Windows 7: The New XP?

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

When Windows 8 comes out, my guess is that people will stay away from the new version of the operating system and stick with Windows 7.

Posted Image

Windows XP was one of Microsoft's greatest successes and greatest failures: A success because it was so rock-solid, a failure because it was so good that many people didn't want to upgrade to Windows Vista. Based on initial looks at Windows 8, Windows 7 may well be the new XP.

Windows XP was first released in 2001, and because of its speed, stability, and simplicity, has been a winner ever since. Even though it's going on 11 years old, it's still the most popular version of Windows according to Net Applications, with a 44.85 percent market share as of May 2012, compared to 40.51 percent for Windows 7 and 6.88 percent for Windows Vista.

Not everyone agrees that XP is the most popular version of Windows. As of May 2012, StatCounter has Windows 7 with 48.93 percent market share, and XP with 31.06 percent market share. It reports Windows Vista as having 8.38 percent market share.

Posted Image

Either way, though, it's remarkable that an operating system as old as XP has so substantial a market share. Also remarkable is how much more popular Windows 7 is than Windows Vista. That shows that when it comes to operating systems, people really do vote with their dollars. They've stayed away from problem-plagued Vista, and flocked to Windows 7.

My guess is that when Windows 8 comes out, people will also vote: They'll stay away from the new version of the operating system, and stick with Windows 7. Using Windows 8 on a traditional PC is simply too confusing because the operating system has been built for tablets more than for PCs.

Will Windows 7 manage to maintain market leadership 10 or more years after it was released? There's no way to know that. But I don't expect Windows 8 to overtake it, in the same way that Vista never overtook Windows XP.

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 8 is NOT that difficult to use with a traditional PC. I have it running on netbooks, laptops, desktops and old processor desktops. Use half the brain that God gave you and using Win 8 is not hard to do

w8 is not difficult but actually not comfortable

I do not want to use my brain in running the windows because i wish to reserve it doing my work on it

in Win8 you can jump roght away to your desktop and forget about metro, while enjoying some new features... and even if it is dismissed the way Vista was, the next OS probably won't take that long (maybe 2 or 3 years) so people won't attach to 7 the way they did with XP.

have to say i will probably stick with windows 7, but not because its hard to used 8. But just like mosaji said, it just doesn't feel comfortable. Not sure why microsoft decided to force people to use the new startup. There should of been a option to have traditional windows setup on windows 8, instead of being forced to use the new UI. Not that its hard, i just find it annoying.

in Win8 you can jump roght away to your desktop and forget about metro, while enjoying some new features... and even if it is dismissed the way Vista was, the next OS probably won't take that long (maybe 2 or 3 years) so people won't attach to 7 the way they did with XP.

can you even have the start menu anymore? :x

There's a helluva difference between the following 2 terms:-

• not difficult to use
  • unintuitive

Archived