ASUS P5Q MoBo

RadioActive

I'm considering getting the ASUS P5Q mother board, any opinions regarding this particular board?

Notes:

• I'm looking for a decent mainstream board.
  • I might need/use minimal overclocking, definitly nothing hardcore.
  • My main use(s) will be gaming and video encoding.

• Replies 26
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a great board, it's more than sufficient for the things you want to do :)

Definitely a great board, it's more than sufficient for the things you want to do :D

Thanks

But tell us some more, like what's your budget and accompanied with what hardware do you want to use it?

But tell us some more, like what's your budget and accompanied with what hardware do you want to use it?

I'm only upgrading, so I'll be getting a CPU, mother board, and RAM.

My current choices are:

Intel Q6600 G0

ASUS P5Q

Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066, 2GB

I chose the Q6600 because I tend to do a lot of video encoding, and I know that C2Q have great advantage in that area compared to C2D.

Regarding the budget, well, as I said, I'm building a mainstream rig, so I can't afford anything hi-end.

My current choices are:

Intel Q6600 G0

ASUS P5Q

I chose the Q6600 because I tend to do a lot of video encoding, and I know that C2Q have great advantage in that area compared to C2D.

Regarding the budget, well, as I said, I'm building a mainstream rig, so I can't afford anything hi-end.

Lol, your setup is pretty high-end to me, I use my system for the same purpose as yours and I have AMD X2 4800+, OCZ 2GB DDR2 800MHz and the MSI K9N Neo-F V3 with a 8600 GT(slight overclock on processor, RAM and graphics card).

My current choices are:

Intel Q6600 G0

ASUS P5Q

I am currently using Q6600 with DDR2 1066 on DFI LP LT X48TR2. The Q6600 is a 2.4 GHz but overclocked to 3.2 GHz. I tried overclocking above 3.2 but got the BSOD.

I'm considering getting the ASUS P5Q mother board, any opinions regarding this particular board?

Notes:

I see only one (1) x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. I have seen a graphic card by AMD/ATI that has two processors on one card. I don't know if NVIDA makes something similar. This will solve the problem with SLI/Crossfire limitation. I like this mother board. I would buy it for myself.

I see only one (1) x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. I have seen a graphic card by AMD/ATI that has two processors on one card. I don't know if NVIDA makes something similar. This will solve the problem with SLI/Crossfire limitation. I like this mother board. I would buy it for myself.

You're talking about the X2 cards, and yes both AMD (ATi) and nVIDIA produce them. But, ALL good X2 cards are expensive, they cost almost double the single cored ones, so they suite people who can afford hi-end rigs, definitly not for me, not to mention I already have a decent card so I don't a new one.

I am currently using Q6600 with DDR2 1066 on DFI LP LT X48TR2. The Q6600 is a 2.4 GHz but overclocked to 3.2 GHz. I tried overclocking above 3.2 but got the BSOD.

What's the stepping on your Q6600? B3 or G0? and what kind of cooling do you use, stock or custom air?

Notes:

It's got a intel chipset p45 but now AMD chipset rockss look for a board with 780g chipset.

It's got a intel chipset p45 but now AMD chipset rockss look for a board with 780g chipset.

huh? in case you didn't notice, I intend to get the Intel Q6600, so why would I get an AMD board?! And I definitly don't intend to get Phenom.

Your choice is good. The P45 chipset is a good chipset to overclock, not for marvelous things, but you should get a G0 Q6600 to 3.2 with ease, 3.6 with luck - that is with a good air cooler. I'm running my E8400 at 3.8ghz here, but that is with a nForce chipset (I run SLI), which don't do overclocking as well as the Intel's.

Your choice is good. The P45 chipset is a good chipset to overclock, not for marvelous things, but you should get a G0 Q6600 to 3.2 with ease, 3.6 with luck - that is with a good air cooler. I'm running my E8400 at 3.8ghz here, but that is with a nForce chipset (I run SLI), which don't do overclocking as well as the Intel's.

That's good to know, thanks for the info.

huh? in case you didn't notice, I intend to get the Intel Q6600, so why would I get an AMD board?! And I definitly don't intend to get Phenom.

ok no prob.....

I am now on P35 -> Abit IP35-E, which is an overclockers board.

I did saw many reviews on your board and I have to say :D. Super mobo!

Go for it!

The CPU is a bit old, but its really good. Stepping G0 is the best for overclocking.

I have an E6750 with G0 and runs on 32°C on stock freq and stock cooling! No probs with temps!

What's the stepping on your Q6600? B3 or G0? and what kind of cooling do you use, stock or custom air?

The stepping is B revision G0. For the cpu fan, I am using Arctic-Cooling Freezer7 Pro. The PC case is a CoolerMaster CM690. The cpu fan is near the top of the case where there is a 120mm case fan that I installed. It draws air from the outside and directly into the cpu fan where it helps keep the cpu cool. The air is room temperature with no A/C.

Maximun CPU Temperature

Added: My PC has been running for an hour now and the highest CPU temp was 55c/130F

My current choices are:

Intel Q6600 G0

I think this CPU is a bit old now, what do you think about a new C2Q Q9xxx, with FSB 1333Mhz and 45nm tech... I think it's a better choice.

My current choices are:

Intel Q6600 G0

I think this CPU is a bit old now, what do you think about a new C2Q Q9xxx, with FSB 1333Mhz and 45nm tech... I think it's a better choice.

All I know is that two weeks after I purchased mine, Intel decided to drop the price. That kills me!

My current choices are:

Intel Q6600 G0

All I know is that two weeks after I purchased mine, Intel decided to drop the price. That kills me!

Theres always something like that...

If you dont wait you buy something with higher price... and regret.

If you wait for a lower price, something new appears with a higher price, but better performance, and you again wait...

So there are only 2 options: you BUY... or you DONT!

Theres always something like that...

If you dont wait you buy something with higher price... and regret.

If you wait for a lower price, something new appears with a higher price, but better performance, and you again wait...

So there are only 2 options: you BUY... or you DONT!

You're right, but new C2Q 45nm isn't too expensive, I'd love it, but can't effort to build a new computer using it. However, Q6600 really old and its performance can't campare with the new one, even new AMD Phenom.

Huh... I didnt check prices for a long time.

Q6600 can be a good choice. I know that new processors may be better, but you can buy a cheap Q6600 and overclock it. Same result.

I think this CPU is a bit old now, what do you think about a new C2Q Q9xxx, with FSB 1333Mhz and 45nm tech... I think it's a better choice

It's definitly not "old", at least not yet, but anyways I can't afford the Q9xxx at all.

Q6600 really old and its performance can't campare with the new one, even new AMD Phenom.

You're sadly mistaken.

Q6600 can be a good choice. I know that new processors may be better, but you can buy a cheap Q6600 and overclock it. Same result.

My point exactly.

Note: in any case, my "financial state" got shot, so the upgrade has been postponed :) , hopefully by the time I can cough up the cash the prices will drop further :dance2:

Thanks for all the info/help guys.

Note: in any case, my "financial state" got shot, so the upgrade has been postponed :) , hopefully by the time I can cough up the cash the prices will drop further :dance2:

Thanks for all the info/help guys.

You should pray that Intel or AMD brings out a new processor.

It's the only way I can imagine for them to lower prices :D .

You should pray that Intel or AMD brings out a new processor.

It's the only way I can imagine for them to lower prices

Well, Intel Core i7 should hit the market officially in the next couple of weeks, so... :)

Archived