Apple attempting to block U.S. release of Samsung Galaxy S III

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

Just two weeks from release, Apple moves to block the U.S. release of the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone on June 21, claiming it infringes on two of Apple's patents.

Apple claims that Samsung's Galaxy S III smartphone infringes on two patents related to software features. On Tuesday, Apple requested permission to file a motion for preliminary injunction against Samsung's upcoming product, as discovered by FOSS Patents.

The injunction against the Galaxy S III would be in addition to a previous motion for a preliminary injunction against the Galaxy Nexus.

"Because the Galaxy S III contains two of the exact infringing features already at issue with respect to the Galaxy Nexus, the S III is not more than colorably different from the Galaxy Nexus," Apple's motion reads. One of the patents in question is related to unified search (U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604), famously exemplified with Siri, which Apple claims the Galaxy S III's "S Voice" feature infringes on. The other patent is related to "data detectors" (U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647).

Apple purchased the Samsung Galaxy S III in the U.K., where it was released on May 29. The U.S. release of the phone is scheduled for June 21, which the FOSS Patents blog points out is exactly two weeks after the preliminary injunction hearing.

The motion will likely be discussed at Thursday's hearing.

In a statement emailed to CNET, an Apple spokesperson wrote, "It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging, This kind of blatant copying is wrong, and we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Now that's just b***s****. Samsung has made the best, most powerful mobile in the world and crApple is just jealous of it.

LeetPirate

Now that's just b***s****. Samsung has made the best, most powerful mobile in the world and crApple is just jealous of it.

Funny story, Apple depends on Samsung for all their iPhone chipsets. Ain't that hilarious? On the one hand they sue samsung and on the other hand they pay them to manufacture A4 and A5 chips. LOL

Meanwhile, I bet that's how samsung knows so much about iphones.

calguyhunk

The problem is that without throttling competetion, you can't possibly get a copyright on something as vague as "a phone that replies back in funny/sarcastic one-liners". And if somebody's managed to get that, the merits of that patent and process of how it was deemed to have been fit enough for the granting of a patent should be investigated.

Technological inventions can be patented, not the end result. If that was the case, Ford could never have come up with the Model-T and we'll still be riding in the horse driven carriages 'cuz RR would have had a patent on motorized transportation and most of us can't afford a $400 Grand vehicle, can we? :wtf:

In a statement emailed to CNET, an Apple spokesperson wrote, "It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging, This kind of blatant copying is wrong, and we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Aren't all smart phones and tablets shaped like that - rectangle?

LeetPirate

The one feature of iPhone I hope nobody ever copies is the feature where the screen is designed to break when the phone drops from moderate heights. :hehe:

My friend has an S2 and it fell on the ground but the only damage was some scrapes on the case.

Here's a patent I hope everyone steals:

Posted Image

Ain't it pretty? <3

I'd take this over any I phone or Samsung. The smartphone shit is addictive. I don't want a portable PC to distract me, with the games, and the add-ons, and the themes, and the upgrades, and the pissing on Apple fans... I can barely get off the home computer as it is. It's useless for non-corporate users who need to check emails, etc... so I say - go retro. I bet you could fling this baby right into the wall, and nothing would happen.

Here's a patent I hope everyone steals:

Posted Image

Ain't it pretty? <3

I'd take this over any I phone or Samsung. The smartphone shit is addictive. I don't want a portable PC to distract me, with the games, and the add-ons, and the themes, and the upgrades, and the pissing on Apple fans... I can barely get off the home computer as it is. It's useless for non-corporate users who need to check emails, etc... so I say - go retro. I bet you could fling this baby right into the wall, and nothing would happen.

Smartphone is the future.

@Alanon im agree with u unlessu hav the use of the smartfone like corprate or people who are away frm their PC's there is no need to buy ine cause some of the apps like weather widget will make ne effect on day to day life .

though i use a smartfone not to mention Nokia N8 but I am a gr8 fan fan of photografy

Archived