Teen dies after playing Diablo III for 40 hours

DKT27

• Administrator

An 18 year old from Taiwan apparently collapsed and died after playing Diablo III for 40 hours straight, without even stopping to eat. The teen, who is only being identified as Chaung, rented a private room in an internet café in Tainan, and proceeded to spend the next two days slicing up baddies.

After two days, an attendant came into Chaung’s room and found him sleeping on the table, and although he was able to wake him up, Chaung collapsed on the floor and was pronounced dead at the hospital. Apparently he suffered a blood clot from sitting for too long, but at this point that’s only speculation.

Blizzard, in a really classy move (we'd like to take the time to say that we echo their words), released the following statement regarding Chaung’s death:

We're saddened to hear this news, and our thoughts are with his family and friends during this difficult time. We don't feel it would be appropriate for us to comment further without knowing all of the circumstances involved. While we recognise that it's ultimately up to each individual or their parent or guardian to determine playing habits, we feel that moderation is clearly important, and that a person's day-to-day life should take precedence over any form of entertainment.

On a related note (as if we needed to report more grim news), the Huffington Post points out that another Taiwanese man died back in February after a 23 hour League of Legends session.

:view: View: Original Article

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the chair did it

Very sad to hear this.'Too much of anything is good for nothing' has been proved once again.

Chaung collapsed on the floor and was pronounced dead at the hospital. Apparently he suffered a blood clot from sitting for too long....

It's called DVT. Deep vein Thrombosis. An (NBC?) journalist in Iraq died this way a few years back if I remember correctly after traveling in a crouched position 'embedded' in an Army Tank for hours on end. :nono:

he wasted his life for a overpriced overhyped game :(

jimbojet2011

May God have his soul

Its almost embarrassing to be associated by ethnicity to these types of people :( Where is their common sense?

see what no sex causes?

see what no sex causes?

:yes: :yes: :yes:

grouchysmurf

You know, of all the conversations I never want to have, trying to explain to God why I wasted the last 2 days of my life playing a video game..........

You know, of all the conversations I never want to have, trying to explain to God why I wasted the last 2 days of my life playing a video game..........

Better than trying to explain why you wasted time watching the naughty stuff :hehe:

grouchysmurf

Better than trying to explain why you wasted time watching the naughty stuff :hehe:

Nah, that one is easy. I will just say that I was critiquing his work :hypocrite:

srsly..

who wouldn't die after doing such a thing? >.>

Archived