How good is this processor?

mrkool123

How good is the AMD FX-8120,3.1 GHz.For general multitasking and gaming.When pared with a 2GB radeon hd 7770.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like AMD bulldozer series and it is very high profile CPU..But recently I have heard that it has some bugs came out..don't know what kind of bug but still bugs..For gaming I would prefer a sandy i5-2500k cause there are few games and apps that utilizes more than 3 cores and the FX8120 has 6 cores if I am not wrong..HD 7770 is perfect for stunning visuals and performance, no doubt about that.. :)

Frosticles

Personally i would go with something like an intel i5 ivy bridge 3570K, or if you dont plan on overclocking it then go with a slightly lower end ivy bridge i5

calguyhunk

Hi Mrcool, it's very difficult to advise on hardware without knowing the overall budget, parts required and the exact intended usage of your system.

In general though, unless you're looking at 3D modelling (and in that case you'll do well to check out pro GPU's rather than mainstream/gaming ones), not only will you not accrue any benefits from 8 cores, they'll actually under-perform both Intel's current as well as last gen quad-core range (Ivy and Sandy Bridge respectively).

The current Bulldozer CPU's from AMD are just not good enough. If you're really into AMD, get a Phenom IIx4 9xx with an AM3+ board and wait for the new BD chips to drop. Hopefully, they'll be worth the wait ;)

Also, by gaming if you mean you're a serious gamer, that GPU is just not gonna be strong enough on a high resolution 1080p monitor especially if you're looking to play gfx intensive games on high/med-high.

I can recommend you a build based on your exact usage, budget, monitor resolution, and info on what new parts you need and what parts you wanna recycle from your last build (if any-with details).

Well the 7770 isn't a highend card, but more like a current entry level gaming card. You won't be able to run everything on ultra in games, but it will do quite good in games like Diablo 3, League of Legends, CoD MW3 etc. Don't expect to play BF3 on ultra though. It might even have a hard time running it on high. But if you are going for a AMD setup then thats a perfectly fine setup and they will go well together, even though a overclocked I5-2500k will do better.

You might want to get a red card and put together a red system :P. Add some red LED's inside the case and you get yourself a nicelooking red AMD system :P.

• Administrator

You might wanna consider 6850 HD instead. It's a powerful enough monster. Though 7770 is newer one with higher clock and better nanometre size, 6850 out performs 7770 in all the tests I've seen (because it has more power inside it). And here, both 7770 and 6850 are priced at the same amount of money (with few dollars here and there). I'll advice you go for 6850 if you are getting one soon.

Archived