Help with backing up datas

AeonFulx

Well I'm not sure which forum i should post this but. I'm having problem with my laptop and I can't boot it up. Not even safe mode... I was wondering can I backup using Ethernet cable which link to my desktop. Because I have this program came with my laptop which able me to backup data and it allow me to search computer near me if i'm connected using Ethernet.

• Replies 15
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I'm not sure which forum i should post this but. I'm having problem with my laptop and I can't boot it up. Not even safe mode... I was wondering can I backup using Ethernet cable which link to my desktop. Because I have this program came with my laptop which able me to backup data and it allow me to search computer near me if i'm connected using Ethernet.

I am not sure as to what you problem is but i think that back up program you mention you have will only work if your laptop will boot up...first this is what you need once your up and running again. A program called drive clone pro OR acronis true image...both will back up your entire hard drive ( or just any one of the partitions or just particular files ) to a separate partition or even a USB hard drive. they both have the ability to run before boot so you can do a complete restore before windows begins OR you can either use a boot disk the program makes to start the restore. Drive clone pro also takes system snapshots that can be used to restore to a previous state also.

for help getting your laptop to boot up please give us more info...what program you just installed recently, did you delete any files...what does the computer do exactly when you press the power button... any windows error codes...

As a last resort you could always take the laptop apart and connect the HD to your desktop, but don't start with that yet, we will probably be able to solve this without such a drastic solution.

I was hoping to use Windows XP disc to repair but apparently the repair function is not available. Yes I have acronis true image and I'm not sure how do I use that.

Recently I just installed BOOTVIS and run it according to the tutorial here http://www.nsaneforums.com/index.php?showtopic=10641

I follow everything correctly but xD sucks to be me...

When does your computer stop booting/get stuck? What does the screen show right before/the moment of the freeze/stop? You did try booting into safe mode didn't you??

I was hoping to use Windows XP disc to repair but apparently the repair function is not available. Yes I have acronis true image and I'm not sure how do I use that.

Recently I just installed BOOTVIS and run it according to the tutorial here http://www.nsaneforums.com/index.php?showtopic=10641

I follow everything correctly but xD sucks to be me...

did your computer boot after installing bootvis?

bearoninternet

At first, i'd suggest to startup with win 98 boot disk / floppy which you can find here.

Make sure you have startup from disk / floppy set up correctly in your boot sector.

After startup form bootdisk / floppy, run chkdsk.exe to see if anything is wrong the harddrive.

If not, most likely the boot sector got damaged :rolleyes: .

Did you create any partitions?

We really need a lot more information what happens when you try to boot normal, in order to help you out.

Do you get the " no startup disk present " message?

Oh well I can't really see the error message. It load until Windows XP boot screen come out and after awhile blue screen of death appear so fast and the computer reboot again. Yes my computer boot after installing Bootvis and it was fine until the next reboot.

Yes I should have partitions because I have a C and a D drive in 1 HDD.

Oh it didn't work too. When it was loading some file i forgot and it dies with the blue screen of death... I tired using Windows XP disc to do repair but that option isn't available to me. I'm left with very little option like acronis true image and I have norton ghost but i never use it before.

Last solution will be ripping out my HDD... Which i still have my warranty which is not a good idea.

I can boot to acronis true image but not the OS. I can do backup of certient files i want over there but is it reliable to do that? From there I will format my hdd and retrieve back the data later. But I don't have any disc that came with my laptop call acronis true image. Maybe i lost it... Is that a problem?

I can boot to acronis true image but not the OS. I can do backup of certient files i want over there but is it reliable to do that? From there I will format my hdd and retrieve back the data later. But I don't have any disc that came with my laptop call acronis true image. Maybe i lost it... Is that a problem?

You actually needed to do a back up BEFORE you ran into this boot problem**....All you will do now is to back up the hard drive to the point it is in now ,where it does not boot. I suggest you try to boot to the last known configuration that worked then see if you can do a repair install with your XP disk.... other option is to back up your personal files only... then do a format and clean install of you windows operating system. Always remember the more you screw around with the settings in windows the more you run the risk of having this problem you have now so it is best to have a back up program and know how to use it BEFORE you make changes to the boot or any other important systems. lie i stated before drive clone pro gives you two options to restore.... one is a total restore(it can also just do specific files from that image) OR it can do a similar option that simply sets you computer back to a restore point set before the problems occurred... and it does this BEFORE windows begins to load so you can totally screw your system up and always recover

You actually needed to do a back up BEFORE you ran into this boot problem**....All you will do now is to back up the hard drive to the point it is in now ,where it does not boot.

But if he'd backup the HD to a USB-HD or a couple DVDs he could insert them into another PC and get his personal files back from there. I think if you want to get your whole system and every file on it back up it's gonna be pretty tough, but if you just want some files back you can try what I just said.

yes i totally agree ...what i am trying to get him to do is for after he gets up and running again that he makes sure to have reliable back ups for his personal data AND his operating system too... before he tries to tweak his system again...to many people try to do too many tweaks and end up loosing irreplaceable files such as personal photos and documents all because they forget to or have no idea how to have their data backed up to separate hard drives from the original data

Ah thank you guys! I manage to back up my data and got it reformatted! Because previously acronis true image that came with the laptop set it able to load this program before boot by pressing F11. Since I never use such program I take a risk xD and back up my personal files.

It works like a charm! I tried repair (I have no idea why i got this option to do it suddenly) and it manage to fix and load to the windows but much of the stuff already screwed up so I reformat it. Thanks for the help guys!

Ah thank you guys! I manage to back up my data and got it reformatted! Because previously acronis true image that came with the laptop set it able to load this program before boot by pressing F11. Since I never use such program I take a risk xD and back up my personal files.

It works like a charm! I tried repair (I have no idea why i got this option to do it suddenly) and it manage to fix and load to the windows but much of the stuff already screwed up so I reformat it. Thanks for the help guys!

just make sure to do regular backups now with acronis...and keep system restore on...

Archived