Linksys Routers

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Dear Readers,

Well getting a bit bleh with the current router that i have.

NETGEAR WGR614v7

Given that when port forwarding the things DISAPPEAR off the list. Can RESET the Router, but when adding new ports again, same problem...

Not only that but seems a lot of Users agree that NETGEAR isn't that great anymore, although I still like their white designs.

But anyway, thought to get it replaced with another Router and just thought I'd seek out some of your opinions.

Pricerange for me would definitely be UNDER $100, and highest I might go would be hmmm $80?

And my friend recommended 2 options from Linksys which you can find;

-WRT54G2

-WRT160N

Basically a Router that I can just go to a Retail Store (BestBuy/Circuit City).

Other options my friend suggested would be Routers made by D-Link/Belkin.

At the moment I am quite open to suggestions... And for Wireless N, ehh not too sure if I really need that just yet, given that I don't really use the WireLess except for my Laptop, and even then I don't go 'FAR' from the Router.

But yeah if you need more info just ask, and your opinions are much appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

I ended up going with This One

And after setting it up...

Don't really know how to mess with the QoS feature, don't do much gaming anyway...

But the thing that did strike me immedietly was with uTorrent.. As it reports that Router as not having UPnP capabilities, when I know it does givent aht I have it Enabled... So not too sure what's up with that.

Also for the Built In FireWall... I assume I check all of the following?

Block Anonymous Internet Requests

Filter Multicast

Filter Internet NAT Redirection

Filter IDENT(Port 113)

I still think netgear is better than linksys. I am working on a guys network right now with a brand new linksys and it doesnt work worth crap. I had ran 3 separate networks in Iraq last year with new linksys routers and most of them were crap.

SacredCultivator

Unno, I do like Netgears designs... but yeah my past ones were of Linksys, but that was old as it was wired only. But yeah never really had too many problems but that could be because i haven't ran through many Routers.

believe me, tomato firmware will improve allot. It also raises the limits on maximum connections for P2P, and it is very easy to open u'r ports. So no upnp needed (this is a feature who automaticly opens port, but is also still not very safe)

SacredCultivator

@dumble: Hmmm could you perhaps provide a link to 'tomato firewall' as I am oblivious to it and pretty easy to use? As I know you can just port forward, but i am used to UPnP.

Hehe as again Ihave it enabled but in the uTorrent log I get this:

[08:05:11] UPnP(XP): TCP port 52082 -> 192.168.1.100:52082 mapped successfully.

[08:05:11] UPnP(XP): UDP port 52082 -> 192.168.1.100:52082 mapped successfully.

[08:05:12] UPnP: Discovered host: http://192.168.1.1:2869/IGatewayDeviceDescDoc

[08:05:12] UPnP: Discovered host: http://192.168.1.1:2869/IGatewayWFADeviceDescDoc

[08:05:12] UPnP: The device "WFADevice" is not a UPnP router (http://192.168.1.1:2869/IGatewayWFADeviceDescDoc)

[08:05:12] UPnP: Device error "http://192.168.1.1:2869/IGatewayWFADeviceDescDoc": (-2)

Anyway, for the Built In FireWall... I assume I check all of the following?

Block Anonymous Internet Requests

Filter Multicast

Filter Internet NAT Redirection

Filter IDENT(Port 113)\

---

EDIT:

Foudn the site and read the FAQ, I don't think my Router is supported, I mean I know it is a WRT54G, but it is WRT54G2, which isn't on the list so I don't know if it is compatible... More or less I wouldn't know how to go about setting things up if I did use it (If compatible)

Linksys router isn't that bad I have no problem with it in my other work place but don't try Wireless G Cable Gateway (WCG200). It sucks =/ I keep getting disconnect without and reason. Most of the time it happen when my laptop and desktop is surfing net at the same time.

• 1 month later...
PsychoticxBloodxLust

I have netgear wirelessN which i got as refurb for $40 from WOOT! not sure the model as i'm at college not living at home...

I'm looking at getting a D-Link Gaming Lounge Wireless N, My buddy got one and get ridculess dl speeds pluged in and on wireless lol ticks me off cause i have higher connection speed then him and 20x better pc and he dling and upling 2 maybe 3 times faster then me

I won't get it till after i finish this year of college out it will be a gift to myself for makeing it 2 my Jr. year lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived