[Solved] Laptop and router don`t connect to internet

AlienForce1

AlienForce1

Today I was at a friend`s house to help him set the internet connection . His router refuses to connect to internet (connection PPPoE , user and pasw correct) , even if I tried directly his laptop to internet cable doesn`t connect to internet .

Now comes the strange part - the internet connection was working ok when I tried my laptop directly to cable ... any ideea ?

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the OS's on the two laptops?

Well, I only asked, because I've had that same problem when installing Win 7 on my rig. If you've patience, you could install XP on a VM to check whether it would work there. That would eliminate hardware components inside the laptop. It would then mean it's something wrong with the network adapter.

AlienForce1

Well, I only asked, because I've had that same problem when installing Win 7 on my rig. If you've patience, you could install XP on a VM to check whether it would work there. That would eliminate hardware components inside the laptop. It would then mean it's something wrong with the network adapter.

Now , to make you understand that there is really something strange happening , I will tell you that I tried to use my friend`s Iphone as internet router for the laptop -> the laptop connected to internet thru Iphone without any problem !!! :wtf:

What the hell?! O.o

Ok... um... That checks out the laptop's hardware out of the picture... O.o ... apparently.

That's weird shit. Could it be that Win 7 has specific compatibility issues on specific configurations only???

Well... I guess getting an XP/Linux, or another OS into a dual boot system along side 7 would be the quickest fix for your friend. Or hell, you could train him how to reinstall on a VM, that way he won't need virtually any protection?

Anything other than that would require analysis. And I'm guessing the guy only wants his Internet. XD

Today I was at a friend`s house to help him set the internet connection . His router refuses to connect to internet (connection PPPoE , user and pasw correct) , even if I tried directly his laptop to internet cable doesn`t connect to internet .

Now comes the the strange part - the internet connection was working ok when I tried my laptop directly to cable ... any ideea ?

So when you connected your laptop directly to the modem via cable (bypassing the router) it worked and you're friend's didn't?

Now , to make you understand that there is really something strange happening , I will tell you that I tried to use my friend`s Iphone as internet router for the laptop -> the laptop connected to internet thru Iphone without any problem !!! :wtf:

You're friend's laptop connected successfully to the internet via wifi using the IPhone as the router?

If I got the information correctly, I think there's a problem with you're friend's laptop LAN port. Have your tried using your laptop and connect it to the router using a cable and see if it works?

AlienForce1

As I already explained in the first post , the router doesn`t connect to internet -> you can see it`s state watching in `Configuration Page` -> `Status`

My friend`s laptop doesn`t connect to internet thru cable (connecting directly to provider`s cable) , but my laptop connects immediately in the same conditions ...

I tried to uninstall LAN -> reboot -> reinstall LAN -> re-create PPPoE connection -> still no succes !

Here's some things you could do to further isolate the problem:

Note:

------------------- means wired connection.

- - - - - - - - - - - means wireless/wifi connection

Friend's laptop-----------router--------------ISP = no internet and router's status has no internet connection. Maybe the router's defective or its WAN port. If the router is assigning an IP address properly to the laptop then it could be the WAN port.

Friend's laptop-------------ISP = no internet. Check if you're able to get a proper IP address not in the range of 169.x.x.x. Otherwise there could be a problem with the laptop's ethernet port.

Your laptop-----------------ISP = with internet. Means there's no problem with the ISP.

Friend's laptop- - - - - - - - - -iPhone- - - - - - - -ISP ? = with internet. Connected thru wifi, again, there could be a problem with the laptop's ethernet(LAN) port.

From what I can understand, based on the information, there could be a problem with both the router and your friend's laptop's ethernet/LAN port.

It's hard to isolate without really seeing it but I hope this helps somehow. Good luck! :)

AlienForce1

- no , more to east (GMT+2)

- thank you all

- the problem was solved today -> a technician from ISP came and mumbled something about the colours of the wires that were not right connected (that`s really a great lie -> my laptop was connecting to internet without any problems directly thru ISP cable) and then talked a little with his coleagues from ISP (maybe in fact there was a problem with IP , MAC address and ISP ?? )

Archived