windows 7 Parental Controls Issue!

Win7nerd

ok my computer says the following and im the one and ONLY administrator on my PC, id like to set up parental controls on a diff account obviously but i see the following and i wonder if there's a fix for it or something i may have disabled?

Posted Image

please help id greatly appreciate it! :P

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im experiencing the exact same problem....1 more thing..i didnt accessed it for almost 6 months so i have no idea what i have done wrong.

The userlist arent shown in the parental controls menu, the only way i could get to show an acc in there is to create a new which will eventually be gone there after the next restart.

here are the things ive done so far.

enabled the built in admin acc....didnt get any better

creating a new admin acc...didnt fixed it

creating a new standard acc apply controls onto(i was able to set time restrictions but not programs and gaming)also i cant further edit the details about this acc since this account will be gone from the parental control list after the next restart. time restrictions stays thou.

if anyone has any idea on how to fix this kindly share it pls.

i really need it to enforce discipline to my younger bro's during school season

jimbojet2011

you probably installed an app that messed up your PATH envrionment variable.

Please use the regedit in your administrator cmd window to see the PATH under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Environment

It should be REG_EXPAND_SZ (and not REG_SZ). The application that changed it is likely one of the last entries in the PATH.

If you fix it to be REG_EXPAND_SZ, Parental control should start working again.

Hope this helps.

JJ

Please use the regedit in your administrator cmd window to see the PATH under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Environment

It should be REG_EXPAND_SZ (and not REG_SZ). The application that changed it is likely one of the last entries in the PATH.

Hope this helps.

JJ

checked, but it wasnt the cause. but thnx anyway.

Win7nerd,

Where are you when you get this ?

What are you trying to do when you get this ?

We don't see anything apart your error message...

well when i try to click on the user that i want to get controls over, that's the error i get :(, im on windows 7 ultimate sp1, ive searched Google far and wide and didn't come with anything substantial. :(, ill try the above tip but im unsure at this point.

Hope this helps.

JJ

i didnt even find anything like this, :( and yes i looked in the right place, just sayin :( any tips anyone?

well when i try to click on the user that i want to get controls over, that's the error i get :(, im on windows 7 ultimate sp1, ive searched Google far and wide and didn't come with anything substantial. :(, ill try the above tip but im unsure at this point.

So you already have two user accounts ? Yours is the admin one ? When you try to activate the Parental Controls where are you ?

If you have min. two user accounts, you should login on the admin user account then go to "Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Parental Controls", then select / click on the account you want activate Parental Controls (or before, "Create a new user account" if you have only one account). It will prompt you if you have not a password on your administrator accounts. Then you can set Parental Controls.

PS: I was thinking to a Windows 7 edition issue but it's not. Seems finally Microsoft inclued Parental Controls in ALL editions. I just tested in Entreprise edition, it works. What's is your edition ?

PSS: All is well explained here : Set up Parental Controls

Does it work now ?

So you already have two user accounts ? Yours is the admin one ? When you try to activate the Parental Controls where are you ?

If you have min. two user accounts, you should login on the admin user account then go to "Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Parental Controls", then select / click on the account you want activate Parental Controls (or before, "Create a new user account" if you have only one account). It will prompt you if you have not a password on your administrator accounts. Then you can set Parental Controls.

PS: I was thinking to a Windows 7 edition issue but it's not. Seems finally Microsoft inclued Parental Controls in ALL editions. I just tested in Entreprise edition, it works. What's is your edition ?

PSS: All is well explained here : Set up Parental Controls

Does it work now ?

grrr no it dont, i tried deleting the account to test it on (the NON admin) and remaking an account but the parental controls failed :( i still get the above error for some reason :(.

where am i?

when i go to click on the user (non admin) that i want parental control on, it still gives me the (see original top post pic) error stated above EVEN though i created a new user account and all that. if that's what your asking.

Archived