Instructions on how to overclock? :)

Alanon

Ok, so here's my situation. I have a massively old pc (bout 5 years), and it's high time i did something to it. XD I don't want to buy a new one just yet, so I thought I might try to overclock my CPU, as I've heard that mine is extremely convenient for such things. XD

Here's my setup:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2140 @1.6 GHz

ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 256MB series video card (pure crap, I know :( )

Motherboard: Foxconn 945 7AE series with Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG

also 3 GB of ram in two sticks (DDR2), on a Win XP 32-bit

Now I'm a hardware dumb-ass, and based on what I've read, there've been some people which were able to push the CPU up to 3GHz, and for it to remain stable!

I've tried to search through the forums for some instructions and wound up being confused. XD Since I've never done this before (and I've only ever used the BIOS to set up Windows boot source priority), I would appreciate detailed instructions as to how to proceed and not fuck up. XD

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overclocking is not only with the CPU business..It depends upon the mobo and the the RAM too..your config is just entry level and so outdated (don't mind please)..And, Alanon, I suggest, If you can afford a new system then only you should try the experiment..Do remember that OC directly plays with hardwares, not like software that you will pirate them and install B)

Also, there is no way you can overclock to 3ghz with stock cooling.

Cheers ;)

EDIT: Just look at temperature in this video. It's 49C and CPU is doing nothing since PC is in the BIOS. At higher load his CPU won't last long without better cooling.

Well, that's why I would like to ovrerclock it. I've been vying to get a new rig for a looong time now, and I just thought why not try to squeeze some more juice from it before it goes to retirement. XD

A question: Is there any point in using software clock changers, and if so, which ones? :)

Nope, overclocking in Bios is the best. Did you check out your BIOS? You need to find FSB clock in your BIOS, it can be in some other term. I think your CPU has 9x multiplier. So your stock FSB clock should be 177. Look for this value or similar. This will depend on mobo. I had one which had this option but not voltage control and my overclock was limited. Increase this value gradually. You may need to increase voltage if system is unstable. Voltage should be increased very slowly, like from 1,35 to 1,4. Increasing FSB clock will increase your RAM speed, so upping the voltage for RAM might be necessary

Cheers ;).

O, so I've been tinkering with these settings for a bit, and found the screen for overclocking:

Posted Image

There seemed to be these pre-sets for boosting the performance of the cpu, this Fox Intelligent Stepping, however, after that, I had to reset the CMOS, because it wouldn't boot up. I can still set every one of these fields manually. So what exactly of these values should I change and by how much? Do I have to mind the RAM as well?

I must be a moron. I've been trying to get it going, and for the life of me, it will not work past setting the clock +20. It refuses to boot. -.-

And I've experimented on various voltage levels, even no voltage level. And the motherboard said that it can go as high as 265. O.o

So, I could barely get it to 1.7 GHz. I've reverted back to default for now, until I can figure this out somehow. -.-

Archived