By staff writers

news.com.au

May 29, 2012

8:26AM

Kaspersky Labs discovers 'Flame' super-virus

Infecting government computers for five years

The most malevolent of all known viruses to date

Posted Image

The number of locations of flame infections detected by Kaspersky Labs on their customers' machines. Picture: Kaspersky Labs

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

A POWERFUL new virus has been uncovered which has been sabotaging government systems for at least five years in the Middle East.

The "Flame" program is claimed to be at least 20 times more powerful than any previously known cyberwarfare programs.

That includes the infamous Stuxnet which attacked Iran’s nuclear program in 2010, causing centrifuges in its new uranium enrichment facility at Bushehr to fail just weeks before it was due to start up.

Stuxnet and its successor, Duqu, have been fingered as viruses so powerful they could only have been created by a state.

Flame was discovered by security company Kaspersky, which claims it has been mining Middle East government systems since at least 2010.

Whereas Stuxnet attempted to sabotage Iran's nuclear program and Duqu simply stole data, Flame can steal “computer display contents, information about targeted systems, stored files, contact data and even audio conversations”, according to Kaspersky.

Roel Schouwenberg, a Kaspersky security senior researcher, said there was evidence to suggest the code was commissioned by the same nation or nations that were behind Stuxnet and Duqu.

The virus can copy keyboard strokes and even the voices of people nearby any computer is has infected.

And it was only discovered when anti-virus company Kaspersky and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) investigated another, as yet unknown program, deleting data from computers in the Middle East.

Kaspersky released the 20 gigabyte virus to other researchers yesterday, saying the code was 100 times the size of typical malicious software.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It admitted it could not fully comprehend its scope. To date, the virus is known to have a presence in Iran, Israel, Sudan, Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

“Stuxnet and Duqu belonged to a single chain of attacks, which raised cyberwar-related concerns worldwide," Kaspersky head Eugene Kaspersky said.

"The Flame malware looks to be another phase in this war, and it’s important to understand that such cyber weapons can easily be used against any country.

"Unlike with conventional warfare, the more developed countries are actually the most vulnerable in this case.

Anyone care for some radioactive tuna ??

http://www.news.com.au/technology/no-country-is-safe-from-flame-super-virus-attack-kaspersky-labs/story-e6frfro0-1226370960217

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ambrocious

Five years this thing has been affecting government computers...why am I just now learning about it? As I said in the other post, and now I wonder if it's true, this might be the result of an A.I. computer that is sending out such complex coding as part of an Internet neutering tool. I am a firm believer that new breeds of SUPER malware will surface as we etch closer and closer to a global tyrannical takeover....save the really huge fireworks for the grand finally they always say...

On purpose, some malware which has been so far probably only been tested inside closed networks will now be hauled out and deployed. I believe that this next wave of cyber warfare is going to be nuts.

Archived