Matroska : Somethings New and Intresting

Ambrocious

I was downloading a video and well lets just say that I played the movie on my computer and the video and audio were outstandingly great. I wanted to burn it with Nero thinking that it would surly do so but it is not under the supported files!

I checked the file info and it turned out to be formatted in not in any normal codec, but more like formatted in a package. I went to their site at

http://www.matroska.org/

and found this of great interest to me. I myself am always on the look for new and better codec packages for the best performance but this new thing known as Matroska (not so sure if it's really that new, I might be living under a rock) seems to have a grand promising future ahead of it's self.

First off, it's open source...TO EVERYONE...including major companies and other corporations. I thought maybe anyone with experience with this sort of stuff might find ways of using this for a great benefit. Not sure what else to say and I don't want to waste your time and so if this seems interesting to you or your not sure if it is worth looking at, take a peek and then lets hear some thoughts on this new packaging software.

• Replies 8
  • Views 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bearoninternet
I was downloading a video and well lets just say that I played the movie on my computer and the video and audio were outstandingly great. I wanted to burn it with Nero thinking that it would surly do so but it is not under the supported files!

I checked the file info and it turned out to be formatted in not in any normal codec, but more like formatted in a package. I went to their site at

http://www.matroska.org/

and found this of great interest to me. I myself am always on the look for new and better codec packages for the best performance but this new thing known as Matroska (not so sure if it's really that new, I might be living under a rock) seems to have a grand promising future ahead of it's self.

First off, it's open source...TO EVERYONE...including major companies and other corporations. I thought maybe anyone with experience with this sort of stuff might find ways of using this for a great benefit. Not sure what else to say and I don't want to waste your time and so if this seems interesting to you or your not sure if it is worth looking at, take a peek and then lets hear some thoughts on this new packaging software.

Looks interesting, will follow that for a while, ty! :o

so...

you surely mask the file extention on your pc (not safe), or you would have seen the unusual .mkv extention.

yes, you are a bit late about Matroska.

the Matroska project begin on december 7, 2002

and everyone can use it since may 2003.

but, to be fair, it's not use often.

mkv is a great format...but pretty difficult to convert to other thing.

not every video software can read it.

and pretty much no usual video converter can convert it.

the easier way to try to convert it would be to use mkv2vob

and this one don't always work...

wiki of Matroska, en

wiki of Matroska, fr

let me guess, the video file had a ".mkv" extension right?

well if you have k-lite mega codec pack and vlc or any video player you should be able to play them.

the reason as to why mkv is better that your day to day extension is because a mkv file can contain both an english audio file and a jap one, a german one you get the point.

also a mkv can be encoded as many time as you see fit, unlike avi, which can only be encoded once

Matroska is not new at all, it's been around for years, and as great as it is, it's usually a pain in the a** to convert, but now most player can play it easily (with the right codec pack of course).

Matroska (MKV) has one main advantage, is you can "package" streams, chapters, and even fonts in a single file and switch between them (somewhat) easily.

Yeah I must have been living in a cave. It just looked pretty cool and I thought that it looked as if it had potential but then I am hearing how hard it is to recode it and it makes me wonder why such a good thing hasn't blossomed yet. Well it is indeed open source and I think it would be worth tinkering with if any has the skills to do it and the time for that matter.

I was also thinking about something else too. Is it possible to create a running media player that is installable INTO a video so as to not really install any codec hence the video simply needs to load the video codec from the internet before the video is played and it is stored in a temp file that is removed once the video is stopped? This would allow you to never need an individual player for things if the video file was made with an installed video player that can instantly download the proper codec from the internet and would take up very little space. I was thinking that Matroska had this possibility if tweaked...but then again I know little about tech possibilities...just a dreamer here.

SacredCultivator

I could be wrong here but for Multiple Streams you can do wthat with any container... as with my Fansub group I do both H264(.mp4) + XviD(.avi) encodes with Dual Audios (Main Track + Instrumental), but agree that .mkv you are able to just 'encode' it over and over again.

I generally dont like using .,mkv, and am glad that it isn't a 'constant' with video files and am happy that ther eare still .avi's as even with .mp4's I have trouble working with them in regards to fansubbing(Encoding)

I could be wrong here but for Multiple Streams you can do wthat with any container... as with my Fansub group I do both H264(.mp4) + XviD(.avi) encodes with Dual Audios (Main Track + Instrumental), but agree that .mkv you are able to just 'encode' it over and over again.

I generally dont like using .,mkv, and am glad that it isn't a 'constant' with video files and am happy that ther eare still .avi's as even with .mp4's I have trouble working with them in regards to fansubbing(Encoding)

You have a fansub group? Thats pretty cool. What are you guys called (just wondering)?

mkv's always provide me with great quality and size.

But I don't use them anymore because when I encode files it's usually to mp4 for my Ipod or Avi when I upload them to Usenet or Torrents.

I tried using mkv, but there aren't allot of people who know what to do with it.

Archived