1- I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 android phone with these Specs:

Model Number: GT-I9100G

Android Version: 2.3.6

Baseband Version: I9100GXXKL4

Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7 dpi@DELL164 #2

Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XXLB1

2- I have also downloaded and installed Kies 2.3.1

3- I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit operating system

I want to upgrade to Icecream Sandwich but when checking for software update on my android (Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Update) a message saying No Update Available. Also i tried checking for firmware update using Kies, but the same message (no update available) still showing what shoould i do ?

Should i wait till the upgrade is available via my software update on my android or on Kies or is there anything else i can do ?

Thank You

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Updating through your phone's software update or kies are definetely the safest ways. If it says that there is no update for the moment then I really think that you should wait for Samsung to release ICS for your phone in your region.

But if you are really impatient and want to upgrade to ICS, you can also do it manually. But, this is also risky (your phone may end up in a boot loop)...so do it at your own risk.

Here are some useful links :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055 (Everything you will need for your phone. Tutorials, modified roms, add-ons, etc...)

Flashing SGS2:

http://androidflip.com/how-to-install-flash-firmware-on-samsung-galaxy-s-2-gt-i9100/ (Tutorial to flash SGS2)

Best,

Sefiros

donkey-girl

Also no icecream sandwich update for desire HD in Denmark the legal normal way, just wait a couple of month and you will get the update :)

LeetPirate

Here is a link to all the Official ICS Firmwares for I9100G.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1679636
Follow the flashing instructions carefully. No pressure, I have never read any cases where this resulted in a hard bricked unfixable phone. Don't tick any boxes in Odin that aren't there automatically, just follow the instructions from the page.

And here is a link to Odin3 v1.85.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dcbt2vrcj1sy7jn

You might have to use a firmware from another region because this phone is only officially released in the middle east, asia, france, and germany. There is no i9100G firmware for Spain. Can you do a *#1234# on your keypad and check your current CSC?

I did the ICS upgrade to the droid X2 even though its not suppose to allow it. The ICS is amazing very clean and crisp. I would recommend it but like said before be careful at the update it can be dangerous and if you have any issue don't bother calling tech support. They aren't going to help at all. But I think you will like it and with the directions I had for my X2 it was very easy. And the reason you can't update it from software update like stated before as well is that Samsung hasn't release it yet for your phone model.

-BTY

Thanks everyone i decided to take the safe way and wait till the update is available throught software update on my android thanks very much

Tweety.Abd

Here's how to do it the safe way. Make sure you follow the steps precisely. You'll be responsible for any potential damage to your phone.

Step 1: First, download the Android 4.0.3 from Samsung Updates.

Step 2: Extract the contents of the zip file in a single folder and save it on your desired location. (It will contain an MD5 file)

Step 3: Now download the Odin application from here and extract it on desired location.

Step 4: Launch ODIN and Power Off the phone. You will need to boot into Download Mode.

Step 5: Download Mode can be launched by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Home + Power Button (sequentially). Wait until the Download Mode appears; it should display a green/ yellow Android logo. In case this doesn't show up, then you should power off the phone again and repeat the action until the Download Mode is entered.

Step 6: When in Download Mode proceed to connect your Galaxy S2 I9100G to your computer and then get to ODIN. (A yellow box should appear signalling that ODIN has detected your device.)

Step 7: In ODIN, do not check or tick any settings or options. Click on PDA and select the *.MD5 file (ICS 4.0.3 firmware you downloaded).

Step 8: After you have successfully selected the file, you’re ready to press the Start button to initiate the installation of the new ICS update on your GT-I9100G device. Wait at least 5-10 minutes until all the firmware files have been updated.

Step 9: When the update is complete you will be taken to your phone’s new home screen and when that happens you need to Switch Off your phone again. You will need to enter Recovery Mode.

Step 10: You can enter the Recovery Mode by pressing the Volume Up + Home + Power Button (sequentially).

Step 11: When in Recovery mode use Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select the options. Navigate to the 'Wipe Data / Factory Reset' and confirm it's action (Power Button).

Step 12: When you’re done, you will need to select ‘++Go Back++’ and return to the main recovery screen.

Step 13: Select ‘Reboot System Now’ and wait until your phone boots into its new Android 4.0.3 ICS firmware screen. Start customizing it and give it a test run to see what improvement it bring for your SGS2 I9100G phone.

Notes:

- Your phone will show 687 MB of RAM. No need to panic, it's perfectly safe and fine. Your phone will be just as snappy as it was in Gingerbread, if not snappier!

- Your phone's 3D computation power will substantially be reduced. Nothing to worry about, you won't even notice the effect unless you're running the benchmark or play a graphic intensive games. However I can understand the irking feeling to know your phone sucks when it comes to games. I will show a way to fix it, provided that you're willing to root your phone.

- Select 'Force GPU Rendering' in the 'Developer's Options'. Slightly more battery consumption, but better performance.

More information will follow if requested.

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Archived