[SOLVED] Removed viruses but cannot search Google

Knightmare

Knightmare

I removed viruses from my friends computer and reset the hosts file back to its original state, but I still cannot search in Google. I can go to the site just fine, but when I try to search something, nothing happens. Google just sits there with no search results. I deleted a lot of settings that had been added in Firefox by the virus. I can ping google.com just fine. I've also tried flushing the dns and renewing the ip address. I checked the firewall settings, but I didn't see anything in there about Google being blocked. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remove firefox and clear everything.. then reinstall and check whether u can search in google.

Technology

I removed viruses from my friends computer and reset the hosts file back to its original state, but I still cannot search in Google. I can go to the site just fine, but when I try to search something, nothing happens. Google just sits there with no search results. I deleted a lot of settings that had been added in Firefox by the virus. I can ping google.com just fine. I've also tried flushing the dns and renewing the ip address. I checked the firewall settings, but I didn't see anything in there about Google being blocked. Any other suggestions?

Did you try Comodo Cleaning essential..It also happens to me, sometimes Google or youtube search engine doesn't work. I try to clean my cookies, trp and traces of visiting. I try again..I think its normal. But try CCE, to be on safe side.

Knightmare

Fixed it. Use Windows Repair from tweak.com. I just reset everything on the list and now it can search. X3 Pro Watch is the only thing that is malfunctioning but I don't like that program anyway because it blocks certain good sites and messes up the internet. That's probably the reason Google was acting funny. I might recommend a removal of that program.

I also had to use Revo to uninstall a program called Whitesmoke, which happens to be a virus. When I tried to uninstall the program via control panel, it asked me to restart the computer to run the uninstall file. After the restart, though, it popped up and asked me to restart in order to run the uninstall file, which I had done already. Revo managed to remove the program just fine.

• Administrator

Check the DNS too.

Missed your post. Good to hear. :)

Don't forget to use CCleaner. ;)

Archived