB) and DD-WRT supported too.

Thanks for the replies and advise. I have the latest firmware and all that good stuff. I am mostly just going to get a new one out of wanting to combine modem and router and knowing I have a new ( not refirbished ) router. However you guys have peaked my couriousity about the DD-WRT and Tomato firmware so I may hold off a little longer and play with that for a bit to see how things go for a while. Also I have been seeing Buffalo brand hardware popping up everywhere the past year or so. I don't know anything about their routers and hard drives and such. This is the first time anyone has recommended them to me as well. Maybe I should do a little reading on them as well.

Before flashing your router with third party firmware, try to check first if there's an updated firmware for your router's model. See if that improves your connection. If that didn't help you can try to install DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.

I find Buffalo and Asus routers good. Buffalo comes with DD-WRT firmware. Asus routers like the RT-N16 and RT-N66U have large RAM (128MB and 256MB) and DD-WRT supported too.

linksys, like most harddrive makers, actually keeping their products updated with new firmwares lol yeah sure :P

Archived