Good & Evil: A Matter of Perspective?

Tweety.Abd

Tweety.Abd

I was in an argument with someone the other day, and he said that what's good and bad is a matter of perspective, and therefore we require a standard set for what is good and what's not, which inevitably requires God. He gave me an example and it were as follows:

"Suppose a country that's running out of oil, it would be unquestionably good for the country to attack a country which has plenty of oil reserves, but it would be great evil for the country being attacked."

Further, he said:

"One man's terrorist, is another man's freedom fighter"

By all this he meant to emphasize on the fact that human beings require a standard model of what's good and bad, and that's where picture of God comes in. Towards the quoted Voltaire, saying: "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him".

I would like your thoughts on the matter. I would appreciate constructive criticism and repudiation of his analogy, offensive/hateful remarks ought to be avoided.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ambrocious

If you give into the point of view that it is only a matter of perspective, you are going to wind up being very entropic and destructive. You can develop a blind spot to life in many different ways; excuses can be made and your actions can be justified in order to get away with doing anything. It ultimately leads to prison or death....or you become the President of the United States.

You've having a minor existenital interlude in your life. Not to worrry - it's a sign of maturity / growing-up / getting smarter. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/existentialism Reading some Nietzsche is a good place to start. If your serious, IM me and I'll send you some lectures but be forewarned - it's deep, dark and hairy stuff <G>. Seriously, he's a good philosopher to read on this subject IMO.

Tweety.Abd

If you give into the point of view that it is only a matter of perspective, you are going to wind up being very entropic and destructive. You can develop a blind spot to life in many different ways; excuses can be made and your actions can be justified in order to get away with doing anything. It ultimately leads to prison or death....or you become the President of the United States.

That's the reason he said that we require a 'standard model' of morals. Without it, actions can be justified as you've mentioned, and for the standard model to work, it must come from a supreme being because we humans perceive what's right and what's wrong differently from one another.

UnderShadow

Man has lost his connection with his original nature whereby good and bad have become an interpretation of matters according to personal interests. For some this doesn't look quite right.

Truth, benevolence and tolerance are the characteristic of the universe and good and bad can be judged based on this characteristic. For more information go here: http://en.minghui.org/html/index.html

Archived