newsleecher and giganews

myidisbb

on my desktop i have 1 GB ram. i try changing the header date getting from 240 to 180 but have problems the large newsgroups. expect for getting only latest 1 million headers is there a way to change the header date amount for just certain newsgroups? on my laptop i have 2 GB ram and dont seem to have this problem. i almost never had this problem when the max retention was 140 to 110 days on gigamews and newshost.

i used to like being able to scan a.b.tv for anything. but now its a bit hard on my desktop. i have the header cashe etc going to aone slaved harddrive and the downloads going to another slaved harddrive. that keeps C: drive free of crap.

should i change the date amount for all of them to much less number like 150 etc? if this is so i dont see a reason to keep giga news then. i could live without the giganews accelerator if im only going to be getting 150 days.

if i switch to newshost i know i will click on getting newsgroup listing. but will i have to suscribe to all the newsgorup rooms i already have on gignews?

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main reason why you have that problem is newsleecher , namely the way it handels headers, which cause very often memory leakage. The only news client i know of that it's more " robust " when it comes to large groups handeling is Usenet Explorer. The problem with usenet explorer is that isn't as user freindly as Newsleecher , but after you'll get used to it's built in features , will make you stick to it even it looks "ugly" the features built in surpass by far newsleecher. Just remember that it's that user freindly and if you need a guide on how to use it this one will do the job.

followup. i made about 6 newsgroups that had large ammounts of headers to just Get Last Million Headers. now when i get the last couple million headers thatwas left in a.b.tv it allowed me to without memory error. it did crash with out memory erorr later when i try but it didnt go back to having to get all those 80+ million headers etc.

there has to be something just wrong with newsleecher since 3.7 version. the older versions would not be as stable and crash but this is just plain crazy. now since giganews doing 200+ days for bins then newsleecher makers need to fix their problems.

seeing if a.b.multimedia will finsih up the last 12 million headers now too.

The main reason why you have that problem is newsleecher , namely the way it handels headers, which cause very often memory leakage. The only news client i know of that it's more " robust " when it comes to large groups handeling is Usenet Explorer. The problem with usenet explorer is that isn't as user freindly as Newsleecher , but after you'll get used to it's built in features , will make you stick to it even it looks "ugly" the features built in surpass by far newsleecher. Just remember that it's that user freindly and if you need a guide on how to use it this one will do the job.

i try UE 1.9 something form newsgroup access of it. hmmm. fired it. it didnt seem to load its name in "add/remove programs" might have to use ccleaner to clean its reg links i guess.

my newsllecher cachev3 is 48 GB in size

Archived