Webroot SAE bug -.-

Alanon

So, upon reinstalling Webroot for some reason, I've gotten myself into a pickle. No matter what setting I use, or how many times do I reinstall it, It locks up my PC whenever it analyses a new application with the heuristics engine. it simply freezes the whole PC for up to 3-4 minutes before popping up with a query like - the application is trying to load a system driver. The only solution is to disable heusristics, which is something I don't want to do. I've tried older versions too, and it's the same (I can't get into closed beta, as you need an invite or something, so I haven't attempted that). So as a last resort, I reinstalled PrevX 3.0 by shajt, set everything to MAX, just for the hell of it, and it runs without a hitch. O.o

Now I have an old PC, which is why I wanted WSAE in the first place. I've XP SP3 x32, 3GB of ram, and an Intel Dual core @1,6 GHz. So go figure. -.- I really like the way Webroot is developing, but I just can't stand anymore lock-ups. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? I figure that PrevX is still good enough, while maintained it will have the same cloud, and should give similar protection, but Webroot is the future, and I'd like to have it onboard. :pos:

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried asking on wilders or Webroots own forum? Well worth a try if you really want to sort it out. Their customer service was also good when I've used it ;)

Yeah, thought about Wilders, but I've been dragging the idea through my head, cause I hate to fuss abput getting into another forum. XDDDDD

Nsane is my main forum, others would simply get neglected, and I hate being a forum absentee.

But I guess I'll have to, if no one here gets any ideas. ;)

Sl@pSh0ck™

What other security apps do you have running along with webroot? (firewall, av etc.)

Malware Defender, Key Scrambler (the first thing I removed, but the problem persists, now it's back and works OK with PrevX), Sandboxie, AdMuncher.

On-demand MBAM and Hitman, and that's it.

Sl@pSh0ck™

Disabling the huerestics solved the problem for you right? What was your huerestics setting before? Have you changed the default settings like move it a notch higher?

I have mine set to default and not having any problems at all.

Posted Image

I have both Admuncher and sandboxie running real time as well. So that leave us with Malware Defender or Keyscrambler. You said you have tried removing keyscrambler but to no effect, tried removing malware defender or atleast disable it for a while to see if that would make things better?

The only thing that works is disabling it. I've tried default, everything a notch higher, a notch lower, everything max, everything to the smallest, etc... But whenever Webroot stops a process to analyse it, everything grinds to a hault.

Sl@pSh0ck™

You must have been typing while I was editing my post. Tried disabling/uninstalling Malware defender yet?

Technology

Did you try email Webroot, developers about the issue you having..That's the best option..Oh, by the way did you disable Windows Defender while running Webroot.

Technology

You must have been typing while I was editing my post.

What a coincidence.. ;)

Heh, yeah, wha a fluke. :)

MD's been in learning mode while I was trying to tweak Webroot settings.

I got the 8.0.1.179 beta trial, am not gonna touch anything, and run some apps to see if that somehow makes a difference.

Technology

Heh, yeah, wha a fluke. :)

MD's been in learning mode while I was trying to tweak Webroot settings.

I got the 8.0.1.179 beta trial, am not gonna touch anything, and run some apps to see if that somehow makes a difference.

If you don't mind me asking, why you so into Webroot..

Not really into it, just find it very promising. :)

Used to use PrevX, so it's the logical step. In my oppinion, the cloud is the best way to go in terms of protection. Over the years I've tried many reputable products (Kaspersky, Nod, Avast, Avira, AVG (though I would hardly call AVG reputable), Emsisoft (my No. 2 choice), etc.), and saw that because I browse pretty carefully, and have a classical HIPS and keyscrambler, sandboxie, a hosts file manager with over 200k of addresses blocked, stc... I hardly need a fully dedicated AV. So I said, OK, if that's so, I'll run Webroot, cause it's a good enough app, which is unnoticable as far as memory goes. So there you have it. :)

UPDATE: With this beta installed, none of the apps currently installed stalls. And that's with MD fully operational. Will have to wait a couple of days to see if anything happens. :)

Sl@pSh0ck™

That's good to hear! Now if you can share that beta key and installer, I'm just a PM away :rofl:

Greg Davis

Hi Alanon,

This is Greg from the Webroot Support Team.

I've read through this thread and it seems like you have already tried changing the basic Heusitics settings to no avail. Your system exceeds the installation requirements and the other software you have installed should not cause conflicts. The one thing I can suggest that you try is to boot into Safe Mode with Network and run a scan from there. Given how small Webroot SecureAnywhere is in both size and resource usage, this type of issue is definitly something that our Technical Support team would like to take a look at. Please click on the link below to easily submit a Support ticket.

https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Once you submit a Ticket one of our team members will contact you with instructions on how to send your Log files to them and further instructions.

Thanks,

Greg

So, upon reinstalling Webroot for some reason, I've gotten myself into a pickle. No matter what setting I use, or how many times do I reinstall it, It locks up my PC whenever it analyses a new application with the heuristics engine. it simply freezes the whole PC for up to 3-4 minutes before popping up with a query like - the application is trying to load a system driver. The only solution is to disable heusristics, which is something I don't want to do. I've tried older versions too, and it's the same (I can't get into closed beta, as you need an invite or something, so I haven't attempted that). So as a last resort, I reinstalled PrevX 3.0 by shajt, set everything to MAX, just for the hell of it, and it runs without a hitch. O.o

Now I have an old PC, which is why I wanted WSAE in the first place. I've XP SP3 x32, 3GB of ram, and an Intel Dual core @1,6 GHz. So go figure. -.- I really like the way Webroot is developing, but I just can't stand anymore lock-ups. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? I figure that PrevX is still good enough, while maintained it will have the same cloud, and should give similar protection, but Webroot is the future, and I'd like to have it onboard. :pos:

Archived