NOOB needs help re: drivers

baybee

Hey everyone ...

I did a "first" yeswterday ... a "clean reinstall" of

XP Home on my PC ... which was badly in need of same.

Anyways ... it went pretty smoothly, all things considered,

with one exception:

I couldn't load the drivers for my Viewsonic 20.1" LCD monitor

(model # VX2025wm) ... even though I had them on the

original Viewsonic CD that came with the monitor.

What's with that ? ...

Currently, when I scroll down any page (internet or otherwise)

I get a "jerky" effect as I scroll down ... I'm pretty sure that's

a drivers issue ... it sure never did that pre-clean install of XP.

Anyway ... this "jerky" effect, when scrolling, is majorly

annoying / distracting ... and any advice on how to get things

back to "normal" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone !

t.

• Replies 12
  • Views 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey everyone ...

with one exception:

What's with that ? ...

Thanks everyone !

t.

Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then the Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager, and you will see which item's driver need to be updated.

(Those that have a ?)

Just select whichever item and right click to select update driver, insert you disk and just follow the wizard instruction.

Hey everyone ...

with one exception:

What's with that ? ...

Thanks everyone !

t.

Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then the Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager, and you will see which item's driver need to be updated.

(Those that have a ?)

Just select whichever item and right click to select update driver, insert you disk and just follow the wizard instruction.

most likely that jerky effect will go away after you complete all updated from windows update...it will give you, eventually new updated drivers for your system...or if you know who made your video card and know the model you can go to the manufacturers web site and get the most current video card drivers from there

Just do a Windows Update or go to your device manager try and update the drivers with the yellow question mark "?" or just simply Update in windows. ;)

It's the graphics card drivers for sure :P Which graphics card are you using? I'll find you the drivers ;)

It's the graphics card drivers for sure :clap: Which graphics card are you using? I'll find you the drivers :think:

Hi ... my PC is a "stock" HP a1626n

I don't think it has any "stand alone" graphics card ... just whatever was built into the motherboard. Same goes for the audio.

I tried the advice of previous posters ... went into "device manager", right clicked on the items that had a yellow question mark,

clicked on update drivers, etc.

It seemed like an easy process. Unfortunately, after trying to dwonload the first updates ... my PC crashed ... repeatedly ... and I'd just finished a "clean install" ... so this shouldn't be happening.

I couldn't even log on, and the darn PC would crash. I decided to haul out my XP Home disc, and use it to do a "repair" ... that solved the crashing problem. The PC is running smoothly again.

But I still don't have sound / graphic drivers installed.

What happened / went wrong ???

Thanks everyone

I've done a quick search for you and got to the driver/software download page from HP for your model.

Driver/Software Download page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3254009

I searched for a graphics card driver and found it, it seems your MoBo has the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE(Original NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics Drivers) built in.

They can be found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3254009

I also searched for your audio drivers and it seems that you have the Realtek HD Audio built in(Original Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers).

They can be found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3254009

As you can see I made both the 'Original's bold. This is because I want to make a point. Fall 2006 means they got released Fall 2006(obviously). That's not really interesting, but it does prove that these can be pretty outdated. The 'Original' kicks in here, Original meaning that they didn't adjust them for your PC, but just got them from the NVIDIA and Realtek driver download pages. So you can(most likely update your systems to newer drivers. If you don't feel comfortable with this you shouldn't and just stick with the 2006 ones, but I recommend updating as almost nothing can go wrong.

The latest NVIDIA driver for your product: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

The latest Realtek driver for your product: ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_R202.exe (I could only get a direct link as the download page would redirect me to an earlier page :wacko: But I am sure this is the one for your product :think:)

A 'quick search' turned into a whole searching :clap:

Thanks everyone, and especially "Shought" ...

Those links worked perfectly ... I DL the Nvidia 6150LE file from HP's website ...

and "perfecto" !! No more "jerky" screen when scrolling down.

Yayyyyy !!!!! You folks are awesome !!! (I won't tell you how many hours I've

spent trying to solve this problem on my own ... you'd laugh at me :welcome: .... )

Anyway ... this was such a simple solution, and something I'll always remember

to do, when/if I ever need to do another clean install of XP in the future.

Thanks again !

Theresa

ps. Has nsane's site (nsanedown) been "offline" very long ??? Does anyone knoe if it's

going to be back working again ??? ... I miss it !! )

Thanks everyone, and especially "Shought" ...

Those links worked perfectly ... I DL the Nvidia 6150LE file from HP's website ...

and "perfecto" !! No more "jerky" screen when scrolling down.

Yayyyyy !!!!! You folks are awesome !!! (I won't tell you how many hours I've

spent trying to solve this problem on my own ... you'd laugh at me :welcome: .... )

Anyway ... this was such a simple solution, and something I'll always remember

to do, when/if I ever need to do another clean install of XP in the future.

Thanks again !

Theresa

ps. Has nsane's site (nsanedown) been "offline" very long ??? Does anyone knoe if it's

going to be back working again ??? ... I miss it !! )

No problemo :welcome:

About the frontpage: It should be online again some time today, as we used up all the bandwidth of previous month. But from where I'm at there's probably time difference involved as the site is hosted in the US.

Once again, Shought has gone over and above the call of duty. you are a huge benefit to the site. Thank you
Well done shought. Gj spending time to help fellow members.

Thanks you guys, appreciate this ;)

Solving problems is my thing you know... Causing them is just so I don't get out of work :)

ps baybee, the site wasn't offline for 'very long'. Time is relative, so it might've been longer for you than for me, but it was about two days.

Archived