Explorer.exe freaking out

elohelomg

Well, someone brought a computer to me that is having some weird issue. Originally, I thought it had some kind of root kit on it, and, ran scans with multiple scanners. However, the problem persists. When the computer turns on, explorer.exe doesn't load normally, as only 4 icons load. Closing and reopening it just does the same thing.

I've ran scans with malwarebytes, tdsskiller, comodo, kaspersky virus removal tool, combofix, and now, esets online scanner.

Nothing I do seems to work. I'm stuck at this point. Ideas?

I've also done a system restore as well, restoring it to about a month ago.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would just reformat COMPLETELY, to be rid of the issue however it may be an icon cache issue. id google on how to restore icon cache. (as a frist resort)

Ok, maybe I was being mean in my last post. I'll help you.

sfc /SCANFILE=c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

sfc /SCANFILE=c:\windows\sysWOW64\explorer.exe /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

No need to scan them all.

As a side note:

I don't think that is the problem. My laptop used to do that sometime ago. I used Perfect Disk Pro to put the boot files at the front. Only then did all the icons load in the taskbar. It could be just that the boot files are all over the disk. Defrag it my friend. Clean up the disk then Boot defrag with PD Pro. Hope this works.

If not, shred -n 0 -z /dev/sda then reinstall.

SnakeMasteR

Open regedit and navigate to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon

Look down the list in the right window pane for the word Shell

The data in that line should read Explorer.exe - Remove anything else in that line and reboot and you are all fixed.

or you could try using msconfig.exe and see if its unchecked for startup processes.

Source

If that does not work, it could be a corrupted shell extension or registry error or something similar.

Posted Image :lol:

i would just reformat COMPLETELY, to be rid of the issue however it may be an icon cache issue. id google on how to restore icon cache. (as a frist resort)

I cant wipe the disk. Too many stuff that I cant back up.

Ok, maybe I was being mean in my last post. I'll help you.

sfc /SCANFILE=c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

sfc /SCANFILE=c:\windows\sysWOW64\explorer.exe /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

No need to scan them all.

As a side note:

I don't think that is the problem. My laptop used to do that sometime ago. I used Perfect Disk Pro to put the boot files at the front. Only then did all the icons load in the taskbar. It could be just that the boot files are all over the disk. Defrag it my friend. Clean up the disk then Boot defrag with PD Pro. Hope this works.

If not, shred -n 0 -z /dev/sda then reinstall.

I've already ran a full sfc /scannow

Open regedit and navigate to:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon

Look down the list in the right window pane for the word Shell

The data in that line should read Explorer.exe - Remove anything else in that line and reboot and you are all fixed.

or you could try using msconfig.exe and see if its unchecked for startup processes.

Source

If that does not work, it could be a corrupted shell extension or registry error or something similar.

Posted Image :lol:

checked this, and, the shell is Explorer.exe

RUN explorer.exe manually till you find some definite solution..

To do so press win_key + R, then at the window that pops up, write explorer.exe and press enter.

You may try installing some startup managers or some system maintenance utilities containing startup managers and add explorer.exe to start automatically when the system starts.

• Administrator

Got the idea from rudrax's post.

Download Hijackthis, scan and post the log here.

Also, if you want, download Revo Pro or Total Uninstaller (again, from frontpage) and post the list of installed apps. I've got a feeling that a software is being naughty here.

How's the freakin' Mr. Explorer.exe doin' today - is he jiving, or doin' the tango (my guess is he's freakin' out with African sambha.) Forgive me just had to give-in to my itch. :P

Archived