Performance issue (?) after getting a new graphic card

Ferocity

Hello guys,

recently my younger brother and I decided to upgrade our old desktop pc, the Hp Compaq dc 7600 model which has had been equipped with a low-end 256 MB graphic card, the Radeon X1300 PRO (average G3D Mark ~250).

I thought that getting a better graphic card after all these years that we had the pc would fix his (brother uses the desktop pc for games mostly) frame issues within Call of Duty 2 which he plays the most, and maybe let him play some newer games. In COD2 he had about ~100 fps the whole time, and the frames would occasionally stutter for no reason for +- 40 fps.

I looked around the internet and found the Radeon 7750 HD with 1GB DDR5 to be optimal performance and budget-wise for us (it also had some pros about power comsumption while using only the pci-e slot etc.). Specificaly it's the MSI Radeon 7750 HD. (average G3D Mark ~1800).

After upgrading to the newer graphic card I am a bit disappointed. I expected getting a new graphic card would let him get much better performance in games, regarding the G3D Mark score (250<<1800), faster memory etc.

In COD2 the fps increased just a tiny bit (about ~20-30 overall, btw in talking about a tweaked multiplayer config etc.). And most new or semi-new games need extensive tweaking to being able to play them smoothly (talking about resolutions not larger then 1280×1024, lowered details, additional tweaking via commandline parameters, game configs etc.). Not sure what the bottleneck of the PC is, updated all drivers, the pc is clean from viruses, malware etc, regularly use CCleaner and PerfectDisk.

Here is the dxdiag of the named PC. Do I really expect too much, or is this normal that the performance improvement is so minimal?

Please help me out, thanks ahead if you manage to help me out, or diagnose whats it about, if not please point me to a forum that's more topic related, or is more about diagnosing and fixing problems like these.

Cheers,

Ferocity

DxDiag.txt

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm, single core processor could be the bottleneck. Also, that card looks like low profile card, I wouldn't expect much from it. Also, all those card having 128-bit bus are not good enough.

Cheers ;)

Your VGA is not bad actually, it's quite good.

But I think it's your Pentium 4's fault, it's really old and you might need to upgrade that, too. :)

3GB RAM is also enough for playing games, especially on 32-bit systems; however, you need to update that in next year or so for being able to play future games. :)

• Administrator

7750 is not quite powerful. However, it is powerful enough to blowout older on board (?) GPU. But as mentioned, other things might be a reason too.

@mara-: Not entirely correct. AMD has optimized it so well that 7770, a 128bit graphics card is as faster as 6850 which is 256bit, in practical performance. :)

Hope that you've made necessary configurations for your new graphics card to take precedence in the BIOS.

@mara-: Not entirely correct. AMD has optimized it so well that 7770, a 128bit graphics card is as faster as 6850 which is 256bit, in practical performance. :)

I doubt this is true in HD resolutions.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

I doubt this is true in HD resolutions.

Cheers ;)

See this & this. It beats 6850 in some and loses against in some. :)

Some say it's because of PCI-E 3.0 but others say 7770 will never reach it's bandwidth. Some say it's better, some say it's worse. I say it's equal. 6850 is good in older games, 7770 is better in newer special games.

Damn it, DKT. :D This was the site I was asking from you via PM, which has CPU comparison, and you couldn't remember. :P I still think 6850 is better choice, it's better in more games.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

Damn it, DKT. :D This was the site I was asking from you via PM, which has CPU comparison, and you couldn't remember. :P I still think 6850 is better choice, it's better in more games.

Cheers ;)

:rofl:

Actually, some time ago my 5450 died. In replacement I got 4870 in $25-30, which started giving artifacts within a week. So I had sent it again to get another one. In the meantime I thought that if, if it's not available, I'll go with 6850 or 7770. So after hours and days of research, I came to this particular comparison chart. I had read the first anandtech article but wasn't aware of this chart, hence found it via google. :)

Why this chart is hard to find? SEO (search engine optimization). When you type xyz vs xyz (graphics card) you get couple of sites but this chart page comes on second page of google, whereas it should be the very first thing in my opinion.

Good point. 6850 leads in 30 and 7770 only leads in 9 (?). However, 7770's plus point is that 6850 is power hungry, 7770 isn't, 6850 takes 125W, 7770 takes 80W.

In COD2 the fps increased just a tiny bit (about ~20-30 overall

My friend, increment of 20-30 fps is not a tiny..its a significant one.. :)

Archived