Winpatrol problem?

cruelsister

cruelsister

Hi Guys- I've been a user of WinPatrol for quite some time and have just started to notice something odd with the past 2 builds. I've noticed that Outlook 2010 as well as Firefox are taking from 30-50% longer to load with Winpatrol enabled than with WinPatrol closed.

Before I post this problem (?) anywhere else just thought I'd seek confirmation from any other Scotty users out there.

Thanks for any responses.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use scotty almost 8 years now, and the latest builds are even better as before. no slowdowns here.

i use a solid state drive as boot - os

I was a dedicated Winpatrol Plus user for years - didn't like to be without it (I bought the lifetime "Plus" license because I really appreciated the years of fine service I'd had from it. The extra info you get with the "Plus" license is really no more than you would get from a quick web search on your own, but I knew that already and wanted to help keep such a good thing going). Then about the time it stating changing over to being a "cloud" app (about a year ago, or a little more) I started having major slow-downs in browsers and other software, and even a small but noticeable increase in boot-up time with WinPatrol running. If I uninstalled WP things went back to normal. I installed a slightly earlier version and everything was fine. A short search on the net showed a few posts from others that were experiencing the same. WP was being updated fairly often, and I tried three or four new versions as they were released, but the slow-down was still there, so I finally gave up and quit trying. I never got around to checking in with BillP (the developer) about the problem. I was about ready for a clean install around then, so I just reinstalled Windows and never worried much about it any more. I still consider the small license payment to be money well spent for the years of good use I had. If your problem is like mine was, it isn't going to go away on it's own. I would advise you to check in with BillP, as he was always very good about helping his users and he or someone at his site might have quick, easy solution. I'm using other softwares that cover what WinPatrol does,so i don't really need it, but I still highly recommend it.

cruelsister

Thanks for the confirmation. About supporting Bill I feel as you do (actually have purchased about 5 lifetime licenses in my time). The slowdown for me had been so gradual that I really didn't attribute it to WinPatrol. This changed when WP disabled itself on my laptop running Server 2008. I immediately noticed a ~20sec bootup difference. It was then that I realized that FF and Outlook, both of which have extensions of one type or another, on my desktop also had startup lags.

I really don't want to make any issue out of this as WP in the past has saved me from many heartaches and as you noted Bill is a Prince. But until I switch to an SSD and do some testing. looks like Scotty is going temporarily to the pound.

Archived