WTF, reboot instead of standby ?

broke23

Hmm,

starting of yesterday I noticed something very weird.

When I want to put my pc into standby (hibernate, dunno really, it goes into power saving mode (I think) and when I press the "on" button again on my pc iit starts faster, after a few seconds (instead of doing complete shutdown, so don't know if I use the correct terminology here)

Anyways, when I click standby (orange icon) on my XP home SP3 based computer, my pc rebooted instead of going into standby :)

Today it happened the second time.

Now what did I notice today, after hitting the standby button, pc rebooted, and after booting it went into standby mode ... (yesterday I didn't notice as I pushed the standby button again after the reboot)

Anybody has a clue what this could be ? as far as I recall i haven't made any changed to my pc lately (have a MCE standby tool up and running for some month now, but never experienced any trouble, so I doubt that's the cause of it)

Any ideas ? :yes:

• Replies 9
  • Views 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wierd. I have a similar problem with my laptop. Whenever I have it plugged in and press "Shutdown", it restarts.

By the way you can save space by going into your power settings and disabling Hibernate.

although this doesn't completely fit with what you're saying, let's give this a shot to see if make it's related and you're just getting confused.

go to control panel-> power options -> advanced tab -> Under Power Button, see which option is selected for "when i press the power button on my computer." If you have this feature, it's possible that you are accidentally telling the computer to go in to standby or do something else. This is all I can really think of, as I could not find anything online.

Also, do you ever receive any sort of error or does your computer just do all these things and never give any sort of error message? You might want to go into control panel-> administrative tools-> event viewer. Look at the ones under System (possibly also application). Check out what they say, especially the ones listed as errors and warnings. If you do not have any, perhaps check the regular entries to see if they indicate what caused your computer to reboot, hibernate, etc. That might give you the best clues as to what's going wrong.

bearoninternet
Hmm,

starting of yesterday I noticed something very weird.

Any ideas ? :)

Since this suggests you never experienced this problem before, did you install updates for windows yesterday?

If so, uninstall them and see if that solves your problem.

Just wait for a while then, they'll probably fix it soon.

I am not an expert, i just happen to be experiencing the same problem. :yes:

No Events in the log, Power options are correct, Bios is good. Havent installed any new software (or updates) since it has began.

Whenever I have it plugged in and press "Shutdown", it restarts.

You mean "Shutdown" from the "Turn off computer" options in Windows? Or do you mean from some button on your laptop that's meant for shutting down? i assume the former, but just want to be sure before I try to investigate further.

here's something to consider in the mean time that i'll just paste:

Go to Start/Run/Sysdm.cpl

Press the Advanced Tab,Start Up and Recovery

Now go to Settings/System Failure and Unmark "Automatically Restart"/Ok/Ok.

Also in this area is an option about writing an event to the system log, which I suppose could not occur for some reason if this is actually your problem. If this is happening EVERY TIME, then it wouldn't hurt to uncheck the auto-restart and see if it everything then works normally. if it does, then you probbaly have some kind of critical error which at least gives you a direction to go (e.g. check for hardware failure or some software not functioning correctly).

for me it hasn't got anything to do with buttons, when I say I want to go into standby mode, I just press START, and then the shutdown button (shown in menu) and then I pick the outer left button (standby) and click it.

Today it happened again, started pc for first time (so first boot), everything fine, when I want to go into standby, I leave my pc, and hear it's rebooting, I return, it rebooted, and then turns into standby

like WTF ? ;)

Archived