Avitar

Hey everyone. Recently I've removed a virus from my BIOS and in the process i opened up my Gateway NV59C and cleaned it up. Unfortunately, I removed the thermal conductor from the Core to the heatsync, thinking it was years of built up muck. Can anyone recommend a homemade alternative? I have lots of creams and greases, just not sure which one to try...

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lots of creams and greases, just not sure which one to try...

:lmao:

I couldn't help myself... :sorry:

I'm an engineer, lots of grease around. And my sister has tons of face and body creams i can use some of... :wtf:

Hmm, this sounds like a terrible idea. you are better off just putting back the heatsink without any thermal grease. Most household items contain water or paraffin or alcohol that will dry out and get hard in a very short time. The longest lasting thing you could get is silicone lubricant and rub the thinnest layer possible. I don't recommend any of this, it's a bad idea when you consider thermal grease is cheap. Ask your girlfriend for $5 USD and go buy some thermal grease. ^_^

Hmm, this sounds like a terrible idea. you are better off just putting back the heatsink without any thermal grease.

Actually, that's what I did, and the core jumps to 80 degrees Celsius when processing and shuts off randomly.

Ask your girlfriend for $5 USD and go buy some thermal grease. ^_^

Now you're from the same country as I am. Buying something defeats the purpose of nerd life...

Who sells the thermal grease by the way? Can I get some from you? I live in south.

hahahahahaha :D

Just use some hand cream, that should do the trick :lol:

This made my day.

stylemessiah

Toothpaste :P

Actually why dont you go hard core and submerge the motherboard in oil and oil cool it...trust me its a real thing, google it

You know, that perverted thought gave me an idea. Maybe I should go ask my girlfriend for some of her lubricant! ^_^

It is silicone based after all, isn't it? And it didn't dry up on my d**k... :rolleyes:

• Administrator

Toothpaste :P

Actually why dont you go hard core and submerge the motherboard in oil and oil cool it...trust me its a real thing, google it

^^ This.

I've heard a lot about both of the things mentioned above. If you are willing to take the risk, then you can try them. :)

Ask your girlfriend for $5 USD and go buy some thermal grease. ^_^

Now you're from the same country as I am. Buying something defeats the purpose of nerd life...

Who sells the thermal grease by the way? Can I get some from you? I live in south.

Yes I know nerd life is fun at times but some materials just can't be built at home. You can get from an electronics component shop, most of them have NTE-303 silicone thermal compound. Places such as Montrose Electronics, Singh's Electronics, Sham's Electronics, Steve's Electronics, and possibly radio shack but usually radio shack is lame. I bought some of that a time when I washed out my heatsink and needed paste, it works great. Apply the thinnest layer possible, don't slather it on like you might see some people doing. Laptop cpu usually does not have the metal cap over the cpu die either so you want to avoid having it leak all over the circuit board.

If you have a Best Buy near you, they have it online, you might check out one of there stores. Radio Shack in the past would be a place to check, but they have now turned into a phone and toy store.

I wouldn't run it until you get it fixed properly. You over cook that core too many times, its going to cost you a lot more than a cheap tube of heat sink compound.

grouchysmurf

REALLY?????

You gotta be kidding me.....

I can get a vial of the crap for 89 cents. Really, look it up.

And NO....there is no home remedy, I do not give a crap what someone says.

Thermal grease, sometimes called thermal compound, is used to fill any voids between two flat surfaces. Its'

properties allow it to conduct heat from one surface to another.....did I mention it was...CHEAP??

Let me see now, a few hundred bucks for a new cpu, depending on your needs, which will come with some grease,

or 89 cents for your very own vial of it, which will save your cpu from getting a hole blown thru it.

ROFLMAO.....Please, do not use mayo unless your making a sandwich. :P

/quote]

[

quote name=Pedrito' timestamp='1340752012' post='436319]

Update for anyone who is interested:

I found a yellow, sulphur based grease in my 4x4 hilux. I tested some-

THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY: EXCELLENT

ELECTRICAL CONDUCTIVITY: NONE ( LESS THAN 220 VOLTS), <1% >220V >=100A

I applied a little on and around the CPU and it bound the CPU and the heatsinc like a sorta glue. Upon testing in a room at 35C for 2 hours...

NO CRASH! :D

Measuring temperature... fan active, CPU usage 100%, -> ~30C!!

OMG!!! I don't know what they call this stuff but it never gets hard or softer no matter how hot it gets. It's soo better than artic silver 5 :)

I'm gonna coat everyone's CPU with it ^_^

AlienForce1

excuse me , maybe my knowledge of english are limited - but I didn't understand ..., what did you use ? :s

Avitar :

I found a yellow, sulphur based grease in my 4x4 hilux

excuse me , maybe my knowledge of english are limited - but I didn't understand ..., what did you use ? :s

Avitar :

I found a yellow, sulphur based grease in my 4x4 hilux

Grease, as in the sticky stuff used between moving parts in a van's engine...? It was yellow in colour. From the smell and my years as a chemistry student, I concluded that it contains sulphur, the chemical element "S" in it. Sulphur based compunds are good conductors of heat but do not conduct electricity...

I took some of the grease from the van's engine and applied a small layer between the CPU and heatsinc. Understand me a little better now my friend?

I did not understand what you mean by ``my 4x4 hilux`` , the rest is clear... :)

Oh that's a motor vehicle. You know, the ones with 4 doors and a 4 wheel drive with a tray on the back...?

Posted Image

AlienForce1

I`m not a great fan of cars (I just drive one - without making a passion for them) , so I didn`t knew that exists a Toyota Hilux ...

Archived