Issue with video card. Need help!

sanjoa

Hi, everybody! I've got issues with my video card, an old nVidia XFX GeForce 7300GS: it started to fail. Sometimes my screen went black as I power off the whole computer and sometimes it does artifacts. So, I've opened the case, and found it was dirty and extremely hot, so I've cleaned it, but the problem follows. The cooler is not working and I don't have enough money to buy a new one, can it be fixed or replaced? The actual temperature of the GPU is 77 °C :omg: . Thanks in advance

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Moved to Technology Talk.

Hi, everybody! I've got issues with my video card, an old nVidia XFX GeForce 7300GS: it started to fail. Sometimes my screen went black as I power off the whole computer and sometimes it does artifacts. So, I've opened the case, and found it was dirty and extremely hot, so I've cleaned it, but the problem follows. The cooler is not working and I don't have enough money to buy a new one, can it be fixed or replaced? The actual temperature of the GPU is 77 °C :omg: . Thanks in advance

Most likely a point in the solder failed from the card getting to hot. If you have a hot air gun, use it for about 2 minutes on the back of the card. This will usually fix bad solder points (I fix laptop video cards all the time with this method).. Just make sure you keep the hot air gun moving at all times. Unless you fix the cooling problem though the point will end up failing again. It shouldn't be to hard to find a cooling solution that will work with your video card online.

Bro, playing with these is very crucial. If you have laptop,i wound suggest take it to the technician. if you have desktop than it easy to fix the problem. Even myself the similar problem on my laptop, I and my friend tried to fix the problem, it didn't work. Your best bet will be to take it to the shop or if you want to risk then go ahead,,

Laptop video much harder to fix and/or replace altogether. Better off buying a new laptop if its a laptop....... on the other hand if its a desktop, just replace the video card with the appropriate slot kind (PCI/AGP/PCI-E)

The most modern type is PCI-E video slot... its now version 3.0 on some machines :)

Bro, playing with these is very crucial. If you have laptop,i wound suggest take it to the technician. if you have desktop than it easy to fix the problem. Even myself the similar problem on my laptop, I and my friend tried to fix the problem, it didn't work. Your best bet will be to take it to the shop or if you want to risk then go ahead,,

Point well taking, but if you work on electronics all the time it's no big deal. I do agree you should take it to someone that fixes electronics all the time. I just read the post again and saw that this was a PC card and not a laptop card so I wouldn't recommend my method unless a professional was doing it because you might end up heating up the card to much and have capacitors shoot off the card which can be very dangerous.

The one thing that always makes me laugh is all the people that try baking the card in the oven LOL. Way to much heat.

Cooling is necessary for a dedicated video card to work properly..

Manage some money and get a new cooler for your card..else, the day is not so far when you will post in nsane as your video card is not working..

Each day for excessive heating the life of your card will be reduced considerably and will be dead soon..

So be a smart guy, and get a new cooler 'cause it will come cheaper than a new video card..

Cooling is necessary for a dedicated video card to work properly..

Manage some money and get a new cooler for your card..else, the day is not so far when you will post in nsane as your video card is not working..

Each day for excessive heating the life of your card will be reduced considerably and will be dead soon..

So be a smart guy, and get a new cooler 'cause it will come cheaper than a new video card..

I haven't found a compatible cooler yet :( . Hope I found one ASAP

I haven't found a compatible cooler yet :( . Hope I found one ASAP

yeah, your card is very old..don't worry, keep searching in some antique shop

So, I've opened the case, and found it was dirty and extremely hot, so I've cleaned it, but the problem follows. The cooler is not working and I don't have enough money to buy a new one, can it be fixed or replaced? The actual temperature of the GPU is 77 °C :omg: . Thanks in advance

Many desktop units can continue to function with the graphics card completely removed (depending on the motherboard.) This is not the problem once the required adjustments are made at the BIOS.

Now, the real problem is trying to run your system without a cooler. Why are you risking the extreme (inevitable) cost of having to replace your motherboard, CPU and God knows how many other peripherals??? :o

If I were you I'd divert my focus from the card to the cooler and open a fresh post on the cooler specification with exhaustive details calling for help to fix it IMMEDIATELY (given your lack of finances, ATM.)

Here's one I found: http://www.shopsws.com/heatsinks-fans/video-card-coolers/red-evercool-mini-ufo-universal-aluminium-vga-cooler-for-nvidia-and-ati-series-video-cards.html

If you just google u'll find tons of options. But tbh, I would just go ghetto and fix it myself, it's quite an old card after all.. Just get a 80 mm fan and attach it securely on the old heatsink (prob. best to remove the old fan first). Also, perhaps apply some Arctic Silver or such under the heatsink and I bet it would even run just fine passive, but better be safe and put a fan on anyway. Good luck!

i also have a Toshiba x200 , and 2 other x205, that i was obliged to buy in Ebay and Amazon to fix the M***F*** BSOD issue, that the VIDEO CARD have. It seems that all the 8 version and probably the 7 also have a birth defect! :angry:

You can search for aditional infos at " www.nvidiadefect.com "

Thank you all for your help. I've found a replacement cooler for my video card. I couldn't fix the cooler. I'll get it here in a week

Too much hassle with a new cooler or trying to fix it etc. Your only real solution is to buy another GPU, but the problem is that your GPU is so damn old that its hard to find one. That damn thing is antique and it runs off the old PCI Express bus. Your only real option is to buy a used PCI-E card from a place like ebay or another auction website.

Have a look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GeForce-8600-GT-PX8600GTTDH512MB-for-PARTS-/170832019501?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item27c661c02d#ht_583wt_905

Archived