Sata Dvd Burners, and HD's

PsychoticxBloodxLust

PsychoticxBloodxLust

Built my PC back in Feb. April my Optical Drive died it was a cheap sata Lite-on DVD Burner i paid $30 for and well ya Lite-on Support sucks and i have sicne used my pc with out an optical drive i need a new one.

Must be: Sata, Under $150, DVD/CD Burner.

Next my 2 320 seagate HD's running Raid 0 are almost full.

SSD are too pricy for me for the storage i need, so i was looking at the the new seagate 1 1/2 terabyte for $189

suggestions are appercaited

• Replies 10
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go for a Pioneer(like this one) or a Sony NEC drive for your CD/DVD, you're set with a 30-50 dollar model from them ;)

For your HD I'd go for a Samsung Spinpoint F1. 500 GB, 750 GB, 1 TB.

Where do you live and where are you planning on buying?

I wonder where you're buying, because these prices you are talking about are like... WTF

PsychoticxBloodxLust

The web. the two main sites I use are TigerDirect and NewEgg, I have bought from oter sites as well like xoide, frozen cpu, etc...

The HD Seagate 1.5 TB i was thinking about figured it would last till SSD's get upto at least 500-750 gig's neverthough i would use 600 gigs but in less then a year damn!

still looking though Optical Burners, I might breakdown and just get the $500+ sony blu-ray burner lol J/K do they have have blu-ray blank media?

EDIT: SONY SATA DVD Burner

PsychoticxBloodxLust

I like the samsung spinpoint F1 hd's but i need the extra storage depending on my next pay check i'm thinking of just getting 2 seagate's @ 7.9 cents a gig and running them both in RAID 1 and keep one of my 320Gig's as internal backup and convert the other to an external and sell it here on campus since I have enough flash drives for my external carry needs an 8 gig for everything a 4 gig for my tech tools, and a 2gig setup as a boot disk with linux and windows, i have another 8 gig i'm trying to get $30 for from kingston

Just get an external DVD Burner.

Internal CD / DVD Burners breaks easily because they are constantly turned on, while external CD / DVD burners can be turned off if not being used.

PsychoticxBloodxLust

not so true today at least not for me i have external sata and power connectors the last one i had was junk and after browsing the web i found it had a high failur rate

Note: After serching the web, and reading tons of reviews I decided to stick with the sony I never used LG an LG product so i kinda backdown from that went with my first pick.

nice thing is I still have blackbox enclosor from the old burner so i'll swap them out

Other brands may have high failure rate, but my external ASUS CD / DVD RW never failed me for the past 5 years.

PsychoticxBloodxLust

how do you feel about the cd/dvd burner hd/blu-ray reader combo's i've seen a few but makes weary

• 4 weeks later...

For DVD burners, I suggest one of their latest burners. Pioneers, as suggested by shought, are great. But if I still remember, certain Samsung models are better. Check out cdfreaks for comparisons, reviews, discussions.

• 4 weeks later...
PsychoticxBloodxLust

awesomeness thanks bucow i bought a Sony sata dvd burner from Tigerdirect sony - dru-v200s model works nice i love it

it doesn't have lightscribe but i have not used it once in my life havn't really found a reason when a simple fine point black sharpie is just as good

Archived