2 Low-end cards (SLI) vs. 1 med-end?

rKAnjEL

I'm currently using an nVIDIA 7300GT DDR3, and was thinking about upgrading but I can't afford getting any high-end cards.

So, I'm wondering which will be better? if I get 2 budget cards (ex: 2 x 8500GT) and use SLI, or get only 1 but a bit better (ex: 1 x 9500GT). any ideas?

I have no intention whatsoever to get an ATI card, since I have SLI (not Crossfire) and I'd like to use it at some point.

PS: Keep in mind that I don't live in US/EU so the prices you know will probably be much less than the actual ones where I live.

Anyways, I just wanna hear your ideas. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for the 9500 here. Since the 9xxx series are such a big improvement over the 8xxx series (low and med end that is) it is really worth it. (Running 2x 9600gt in SLI myself, and loving every bit of it.)

Go for the 9500 here. Since the 9xxx series are such a big improvement over the 8xxx series (low and med end that is) it is really worth it. (Running 2x 9600gt in SLI myself, and loving every bit of it.)

Thanks for the response.

I'm still not sure about the actual prices (I'll go check tomorrow or so), but I hope I can afford a 9600GT or 8800GS.

9600GT is +-90-100 euro. Great bang for buck. Also you can try for an 8800GT, which is very good bang for buck too... also +-100-110 euro.

You should take the 9500GT over two 8500GTs ;) I'd recommend always taking one (X+1)YYY card over two XYYY cards(hope you got that... :P), that is if they are the same price.

@KilJaden, you're right, that chart was very helpful to me too when I was choosing my graphics card :)

9600GT is +-90-100 euro. Great bang for buck. Also you can try for an 8800GT, which is very good bang for buck too... also +-100-110 euro.

Well, as I said before I don't live in US/EU so the actual prices where I live will probably differ greatly than those you mentioned.

You want to make a opinion on performance you could try the Performance Charts Graphics Cards from Tom's Hardware , even if today benchmarks are not the ideal way to compare products.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

You should take the 9500GT over two 8500GTs I'd recommend always taking one (X+1)YYY card over two XYYY cards(hope you got that... ), that is if they are the same price.

I understand what you mean, but do you mind further explaining your reasoning?

I was actually planning on doing so, but in my endless chaos I decided not to :)

Well, SLI is still not developed far enough to give those great performance improvements you would expect. In most cases it'll cost you more buying two of the XYYY cards than buying one (X+1)YYY card and as I said there probably won't be any performance improvements(probably degraded performance even). If you would ask something like... 2x 8600GT vs 9500GT it'd get a little bit more interesting, but if I were you I'd still pick the 9500GT in that case since(in Holland, the 9500GT(I'll work with indexes, not real prices) is 100 and two 8600GTs would be 130). How much are you planning on spending(don't convert to Euro/Dollar, just in your currency)? Could you show me the place where you'd want to buy your card(s)?

I was actually planning on doing so, but in my endless chaos I decided not to :)

Well, SLI is still not developed far enough to give those great performance improvements you would expect. In most cases it'll cost you more buying two of the XYYY cards than buying one (X+1)YYY card and as I said there probably won't be any performance improvements(probably degraded performance even). If you would ask something like... 2x 8600GT vs 9500GT it'd get a little bit more interesting, but if I were you I'd still pick the 9500GT in that case since(in Holland, the 9500GT(I'll work with indexes, not real prices) is 100 and two 8600GTs would be 130). How much are you planning on spending(don't convert to Euro/Dollar, just in your currency)? Could you show me the place where you'd want to buy your card(s)?

And here I thought that SLI was that great, if that's the case maybe I should consider ATI after all since it's usually cheaper than nVIDIA but I dunno anything about ATI models (ex: what's the ATI equivellant for 9500/9600GT?)

The place I'll buy from is basically one big computer mall, they have no website if that's what you meant.

I was actually planning on doing so, but in my endless chaos I decided not to ;)

And here I thought that SLI was that great, if that's the case maybe I should consider ATI after all since it's usually cheaper than nVIDIA but I dunno anything about ATI models (ex: what's the ATI equivellant for 9500/9600GT?)

The place I'll buy from is basically one big computer mall, they have no website if that's what you meant.

Everyone recommended me to pick Nvidia instead of ATI, why? Ask Santa, I don't know :) I like Nvidia though, they release driver updates much more often. The ATI equivalent would be the HD3650 I guess?

Go with the 9500GT. Something I learned with guns also works with computers: Research the crap out of a big buy but in the end get the best thing you can get within your budget.

I was actually planning on doing so, but in my endless chaos I decided not to ;)

Everyone recommended me to pick Nvidia instead of ATI, why? Ask Santa, I don't know :) I like Nvidia though, they release driver updates much more often. The ATI equivalent would be the HD3650 I guess?

HD4650, which is not yet here. Also the HD4830 seems to get pretty hot, but it isnt out yet too.

PsychoticxBloodxLust

in all honesty i have machine running to 6800 GS's xxx superclocked running at factory and it still plays the latest game like cod4 at mid setting some med to high settings so i mean even two low end but good card would do ya i recommend a dual gpu x800 card myself or two single x800 above the 8 series i buy from Tigerdirect because they of business and i get discounts but i recommend for $200 XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + or for a dual GPU or a similar XFX brand of GPU x800 have more bang for your buck and wills ave down the road from upgrading in a hurry but if ya can afford 2 XFX 8800 single gpus then go for it Sli really is nice and since i flashed to ASUS's new bios I'm enjoying my Video card even more I am Pissed though that i paid $600 for it and 2 months later it droped like it did in price *Curses out nvidias 280's gpu's that overheated like no other*

NOTE: Before deciding do a side by side comparison at tiger direct on video card i looked at a Dual GPU 8800 for the same price as the sigle core 9800 and the 9800 is better, it comes down to the physic core speeds and memory speeds.

What is your Budget if you can give me a price range i can pick you a real good card and the best price on net for it but if i where you I'd stick with in 9 series range unless you can a 8 series with better core and memory speeds :):):)

in all honesty i have machine running to 6800 GS's xxx superclocked running at factory and it still plays the latest game like cod4 at mid setting some med to high settings so i mean even two low end but good card would do ya i recommend a dual gpu x800 card myself or two single x800 above the 8 series i buy from Tigerdirect because they of business and i get discounts but i recommend for $200 XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + or for a dual GPU or a similar XFX brand of GPU x800 have more bang for your buck and wills ave down the road from upgrading in a hurry but if ya can afford 2 XFX 8800 single gpus then go for it Sli really is nice and since i flashed to ASUS's new bios I'm enjoying my Video card even more I am Pissed though that i paid $600 for it and 2 months later it droped like it did in price *Curses out nvidias 280's gpu's that overheated like no other*

NOTE: Before deciding do a side by side comparison at tiger direct on video card i looked at a Dual GPU 8800 for the same price as the sigle core 9800 and the 9800 is better, it comes down to the physic core speeds and memory speeds.

What is your Budget if you can give me a price range i can pick you a real good card and the best price on net for it but if i where you I'd stick with in 9 series range unless you can a 8 series with better core and memory speeds :rolleyes::);)

Unfortunatly I can't afford any of the cards you mentioned, as a matter of fact I don't think there are even any dual GPU cards here, it's sad I know...ah well, thanks anyways.

Could you tell me all the options you're considering and their prices(doesn't matter in what currency, I'm working in indexes anyway)? Please do include all specs, not just Nvidia GeForce .... or ATI ....

Could you tell me all the options you're considering and their prices(doesn't matter in what currency, I'm working in indexes anyway)? Please do include all specs, not just Nvidia GeForce .... or ATI ....

I don't have the exact prices atm, but I should have them by the end of the day, when/if I do I'll let you know.

Archived